5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Window Tint Install Opinion

udpumpkin

Reaction score
I had ceramic tint installed on the side and rear windows of my new 1500. The first time the sun hit the windows after the tint was installed, I noticed lots of tool marks. I have attached a picture of the worst one but there are probably a half dozen 1/2" size marks on each window. I contacted the installer and he said give it a week for it to dry and that a couple of small specks are typical.

The tint was Sungard Vortex IR. Anyone have experience with a similar tint install and are the tool marks normal? If the sun isn't hitting the window, the marks are hard to discern but as soon as the sun hits the window there are lots of little bright marks. PS - it was $400 to install on the four door windows and rear window. The last time I had tint installed was in 2011, it wasn't ceramic and I don't remember a single blemish on the tint.

Attachments

• PXL_20210523_162238506.jpg
    PXL_20210523_162238506.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 184

udpumpkin

Reaction score
That is not normal at all. I'd take it back and have them fix it.

2020 Bighorn Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque
Thanks for the confirmation. My concern at this point is whether they are capable of installing them without marks. Is it too much to expect minimal or no tool marks? The line in the picture I posted is obviously not acceptable but what about 1/4" size marks. Is any amount of those acceptable?

TRok

Reaction score
Most reputable tint companies will correct it to your satisfaction. My concern would be any permanent etching in the glass itself. As long as you didn’t have tint beforehand that should not be a concern. Take it back and have them correct it. No reason to settle at that cost, I promise it will fester until you part ways with the truck. Good luck bud.

Reactions: c3k

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'd say nothing is acceptable. I've never seen this before on my windows

udpumpkin

Reaction score
Most reputable tint companies will correct it to your satisfaction. My concern would be any permanent etching in the glass itself. As long as you didn’t have tint beforehand that should not be a concern. Take it back and have them correct it. No reason to settle at that cost, I promise it will fester until you part ways with the truck. Good luck bud.
Thanks. No tint installed before. Brand new truck. Hopefully they were just unlucky with this install as the installer is the owner so there is no other guy to give it a try.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've seen dozens of tinted window jobs and never seen anything like that.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 051170 miles.

laramie4x4

Reaction score
irrelevant question... i thought the windows were tinted already?

ReiHido

Reaction score
I had my windows ceramic tinted this past week and what happened to yours is not normal. I would have them reinstall it. Those creases wil not come out over time like they suggested.

Last edited:

vincentw56

Reaction score
The rear and backs are. But, adding ceramic will make it cooler and protect the interior from UV rays.

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tint all of my vehicles windows including a wide strip on the windshield. I don’t think I have ever had ceramic done. Not sure what the difference is but my windows were always perfect when I picked up vehicles. Sometimes in cold weather there might be a little bubble or two but they will tell you to park in the sun or blast your heat for an hour or so but scratches like that are crazy 🥶

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had tint done once and a small fiber was under it and made it look like that. I took it back and they redid it without issues.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I just did the front windows of my Ram and I had my Lincoln done at another place a while back. Both are flawless. It just looks like the glass it tinted.

RAMTrkGN

Reaction score
I had a similar line on my driver front window. Took it back to the tinting company. They told me that this was a result of a crease in the film and apologized for not noticing it. Replaced the tint for free. 30 minutes while I waited.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: c3k

udpumpkin

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies. The installer will replace it if it doesn't fix itself - which seems unlikely. The fact that there are multiple marks on at least two windows is not inspiring confidence in a reinstall being any better, but we will see.

My last car I got the front windows tinted for looks. This one I did the same but decided to try a clear ceramic on the already tinted rear windows. The temperature difference in the sun is noticable. Even with all of the marks.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The rear and backs are. But, adding ceramic will make it cooler and protect the interior from UV rays.

Everything but the front windshield is. The tint is just a dye for the glass so has no other properties other than to darken your view (no UV, IR, heat rejection, or any other protection).

The rear windows and back glass I think are 20% but I don't know what the front windows are (50% or 70% maybe?).

U

User_3336

that is NOT acceptable, and will NOT correct itself.

It actually looks like the tint was Creased or mashed together while the installer was trying to put it on the window. It might have become dry (tinter didn't wet the tint or window good enough)....

Does it "feel" like a scratch on the tint or window???

anyways, it should be reapplied.

udpumpkin

Reaction score
Does it "feel" like a scratch on the tint or window???

anyways, it should be reapplied.

Thanks. I don't feel a scratch when running my finger over it. When I contacted the installer, he said he noticed the line but thinks it will resolve itself over time so I compromised waiting a week.

U

User_3336

Thanks. I don't feel a scratch when running my finger over it. When I contacted the installer, he said he noticed the line but thinks it will resolve itself over time so I compromised waiting a week.
He noticed it, but he didn't take the initiative to fix it. An experienced window tinter knows that will not resolve itself. I hope you are going to be persistent in getting them to fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread