5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Window Tint PCM Issue

Sunman54

Reaction score
I've noted all the posts regarding this issue but my question is why/what actually causes it? Can't be the water pressure the installer uses? If spraying the windows with water then what about driving through a torrential thunderstorm downpour in a stock non-tinted RAM? Would the water get in through the window seals while driving? Why does water penetrate with tint installation but not say washing the car either at home or even a car wash or even the thunderstorm? Don't own a RAM but thinking of buying one. Thanks

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The tint is put on the inside. If they don't put a rope or something to block the water from running down into the dash, it can short out the BCM that is mounted on the drivers side kick panel area. They can also remove it prior to installing.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The BCM is located under the dash on the driver kick panel high up by the windshield. It's protected from outside elements but not from tint installers that squeegee a bunch a water down the bottom of the windshield and channels to the BCM. It can be avoided by sticking water absorbing towel rope at bottom of windshield to capture the water. I'm actually suprised on many folks tint windshields considering in most cases it's illegal(not judging) but I guess that comes with truck modding at times.
22e9a885451e708db7bb251795793f84.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

RamBum

Reaction score
Personally, I got the windshield tinted to keep out UV rays. It's a very light tint and barely noticeable. I've had skin cancer issues and every little bit helps.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Personally, I got the windshield tinted to keep out UV rays. It's a very light tint and barely noticeable. I've had skin cancer issues and every little bit helps.
That's my plan too.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The BCM is located under the dash on the driver kick panel high up by the windshield. It's protected from outside elements but not from tint installers that squeegee a bunch a water down the bottom of the windshield and channels to the BCM. It can be avoided by sticking water absorbing towel rope at bottom of windshield to capture the water. I'm actually suprised on many folks tint windshields considering in most cases it's illegal(not judging) but I guess that comes with truck modding at times.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
I tinted the rear doors and rear window with as close to clear as I could and tint matched the front doors and put a barely-noticeable tint on the windshield. Not only UV protection, but for many of us in the Valley of the Sun, the heat (IR) rejection is just as important.

Sunman54

Reaction score
I've never added window tint to any of my cars/trucks so didn't realize it was an inside the window install. Now I see why the issues. Thanks

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did 35% on the windshield and have no issues. I did double check with the installer a rope would be used and a full dash mat as well. 35% is where it’s at. During the day I don’t have to wear sunglasses and during the night in back country roads I can still see just fine.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did 35% on the windshield and have no issues. I did double check with the installer a rope would be used and a full dash mat as well. 35% is where it’s at. During the day I don’t have to wear sunglasses and during the night in back country roads I can still see just fine.
I did 55 on my windshield and it works great. So, your signature should be updated to read 35%?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I still wear sunglasses, but I agree, 35% is the magic number for windshield. Dark enough to help keep cool during the day, but not dark enough to make driving at night bad. Esoeywith the factory LED lighting. I can't comment about how well it would work if you have halogen headlights

John Galt

Reaction score
I'm actually suprised on many folks tint windshields considering in most cases it's illegal(not judging)
clear tint is pretty legal in all but the commiest of states.

cuts down on interior heating up and also the sun ruining your leather dash.

6of36

Reaction score
clear tint is pretty legal in all but the commiest of states.

cuts down on interior heating up and also the sun ruining your leather dash.
Michigan any tint on the windshield is illegal, more than 4" from the top. Same with front windows. Anything in front of the driver's seat back.

John Galt

Reaction score
Michigan any tint on the windshield is illegal, more than 4" from the top. Same with front windows. Anything in front of the driver's seat back.
clear tint is totally legal here….and tinting front side windows is a very common dealer tack-on to justify $1000 “dealer prep” fees.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I've never added window tint to any of my cars/trucks so didn't realize it was an inside the window install. Now I see why the issues. Thanks

Sometimes it can be confusing, because many installers will start working with the outside window to size, cut and shrink the tint prior actually installing on the inside, which can easily give the impression the tint is installed on the outside.

6of36

Reaction score
clear tint is totally legal here….and tinting front side windows is a very common dealer tack-on to justify $1000 “dealer prep” fees.
I know many states it is legal. Michigan is one of those commie states you were talking about.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In addition to the rope, my installer put a folded up towel over the BCM. I also got windshield tinted for UV.

Users who are viewing this thread