5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will car wash damage my 2020 ram 1500?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yep, I have something similar. I've even used it when it was down around 25 degrees.
In Florida? And by noon it was probably 60. If not, I'm sure it was well above freezing. It doesn't get extremely cold where I live, but we get sustained temps below freezing for days or sometimes weeks at a time. All my summer stuff (hoses, pressure washer, washing supplies) are usually put away for the winter before the low temps hit. I made the mistake of not draining and putting one of the garden hoses away early enough one fall, and we had an early cold snap. That hose sat frozen for over a month before it warmed up enough to thaw the ice that had formed inside it. Even if I had a feasible way to use something like that in winter, I'd end up creating an ice rink on my driveway LOL.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In Florida? And by noon it was probably 60. If not, I'm sure it was well above freezing. It doesn't get extremely cold where I live, but we get sustained temps below freezing for days or sometimes weeks at a time. All my summer stuff (hoses, pressure washer, washing supplies) are usually put away for the winter before the low temps hit. I made the mistake of not draining and putting one of the garden hoses away early enough one fall, and we had an early cold snap. That hose sat frozen for over a month before it warmed up enough to thaw the ice that had formed inside it. Even if I had a feasible way to use something like that in winter, I'd end up creating an ice rink on my driveway LOL.
In Ohio.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a water spicket inside my heated garage. Kind of wish I had a floor drain like my old house but oh well. I keep a hose reel and stuff in my garage. When it gets above freezing, I will sometimes pull truck out and get some fresh water on it and under it to get rid of salt. Roll everything back up inside rhenagarhe when done and throw some ice melt down in driveway to prevent ice rink.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a water spicket inside my heated garage. Kind of wish I had a floor drain like my old house but oh well. I keep a hose reel and stuff in my garage. When it gets above freezing, I will sometimes pull truck out and get some fresh water on it and under it to get rid of salt. Roll everything back up inside rhenagarhe when done and throw some ice melt down in driveway to prevent ice rink.
My life would be so different if I had a heated garage. And having a drain in the floor? The stuff of dreams LOL.

I used ice melt one time and it tried to destroy my concrete driveway. It was supposedly safe for concrete. Riiiight...not trying that again.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My life would be so different if I had a heated garage. And having a drain in the floor? The stuff of dreams LOL.

I used ice melt one time and it tried to destroy my concrete driveway. It was supposedly safe for concrete. Riiiight...not trying that again.
I added the heater to garage after we moved in, but the garage was fully insulated, and "finished" with drywall when the house was built. It was never painted though.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Yep, a heated garage with hot water is da bomb, but I did forget to put a drain in my floor. 😡

Fortunately I talked to the contractor that poured my driveway about ice melt. He said, look at your neighbors driveway if you want to know about the effects of salt or ice melt on concrete. I finally got to learn something the easy way for once. 🤣

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've never had a lifted truck, I'm 6'1", and have a jacked up back. Somehow, against the odds, I've found the secret to putting water under my truck.

Yep, for you. Drive your truck into a river to clean it if you want. But don't sit there and act like a garbage automatic wash is the only way you could possibly clean your truck.

download (4).jpg

Ok, so what's the secret, or are you guarding it for some reason? Enlighten us all with your worldly ways! Show me how I can completely clean the underside of my truck while being able to visibly see what I am cleaning, without getting down on the ground to do so.

And point out to me where I said the automatic wash (which does a really nice job of keeping my truck looking nice and rust free and maintain it's value) was the only possible way I could clean my truck. I said it was the only PRACTICAL and REASONABLE way for ME to clean MY truck. Capitalized the key words there so hopefully they are more clear this time for you.

I guess I'm just lucky the scary auto wash hasn't destroyed the paint on any of my trucks yet, and I've even had 3 rams with painted bumpers without chipping issues, even with tail gaiting!

There’s certain people that you’ll find out it’s impossible to have rational debate with. I found that out real quick in one of the other threads identical to this one.

