5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Window tint affect Warranty?

Jmac509

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I know this has been discussed previously but I wanted to get current information incase anyone missed the old threads. I'm debating on getting my side windows and windshield tinted from a certified and reputable installer. Has anyone experienced any warranty denials due to the tinting?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Tinting will NOT effect warranty. Just make sure they don't get the BCM wet during windshield tint, because warranty will not cover water damage. If any future warranty repairs involve replacing a part that the tint is on, the part will be fixed/replaced, but they will not retint.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
If you had a bad tinter who flooded the panel and damage something electric, sure. But only on the part affected. As with anything you do, if they can prove abuse, neglect or tampering, they can void a warranty repair.

6of36

Reaction score
If you had a bad tinter who flooded the panel and damage something electric, sure. But only on the part affected. As with anything you do, if they can prove abuse, neglect or tampering, they can void a warranty repair.
Seems there are a whole lot of them.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Seems there are a whole lot of them.

Yup, that's why even just tinting my front windows, I scoured the internet, especially my local Yelp for the best reviewed shop in my city. Only then, did I let them touch my truck, and even then it wasn't perfect. But rarely is everything perfect when you are very methodical.

I'm just happy the truck wasn't damaged, and the work was more than acceptable. Low bar these days :)

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can see another warranty issue that won't be covered is signal issues with your phone. If you use the wrong tint, it can block cellular signals from entering the vehicle. I can see where someone doing this would take the vehicle in for warranty because Android Auto/Carplay might not be working properly.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can see another warranty issue that won't be covered is signal issues with your phone. If you use the wrong tint, it can block cellular signals from entering the vehicle. I can see where someone doing this would take the vehicle in for warranty because Android Auto/Carplay/Bluetooth might not be working properly.
That's a new one for me. Never heard of tint effecting cell phone before.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I can see another warranty issue that won't be covered is signal issues with your phone. If you use the wrong tint, it can block cellular signals from entering the vehicle. I can see where someone doing this would take the vehicle in for warranty because Android Auto/Carplay/Bluetooth might not be working properly.
Your car\phone is in your truck.
How would tinted windows prevent your car from in the truck talking to your radio also in your truck?
Also FYI tint has 0% to do with ANYTHING signal related. Phones don't use IR.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your car\phone is in your truck.
How would tinted windows prevent your car from in the truck talking to your radio also in your truck?
Also FYI tint has 0% to do with ANYTHING signal related. Phones don't use IR.
Scottmoyer is entirely correct. There are reflective metallic tints that are signal blocking. Normal nano-ceramic tint does not.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score

There are a whole host of window tinting companies that specifically state on their websites that there are metallic window films that "have fine metal particles in them to create a mirror appearance. These metals do not just reflect visible light, they can also affect the radio reception in certain types of vehicles." Here's a few found from a quick google search.

But yeah, they're probably all in on the conspiracy smdh

jessed1

Reaction score
There are a whole host of window tinting companies that specifically state on their websites that there are metallic window films that "have fine metal particles in them to create a mirror appearance. These metals do not just reflect visible light, they can also affect the radio reception in certain types of vehicles." Here's a few found from a quick google search.

Shouldn't be too controversial of a topic, sounds like a typical Faraday's Cage to me.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Scottmoyer is entirely correct. There are reflective metallic tints that are signal blocking. Normal nano-ceramic tint does not.

Shouldn't be too controversial of a topic, sounds like a typical Faraday's Cage to me.
I think the "issue" is with how he worded his post. He said there would be issues with a droid auto/carplay working properly. The tint will have no effect on either of those. It may effect being able to stream, or use navigation while your phone is connected, but the android auto/carplay apps will function just fine

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think the "issue" is with how he worded his post. He said there would be issues with a droid auto/carplay working properly. The tint will have no effect on either of those. It may effect being able to stream, or use navigation while your phone is connected, but the android auto/carplay apps will function just fine
Exactly
It's not like you have a damn EMP scrambler inside your truck, just maybe worse signal the the outside world which has 0 to do with Android auto or Apple Carplay since both devices are "inside the cage"

That said if you are having problems with signal from tint your device and or service is dog sh*t and you should probably change.
Signal should go through the roof with has no tint on it.

Also not sure how it could affect radio, there antenna is not inside the truck and the tint can't affect the coax cable going to the head unit...

I stand by what I said originally.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seriously? You all couldn't figure out what was being said regarding Android Auto/CarPlay? Of course they'll connect to the radio and work fine inside the truck, but what apps are people using with AA/Carplay? Most are streaming music, using Waze or Google maps, etc. Your phone is connecting to your carrier to provide the apps your using with AA and CarPlay. If you have a metallic tint, it can block the signals from your phone to the cell tower.

And it's not just the mirrored tints. Most quality tints, before ceramic came out, were metallic tints. The metallic properties were used to reflect the heat away rather than absorb the heat. Llumar ATR film is a metallized film. Plus the metallized film didn't discolor like the dyed films you see.

But, it seems a few of you are more knowledgeable than the installers, or even the manufacturers of tint.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Seriously? You all couldn't figure out what was being said regarding Android Auto/CarPlay? Of course they'll connect to the radio and work fine inside the truck, but what apps are people using with AA/Carplay? Most are streaming music, using Waze or Google maps, etc. Your phone is connecting to your carrier to provide the apps your using with AA and CarPlay. If you have a metallic tint, it can block the signals from your phone to the cell tower.

And it's not just the mirrored tints. Most quality tints, before ceramic came out, were metallic tints. The metallic properties were used to reflect the heat away rather than absorb the heat. Llumar ATR film is a metallized film. Plus the metallized film didn't discolor like the dyed films you see.

But, it seems a few of you are more knowledgeable than the installers, or even the manufacturers of tint.
I have offline maps in Google maps, and when connected to Carplay the phone does NOT use it's own GPS, it uses the truck's.

Tint is not a problem with cell service unless your device\carrier is bad already

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, good for you Darksteel!

My comments about window tint affecting cellular signals can be proven by doing a Google search. If you use apps stored on your phone that don't use cellular signal, then of course, there's no issue. Why are you trying to be so argumentative? If you have nothing of value to add, then stop replying with your stupid comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online