5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will installing a catch can affect my powertrain warranty?

Kevinch

Reaction score
If I install a catch can, will it affect my warranty coverage if I have to use it?

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
Theoretically, installing a catch can should not void the warranty unless it causes the problem. However, from the reports we read here on this forum and others, if a dealer or warranty representative is looking for a reason not to cover a problem, they can possibly use any aftermarket item added to the drivetrain as their reason. You may be able to eventually override this or go to another dealership, but it still creates a huge hassle.

To me, the part of your question that is the crux of the matter is the phrase "if I have to use it". I've owned several vehicles with Hemi engines over the years. My current daily driver is a 2006 Charger Daytona. It NEEDS a catch can. And I have to empty out the milkshake often. But since the days of these early engines, there has been a lot of improvement to eliminate blow-by and loss of oil through the PCV system. My later Hemi engines have never needed this and there is basically no oil loss this way. So on your 2020 Ram, why do you "need" a catch can?

If I actually didn't need a catch can but simply wanted one, I'd likely just resist the urge as long as my engine is under warranty. While the catch can would technically void any unrelated warranty work, why take the chance? The PCV systems on the later model Hemi engines is just fine as is.

DayRad21.jpg

Attachments

• 20160404_112429.jpg
    20160404_112429.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 14

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It should not void your warranty, but *some* dealers will give you a hard time about it should you need any sort of warranty powertrain work done. I've personally experienced this with a previously owned charger. The work was done but I had to *****, moan, and complain to FCA directly for a week. The only thing that got me through was I had a professional contact in their engineering staff, and he intervened on my behalf.

Fortunately the HEMI is port injected, so running a catch can isn't really all that necessary (vs a direct injected motor where you'll have a ton of buildup since there's no gas to wash those deposits away).

Last edited:

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It should not void your warranty, but *some* dealers will give you a hard time about it should you need any sort of warranty powertrain work done. I've personally experienced this with a previously owned charger. The work was done but I had to *****, moan, and complain to FCA directly for a week. The only thing that got me through was I had a professional contact in their engineering staff, and he intervened on my behalf.

Fortunately the HEMI is port injected, so running a catch can isn't really all that necessary (vs a direct injected motor where you'll have a ton of buildup since there's no gas to wash those deposits away).
May not be necessary due to port injection but mandatory for that extra 80 HP it adds when installed! 😉

RSZ

Reaction score
Might not be required, but I would rather catch the 1/3-1/2 cup of oil before it goes into the intake every 6-8K KM's.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Might not be required, but I would rather catch the 1/3-1/2 cup of oil before it goes into the intake every 6-8K KM's.
You’ll get no argument from me - just a little ribbing - as I always ran one on my Hemi and still have one on my Daughter-in-Law’s Hemi. To borrow and modify a Benjamin Franklin phrase: A few bucks for prevention is worth a few thousand for a cure.

Users who are viewing this thread