5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will you stay with Ram?

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I hear a refresh is coming soon, most likely for 2023-2024 Model Year. The question is, do you plan on keeping your truck for 5-10 years, or trade it in for something new a few years down the road? With the "Shortage" going on with semiconductors for vehicles, I see so many of you guys trading or selling their trucks to make a profit and wait it out. Let me know guys and what you plan on getting in a few months to few years; or how long you plan on keeping your current 5th Gen. 😁

I absolutely love my truck, but I like something new every few years. In 2-3 years, I'll probably trade in for either a:

2023-2024 BMW 4 Series Coupe or Cabriolet [Refresh]

BMW 4 Series 2022.jpg

2023 Jeep Wrangler [Refresh]

Jeep Wrangler Islander.jpg

2023 Ford Ranger [Redesign]

ford ranger 2023.jpg

2023 Cadillac Lyriq [New Model]

Cadillac Lryriq 2023.jpg

2023 Chevrolet Colorado / GMC Canyon [Redesign]

Chevy Colorado 2023.jpg

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I'm on the market this fall, my '19 lease is up in November. I have zero brand loyalty, but a '22 3.0 Longhorn is at the top of my consideration list.

I'm also planning to look at the mythical '22 Tundra if it exists by then, as well as the Powerboost and the '22 Denali if the interior refresh is worth it. Unless we have a 3rd kid, I'm planning to stay in a truck for the foreseeable future, though I'll likely trade it in every 2-3 years and have no problems hopping from manufacturer to manufacturer depending on who's firing on all cylinders each time.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm on the market this fall, my '19 lease is up in November. I have zero brand loyalty, but a '22 3.0 Longhorn is at the top of my consideration list.

I'm also planning to look at the mythical '22 Tundra if it exists by then, as well as the Powerboost and the '22 Denali if the interior refresh is worth it. Unless we have a 3rd kid, I'm planning to stay in a truck for the foreseeable future, though I'll likely trade it in every 2-3 years and have no problems hopping from manufacturer to manufacturer depending on who's firing on all cylinders each time.
Yeah I love my 3.0, and yeah my buddy works for Toyota. He just leased a Tacoma for a year cuz he gets a massive discount, to wait for the Tundra, probs not out till December but it should be interesting for sure. As far GM, the Sierra and Silverado were pushed back I believe (rumored), so a refresh might not come till 2023 model year unfortunately, fingers crossed for 2022 cuz they need an interior rework yesterday.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
So I hear a refresh is coming soon, most likely for 2023-2024 Model Year. The question is, do you plan on keeping your truck for 5-10 years, or trade it in for something new a few years down the road? With the "Shortage" going on with semiconductors for vehicles, I see so many of you guys trading or selling their trucks to make a profit and wait it out. Let me know guys and what you plan on getting in a few months to few years; or how long you plan on keeping your current 5th Gen. 😁

I absolutely love my truck, but I like something new every few years. In 2-3 years, I'll probably trade in for either a:

2023-2024 BMW 4 Series Coupe or Cabriolet [Refresh]

2023 Jeep Wrangler [Refresh]

2023 Ford Ranger [Redesign]

2023 Cadillac Lyriq [New Model]

2023 Chevrolet Colorado / GMC Canyon [Redesign]
I vote for the Wrangler. 😁

My plan is to keep the Limited I just bought for as long as it remains viable for me. It wasn't affected by the shortages so it has everything it's supposed to have. Not sure that will be the case going forward.

Yeah I love my 3.0, and yeah my buddy works for Toyota. He just leased a Tacoma for a year cuz he gets a massive discount, to wait for the Tundra, probs not out till December but it should be interesting for sure. As far GM, the Sierra and Silverado were pushed back I believe (rumored), so a refresh might not come till 2023 model year unfortunately, fingers crossed for 2022 cuz they need an interior rework yesterday.
Seems like GM has been coming out with a refresh every other year for about the last 6 or 7 years. :ROFLMAO:

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The only trucks I won't consider are Ford (obvious reasons) and Nissan (they pulled out of Canada). Ram, GMC, Chevy, and Toyota are all on the table.

Whoever gives me the best deal with the drivetrain I want will get the sale. If I cracked up my Ram and had to buy a replacement tomorrow, it would be a GMC diesel, it's currently the cheapest way to get a diesel half ton since you can't buy a diesel bighorn in Canada (brain dead decision by Ram but doesn't matter, there are more trucks around). Cheapest Ram diesel is a rebel (which I don't like due to the black molded plastic everywhere and the heavy weight), so that leaves Laramie which I would never buy (too many features that I would never need/use).

aimlowrobin

Reaction score
Just got RAM #7. I drive a lot of miles (40k plus a year) so typically trade at 4 years or less. I just like "new" when it comes to vehicles and ny lifestyle demands it be a truck. My RAMs have been so trouble free, it's hard to switch. Until one of the other mfgs up the interior game, I'm just not interested anyways.

silver billet

Reaction score
Not sure why it's obvious not to consider Ford.

