5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

window sticker says 33gal tank, but I think i have 26g?

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 5th Gen '19 Hemi. I put 32.224 gallons in it once, and over 31 gallons on 5 other occasions.

I have a '21 ED now. I have put 31.369 gallons in it once, and over 31 on a total of 3 occasions.

I don't think I've ever driven either one past 0 DTE. Actually, do they go to 0? Or does it get down to 10 DTE and then change to some other message like "Fuel Low" or something like that?

I normally drive until my tank is low and then fill all the way up. Pump until it clicks off, wait a few seconds, then run the pump really slowly until it clicks off again (which usually adds 0.2 - 0.4 gallons more). Even accidentally overflowed it from the filler neck once or twice. Never had any kind of "vapor lock" or whatever some of y'all are talking about from overfilling.

I like to keep my fuel and fuel tank as clean as I can by using it all before reflling. That's what fuel filters are for. I don't want garbage accumulating in my tank because I never run it down below 1/2. Maybe that wouldn't happen anyway, if the pickup is always at the bottom of the tank. Regardless, I also don't want to have a tank of old fuel (especially diesel) that is constantly being diluted but never just burned and replaced.

ps. I like Fuelly. :D

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had a 5th Gen '19 Hemi. I put 32.224 gallons in it once, and over 31 gallons on 5 other occasions.

I have a '21 ED now. I have put 31.369 gallons in it once, and over 31 on a total of 3 occasions.

I don't think I've ever driven either one past 0 DTE. Actually, do they go to 0? Or does it get down to 10 DTE and then change to some other message like "Fuel Low" or something like that?

I normally drive until my tank is low and then fill all the way up. Pump until it clicks off, wait a few seconds, then run the pump really slowly until it clicks off again (which usually adds 0.2 - 0.4 gallons more). Even accidentally overflowed it from the filler neck once or twice. Never had any kind of "vapor lock" or whatever some of y'all are talking about from overfilling.

I like to keep my fuel and fuel tank as clean as I can by using it all before reflling. That's what fuel filters are for. I don't want garbage accumulating in my tank because I never run it down below 1/2. Maybe that wouldn't happen anyway, if the pickup is always at the bottom of the tank. Regardless, I also don't want to have a tank of old fuel (especially diesel) that is constantly being diluted but never just burned and replaced.

ps. I like Fuelly. :D
The DTE display switches to "low" at about 10 miles DTE. If I fill up right at that point Id be lucky to get 23 gallons in my 26 gallon tank.

I also let mine run down most of the way before filling. Unless I'm getting ready for a long trip and just want to top off before hitting the road, I never get gas before the gas light comes on. And usually wait until it's pretty close to 0 DTE.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess my earlier statement that I've never driven past 0 DTE is not really valid.

If it shows Fuel Low once you pass 10 DTE, then how would I know? I don't *think* I've driven more than 10 miles after that, but maybe I have. I can't say I have watched it THAT closely (though once you get past 10 DTE, it certainly seems like the BEST time to really watch it closely....). lol!

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also let mine run down most of the way before filling. Unless I'm getting ready for a long trip and just want to top off before hitting the road, I never get gas before the gas light comes on. And usually wait until it's pretty close to 0 DTE.

I do that, too. Fill up right before a long road trip, just so I can fill up as soon as I arrive and collect some valid data on highway-only mileage.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Over the course of 94 fillups on my '19 with the 33 gallon tank, I hit the fuel low warning 8 times. My largest fillup was 31.291 gallons, with the smallest of my top 30 fillups being 29.089 gallons.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just filled up today
My low fuel light came on as I was pulling into the pump.
My DTE started showed 69 miles remaining (not that it matters), fuel gauge was at 13.73% out of 125 Liters, 125 liters is 33.0215 gallons. that means I had 4.5338 gallons of gas in my tank.
I put 28.255 gallons in my tank and let the pump naturally click and turn off which means I should have a total of 32.789 gallons which is 124.1198 liters of gas which is a margin of error of %00.7. i'm willing to bet if I "topped off my tank" I could get another .23 gallons of gas in it.

