5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will you stay with Ram?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm open to all things, all segments and brands, depends on my mood at that time.

For me, my RAM was the best full size truck available in fall of 1999. I still think it pretty much is, though that may change in a couple of years.

Ramjack

Reaction score
My perfect truck would be a Ram 1500 with a GM 6.2L sans Active Fuel Mgmt / Displacement-on-Demand, but a 6.4L Hemi would be quite tempting as well. On second thought, the new 7.3L Ford V8 gas motor would be my first choice.

silver billet

Reaction score
Ok, you don't like them. Fair enough.

Yep, but my dislike is based on objective facts; their diesel is worst in class, they ride/handle worse, get the worst towing MPG, and they cost more feature for feature. Subjectively, I find them ugly from all angles other than 100% front on (which is quite nice, they have a great face).

They do run fast in a straight line though if that's your thing, though, then again, so does the chevy 6.2 so .... I just don't see a point to Fords half ton offering.

The new maverick looks interesting though, good on them for that; I've considered getting one as a daily driver and getting an older 2500/cummins for when I need to tow.

silver billet

Reaction score
“Oh, how’s it goin there bud…yeah uh huh sure, you betcha.”

Is my Canadian good?

Anyways lol, I actually prefer the Silverado over the Sierra for once. My fav trim is the LTZ tho. I’d probably get the 6.2 tho; maybe the 3.0.

If you want to know what I sound like, you can just visit Buffalo or New York, we all talk the same in this general region. Ironically, I believe "you betcha" was first popularized by a certain former feminine Alaskan governor.

I like both the Silverado and the Sierra exteriors. Both have a rugged and tough stance, but with a bit of muscular flowing lines. The F150 doesn't have those subtle lines, it's just a giant shoe box. Once GM gets new interiors, I think they'll be a very competitive offering. Then again, they don't even offer sun glasses holders anymore ... 🤦‍♂️

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you want to know what I sound like, you can just visit Buffalo or New York, we all talk the same in this general region. Ironically, I believe "you betcha" was first popularized by a certain former feminine Alaskan governor.

I like both the Silverado and the Sierra exteriors. Both have a rugged and tough stance, but with a bit of muscular flowing lines. The F150 doesn't have those subtle lines, it's just a giant shoe box. Once GM gets new interiors, I think they'll be a very competitive offering. Then again, they don't even offer sun glasses holders anymore ... 🤦‍♂️
Yeah I have a buddy who lives near Fargo, the accents cross the borders. Yeah we sold our 2018 F-150 in late March. I have a feeling GM will pass up Ford here soon in regards to quality.

myles

Reaction score
If the truck is reliable I'll get another ecodiesel, but so far its iffy, motor has already leaked and the rear axle seal has leaked, both covered under warranty. Now I just did my 50k oil change and it looks like the transfer case is leaking a bit, no drip yet but dust/oil is collecting on the top of the transfer case. Hoping this truck lasts until a viable full electric option is available. would be nice to just be able to plug my truck into my house every night and not have to stop for fuel. But it would have to be able to tow as well.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Everyone always says the GMC Sierra AT4 Duramax, I don’t personally like the looks, but it’s very popular; at least on the internet.
The guy who parks in the spot next to me at work has had a blue '20 Denali for the past 10 months. Of all the half tons on the market, I think it's by far the best looking. I'm just meh on the looks of the rest of the half ton Sierra lineup, though.

Glenn54

Reaction score
If RAM is planning on major changes, I may buy another RAM just before these changes come out. I like my RAM the way it is. The only things I would change is add 4WD and a locking differential.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If RAM is planning on major changes, I may buy another RAM just before these changes come out. I like my RAM the way it is. The only things I would change is add 4WD and a locking differential.
Yeah I would never buy a 2wd truck, makes no sense to me at all, even if I live in a warmer climate. I live in the snow belt though.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I hear a refresh is coming soon, most likely for 2023-2024 Model Year. The question is, do you plan on keeping your truck for 5-10 years, or trade it in for something new a few years down the road? With the "Shortage" going on with semiconductors for vehicles, I see so many of you guys trading or selling their trucks to make a profit and wait it out. Let me know guys and what you plan on getting in a few months to few years; or how long you plan on keeping your current 5th Gen. 😁

I absolutely love my truck, but I like something new every few years. In 2-3 years, I'll probably trade in for either a:

2023-2024 BMW 4 Series Coupe or Cabriolet [Refresh]

View attachment 96136

2023 Jeep Wrangler [Refresh]

View attachment 96138

2023 Ford Ranger [Redesign]

View attachment 96137

2023 Cadillac Lyriq [New Model]

View attachment 96139

2023 Chevrolet Colorado / GMC Canyon [Redesign]

View attachment 96140
I don’t know if it’s because I have other projects (e.g. motorcycle) to work on, or because I rarely drive my truck, or because I’m waiting for something that is truly game-changing…but I’m very happy with my ‘19 Longhorn.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The new maverick looks interesting though, good on them for that; I've considered getting one as a daily driver and getting an older 2500/cummins for when I need to tow.
I was just looking at those yesterday. A buddy of mine is thinking about getting one. At first glance I was thinking they just brought back the Explorer Sport Trac. The appeal for him is "a $20k truck that gets 40 mpg and can tow 4k pounds". There are a couple of problems for him though. He's wanting AWD, but the hybrid is only available in FWD. You can only get AWD with the ecoboost, so there goes his 40 mpg. Problem number 2 is the fact that towing capacity for the hybrid is only 2k pounds. His trailer is 1k more than that. His search continues. As for me, I guess it would be better for my morale than driving a Volt or Prius as a daily, if I was looking for that sort of thing :D

Ramjeep

Reaction score
Getting rid of my RAM tomorrow :( gonna go without for year and half and get a bronco. I have owned Mopar for almost 20 years. Unless they update the wrangler to compete with the Bronco. I will be getting my first ford. Loved my RAM in my dream world I would have both.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bring back the VW Rabbit pick-up, 50 mpg and not a hybrid.... that was 40 years ago lol. Shouldn't we be getting 100 mpg at this point?
I know. My ex and I had a 1989 Plymouth Acclaim with a 2.5 and from here to Cincinnati we'd always get mid-to high 30s. Plus it rode like a Cadillac and was more comfortable than the Avalon that replaced it.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 051844 miles.

Ramjack

Reaction score
I know. My ex and I had a 1989 Plymouth Acclaim with a 2.5 and from here to Cincinnati we'd always get mid-to high 30s. Plus it rode like a Cadillac and was more comfortable than the Avalon that replaced it.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 051844 miles.

Vehicles have gotten much larger/heavier and more powerful. That 1989 Plymouth Acclaim generated a whopping 100hp and weighed less than 2800 lbs. A Honda Civic these days weighs a MINIMUM of 2800 lbs. And nobody will buy a car generating 100hp anymore. You'd probably have to use a 1.3L (non-turbo) engine today to generate only 100hp. Put that in a 2800lb car and it will get stellar fuel mileage. But nobody will want to drive it.

Users who are viewing this thread