I hear ya, and when I posted I knew what kind of reply I would get from him and that it would be the equivalent of bashing your head into the wall repeatedly, so I certainly know better.

It's clear he's got a bunch of time on his hands and that's great for him, I'm truly envious. My free time generally comes around now which I use to eat lunch foolishly (great opportunity to hit the self wash!) and look on the forums, and after 8/9/10 PM depending on the time of year and activities going on that night (when I say our daughter plays softball, I mean she plays for multiple teams including a recent invitation to a national under armour team and her school team and travel team, has hitting and pitching lessons multiple times a week, multiple practices or games or both, and workouts, for the regular rotation of activities throughout the year, no off season). She absolutely kills it in the sport and in school so we fully support her ambitions and give up a lot (very happily) in the process of doing so, one thing we give up is just about any free time during daylight hours.

Maybe I'll just tell my daughter to knock it off with some of her ambition, my truck needs to be pampered better :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Dewey

Reaction score
Yep, a heated garage with hot water is da bomb, but I did forget to put a drain in my floor. 😡

Fortunately I talked to the contractor that poured my driveway about ice melt. He said, look at your neighbors driveway if you want to know about the effects of salt or ice melt on concrete. I finally got to learn something the easy way for once. 🤣
CC56233C-1BDA-41A1-BCFD-D8068D040927.jpeg

I have a nice brand new gas heater in my insulated garage and it gets nice and toasty in the dead of winter. Unfortunately even with hot water available washing my truck in the winter without a drain in the garage floor is out of the question. I rinse out the floor and squeegee down to the driveway and quickly turns into an ice rink in sub zero temps. I also hate using too much salt on my new concrete. Doesn’t take long to pit it up.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 128000

Ok, so what's the secret, or are you guarding it for some reason? Enlighten us all with your worldly ways! Show me how I can completely clean the underside of my truck while being able to visibly see what I am cleaning, without getting down on the ground to do so.
Well, you point the end the water comes out at the bottom of the truck and then you spray water at it. Move it around a bit if you're feeling spicy. Some bays even have a flexible wand. Crazy.

I've never had to get on the ground to rinse my undercarriage. Of course, I take proper care of my vehicle beforehand, so I'm not scared of a little salt or grime.
And point out to me where I said the automatic wash (which does a really nice job of keeping my truck looking nice and rust free and maintain it's value) was the only possible way I could clean my truck. I said it was the only PRACTICAL and REASONABLE way for ME to clean MY truck. Capitalized the key words there so hopefully they are more clear this time for you.
I think the words used were "won't work for me," or something to that effect. There are several PRACTICAL and REASONABLE options for YOU to clean YOUR truck. You being too inconvenienced to use them doesn't mean they're not available.

Repeated the capitalization because I felt like acting like a child, too.
I guess I'm just lucky the scary auto wash hasn't destroyed the paint on any of my trucks yet, and I've even had 3 rams with painted bumpers without chipping issues, even with tail gaiting!
Oh, it has. Lucky for you, it'll be someone else's problem.

Either way, I'll continue to be amused by claims that "darn it, I just don't have 30 minutes a week to clean my truck properly." Just admit you're too lazy to do it, and move on.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 128003

I have a nice brand new gas heater in my insulated garage and it gets nice and toasty in the dead of winter. Unfortunately even with hot water available washing my truck in the winter without a drain in the garage floor is out of the question. I rinse out the floor and squeegee down to the driveway and quickly turns into an ice rink in sub zero temps. I also hate using too much salt on my new concrete. Doesn’t take long to pit it up.
I would (and do) use a rinseless wash before I went to an automatic wash.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yea, the carwah I drive through in the winter is heated too. Sweet.
Automatic washes really should be modernized. Give me an undercarriage only option, and different choices with the pressure and cleaners.