Here are pictures of proof.
Is this good enough?
2023-05-03 14.29.39.jpg 2023-05-03 14.29.45.jpg 2023-05-03 14.31.50.jpg

2023-05-03 14.40.50.jpg 2023-05-03 14.40.01.jpg

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yea @theblet I should carry the watering can with me when I go by the gas station!

I just fill up when it is convenient. That's why I opted for the big tank. It's expensive and a pain to fill up in the city near work so if I have less than a quarter tank heading in or on my way home around the house, I fill up. Sometimes lower sometimes not. I try not to make a science out of it. I get bad milage. I modified the truck and don't drive economically. Whatever. I get better milage in my 300 with a 392 and a 5 speed.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yea @theblet I should carry the watering can with me when I go by the gas station!

I just fill up when it is convenient. That's why I opted for the big tank. It's expensive and a pain to fill up in the city near work so if I have less than a quarter tank heading in or on my way home around the house, I fill up. Sometimes lower sometimes not. I try not to make a science out of it. I get bad milage. I modified the truck and don't drive economically. Whatever. I get better milage in my 300 with a 392 and a 5 speed.
Yea man! I think you get the best fuel mileage driving backwards. I might try that tomorrow.

Murphy5156

Reaction score
What info is more accurate? The window sticker or the Vehicle Information tab within the RAM app for my truck? Nothing on the sticker about the larger gas tank, but according to the vehicle info in the RAM app my truck has the extra 5-gallons:

b19e064ae71d0aeccd8ddfff68eafa9d.jpg

Murphy5156

Reaction score
I just found my build sheet online…it also says “5 additional gallons of gas” so I guess I have the standard 26 gallons plus an extra 5 for a total of 31 gallons.

Is this something that needs to be set in Alfa OBD to ensure proper DTE calculations? I’m assuming that programming would have been done at the factory, no?

Murphy5156

Reaction score
Sorry for the multiple posts…but according to other threads the “5 additional gallons of gas” doesn’t refer to the tank size, but rather is the amount of gas they put in the tank when the truck leaves the factory…so if that’s true then my tank is the “standard” 26 gallon tank.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What info is more accurate? The window sticker or the Vehicle Information tab within the RAM app for my truck? Nothing on the sticker about the larger gas tank, but according to the vehicle info in the RAM app my truck has the extra 5-gallons:

The 5 additional gallons thing is just saying they put 5-gallins if fuel in the tank so the truck can be moved under its own power during transport. Does not mean your fuel tank is 5 gallons bigger. Every vehicle shipped from the factory has that.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry for the multiple posts…but according to other threads the “5 additional gallons of gas” doesn’t refer to the tank size, but rather is the amount of gas they put in the tank when the truck leaves the factory…so if that’s true then my tank is the “standard” 26 gallon tank.

If the Window Sticker doesn't have 33-gallon gas tank listed under the Options, then you don't have the 33 gallon tank.

Depending on what model/trim you have, you *could* have the 23 gallon tank. 26 is not standard on every model/trim, I don't believe.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Post your Vin and we can tell you what it has.

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score

I don't understand what they put "additional". If the tanks empty, and they put 5 gallons of gas, it's just 5 gallons of gas. Maybe it's in addition to the air in the tank? 🤷‍♂️

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't understand what they put "additional". If the tanks empty, and they put 5 gallons of gas, it's just 5 gallons of gas. Maybe it's in addition to the air in the tank? 🤷‍♂️
The dealer I buy from always fills the tank before delivery so it’s doesn’t even matter. I hear many don’t even do that these days anymore.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've read it to believe if they install the 33 gal tank at the factory they put an additional 5 gals in. Do the build sheet list 5 additonal gals for the 26 and 23 gal tanks?

Users who are viewing this thread