Do they even offer a diesel anymore? It never held up against the Eco Diesel or the Duramax, the duramax is the current king of half ton diesels with the ED a little behind that and the Ford diesel taking a dirt nap somewhere. They rely on crummy turbos to drive most sales, and the 5.0 has had issues recently. They look pretty bad from the cab on back, and the suspension is jittery and rough (no air???). They get the worst gas mileage while towing (those eco boosts slurp it down far worse than the hemi does when you work them hard), and they are also the most expensive priced feature for feature.

Basically: short of the powerboost (which I don't really need), they offer absolutely nothing that draws me in that can't be gotten better/cheaper somewhere else.

Did I mention they look fugly from the rear? :)

NOT a fan.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got RAM #7. I drive a lot of miles (40k plus a year) so typically trade at 4 years or less. I just like "new" when it comes to vehicles and ny lifestyle demands it be a truck. My RAMs have been so trouble free, it's hard to switch. Until one of the other mfgs up the interior game, I'm just not interested anyways.
I agree!

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score

My plan is to keep the Limited I just bought for as long as it remains viable for me. It wasn't affected by the shortages so it has everything it's supposed to have. Not sure that will be the case going forward.

Seems like GM has been coming out with a refresh every other year for about the last 6 or 7 years. :ROFLMAO:
Same, got my Limited that I ordered in late February, just before the shortage caused parts issues.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do they even offer a diesel anymore? It never held up against the Eco Diesel or the Duramax, the duramax is the current king of half ton diesels with the ED a little behind that and the Ford diesel taking a dirt nap somewhere. They rely on crummy turbos to drive most sales, and the 5.0 has had issues recently. They look pretty bad from the cab on back, and the suspension is jittery and rough (no air???). They get the worst gas mileage while towing (those eco boosts slurp it down far worse than the hemi does when you work them hard), and they are also the most expensive priced feature for feature.

Basically: short of the powerboost (which I don't really need), they offer absolutely nothing that draws me in that can't be gotten better/cheaper somewhere else.

NOT a fan.
Fair enough, and yeah the Half Ton Diesel from Ford barely sells. I know one person who has one, they seem to like it though.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only trucks I won't consider are Ford (obvious reasons) and Nissan (they pulled out of Canada). Ram, GMC, Chevy, and Toyota are all on the table.

Whoever gives me the best deal with the drivetrain I want will get the sale. If I cracked up my Ram and had to buy a replacement tomorrow, it would be a GMC diesel, it's currently the cheapest way to get a diesel half ton since you can't buy a diesel bighorn in Canada (brain dead decision by Ram but doesn't matter, there are more trucks around). Cheapest Ram diesel is a rebel (which I don't like due to the black molded plastic everywhere and the heavy weight), so that leaves Laramie which I would never buy (too many features that I would never need/use).
Everyone always says the GMC Sierra AT4 Duramax, I don’t personally like the looks, but it’s very popular; at least on the internet.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yeah I love the 2 door’s. I also really like the tan tops, the Islander Trim, a leather stitched dash, and the Diesel; but I can order any of those together. So I’m gonna wait till the refresh comes out here soon. I figure 2023-2024. The current JL came out as a 2018 Model Year, so that’s what I’m thinking. I am in love with the 2 door Defender, test drove a 4 door back in the fall and loved it so much. Only issue is reliability…Land Rover’s is so bad, and I’m not even joking. Sucks cuz I love Great Britain.

silver billet

Reaction score
Everyone always says the GMC Sierra AT4 Duramax, I don’t personally like the looks, but it’s very popular; at least on the internet.

I don't want the AT4, it looks great but I want a cheaper trim like the Chevy LT or the GMC SLE; both of those trims can be optioned with the 10 speed diesel, and both are cheaper by far (here in Canada) than a Laramie with the ED (which is the cheapest Ram diesel here in Canada, I don't like the looks of the Rebel).

Like I said, it's all about the deal for me. I prioritize a drive train first and foremost, looks, ride, and comfort are second. Features, I don't need anything more than an 8 inch backup camera and a brake controller, I'm more of a tradesman guy though I won't buy a truck with black bumpers and/or black door handles.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't want the AT4, it looks great but I want a cheaper trim like the Chevy LT or the GMC SLE; both of those trims can be optioned with the 10 speed diesel, and both are cheaper by far (here in Canada) than a Laramie with the ED (which is the cheapest Ram diesel here in Canada, I don't like the looks of the Rebel).

Like I said, it's all about the deal for me. I prioritize a drive train first and foremost, looks, ride, and comfort are second. Features, I don't need anything more than an 8 inch backup camera and a brake controller, I'm more of a tradesman guy though I won't buy a truck with black bumpers and/or black door handles.
“Oh, how’s it goin there bud…yeah uh huh sure, you betcha.”

Is my Canadian good?

Anyways lol, I actually prefer the Silverado over the Sierra for once. My fav trim is the LTZ tho. I’d probably get the 6.2 tho; maybe the 3.0.

Ramjack

Reaction score

NOT a fan.

Ok, you don't like them. Fair enough.

Users who are viewing this thread