There could be the "Mountain Whiskey Package" that's basically just a sandblasting while death metal plays at 150 dB. When the wash is done, ugly people come out and dry it with a flamethrower.

The "SnowBlaZR2 Package" would be pH neutral soap, 994 PSI rinse, and would use DI water at exactly 98.6 degrees. Smooth jazz plays in the background and the truck is dried by puppies with a cloud.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Automatic washes really should be modernized. Give me an undercarriage only option, and different choices with the pressure and cleaners.

There could be the "Mountain Whiskey Package" that's basically just a sandblasting while death metal plays at 150 dB. When the wash is done, ugly people come out and dry it with a flamethrower.

The "SnowBlaZR2 Package" would be pH neutral soap, 994 PSI rinse, and would use DI water at exactly 98.6 degrees. Smooth jazz plays in the background and the truck is dried by puppies with a cloud.
I’ll take two of the snowBlaZR2 package- it sounds delightful. ( at least the puppy part)

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Standard issue here in Alaska!

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score

Ok, the Whiskey special has to have bikini babes with the flamethrowers playing this instead...

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I wouldnt want puppies touching my truck. Talk about f'd up paint. With their claws and poor coordination, no thanks. :p

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, you point the end the water comes out at the bottom of the truck and then you spray water at it. Move it around a bit if you're feeling spicy. Some bays even have a flexible wand. Crazy.

I've never had to get on the ground to rinse my undercarriage. Of course, I take proper care of my vehicle beforehand, so I'm not scared of a little salt or grime.

I think the words used were "won't work for me," or something to that effect. There are several PRACTICAL and REASONABLE options for YOU to clean YOUR truck. You being too inconvenienced to use them doesn't mean they're not available.

Repeated the capitalization because I felt like acting like a child, too.

Oh, it has. Lucky for you, it'll be someone else's problem.

Either way, I'll continue to be amused by claims that "darn it, I just don't have 30 minutes a week to clean my truck properly." Just admit you're too lazy to do it, and move on.

That doesn't really answer my question of visibly seeing what I am spraying off, I'm not just going to spray under there and assume I got everything I needed to. That's great if that's what you want to do, doesn't work for me.

Felt like acting like a child too? Yeah I was the first one to do that with my very offensive capitalizing of words. It's also not my fault your reading comprehension isn't great, I don't often feel the need to explicitly explain my words for other adults but I also really hate when other people put words in my mouth.

Your life isn't the same as mine and your ways of doing things don't work for everyone, it's sad you can't see or admit that. I'm sure you'll have a response fired back within the hour because apparently you have nothing to do just about ever, I have to get to sleep for another full day tomorrow!

Enjoy the careless Florida lifestyle!

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That doesn't really answer my question of visibly seeing what I am spraying off, I'm not just going to spray under there and assume I got everything I needed to. That's great if that's what you want to do, doesn't work for me.
Do you think people crawl around on the ground to wash their vehicles when it's warm out?

And why are you crawling around on the ground to inspect your work anyway? Do you do that to check out how worthless that undercarriage wash was?
Felt like acting like a child too? Yeah I was the first one to do that with my very offensive capitalizing of words. It's also not my fault your reading comprehension isn't great, I don't often feel the need to explicitly explain my words for other adults but I also really hate when other people put words in my mouth.
Yes. You're acting like a child. And all because I made some inferences.
Your life isn't the same as mine and your ways of doing things don't work for everyone, it's sad you can't see or admit that.
My ways do work for everyone. They just take a little more effort. Nothing wrong with not wanting to do that.
I'm sure you'll have a response fired back within the hour because apparently you have nothing to do just about ever, I have to get to sleep for another full day tomorrow!

Enjoy the careless Florida lifestyle!
You sure do get worked up about how others spend their time. Maybe you should spend more time worrying about softball, and less about how much time I have.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Sometimes I pay a couple people to wash the truck, they do a terrible job but who cares

Mod edit: While a great pic, it’s nsfw so it’s removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread