5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will car wash damage my 2020 ram 1500?

mophead

Reaction score
I could bring up all the scratches from brush washes in my almost black 93 that'll never happen again if you wanna? Can I hold a grudge or what?

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Damage to any extent isn't acceptable to me when it can be easily avoided.

I gave two options that are both better than using an automatic wash.

Haha oh yeah sorry I totally missed your solution that is practical to everyone since all of our situations are about the same.

Alright everyone, cancel your car wash memberships and get your home wash setups ready!

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Haha oh yeah sorry I totally missed your solution that is practical to everyone since all of our situations are about the same.

Alright everyone, cancel your car wash memberships and get your home wash setups ready!
When you go to get your paint scratched up, they have those bays where you put coins in and get pressurized water. Use those. They do a better job at cleaning out road salt from the undercarriage anyway.

You didn't know about these? Understandable. They've only been around for about 80 years or so.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When you go to get your paint scratched up, they have those bays where you put coins in and get pressurized water. Use those. They do a better job at cleaning out road salt from the undercarriage anyway.

You didn't know about these? Understandable. They've only been around for about 80 years or so.

Haha those do a better job at getting the undercarriage? How, by me getting down on the ground to spray under there? Or just aiming and hoping I'm spraying everything off? What I know for sure is that the car wash I go to does a good enough job that after 4 winters you can easily do work underneath without needing an acetylene torch to persuade bolts to come out.

And yeah I've heard of and much to your shock I'm sure, have used the style of car washes you are describing. That solution does not work for me at this point in my life and doesn't do as good of a job for what I need it do, I'm glad it worked for you, congratulations. Neither of your solutions are practical for me, but thank you for trying to enlighten me. Luckily you don't buy used so you don't have to worry about getting my truck after it's trashed, well that and the low payload would be a deal breaker for sure :ROFLMAO:

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Haha those do a better job at getting the undercarriage? How, by me getting down on the ground to spray under there? Or just aiming and hoping I'm spraying everything off? What I know for sure is that the car wash I go to does a good enough job that after 4 winters you can easily do work underneath without needing an acetylene torch to persuade bolts to come out.
Assuming you drive a useful truck, I don't know why you'd be flailing around on the ground to spray underneath it.

And yeah I've heard of and much to your shock I'm sure, have used the style of car washes you are describing. That solution does not work for me at this point in my life and doesn't do as good of a job for what I need it do, I'm glad it worked for you, congratulations. Neither of your solutions are practical for me, but thank you for trying to enlighten me. Luckily you don't buy used so you don't have to worry about getting my truck after it's trashed, well that and the low payload would be a deal breaker for sure :ROFLMAO:
Right, because you prioritize convenience over quality. That's fine, but call it what it is.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Assuming you drive a useful truck, I don't know why you'd be flailing around on the ground to spray underneath it.

Right, because you prioritize convenience over quality. That's fine, but call it what it is.

What do you mean by useful truck? Lifted? That's the only way it would make it any easier to spray underneath. My truck is stock and I'm not short enough or limber enough to effectively spray under it. That would leave me with spraying from the ground (flailing as you say) so I could effectively aim the sprayer, and no I'm not willing to do that and it would be foolish to do so and then get into my truck and trash the interior. Aside from that, since you know my area so well you would also know how few of those old style self spray places we have around here and that they generally get used by our local off roaders to spray off the heavy river mud after having some fun in the trails, the same reason I used to use them.

I'll call it like I see it, I'm right and your wrong, for my set of circumstances. I'm prioritizing what is practical and doable with our schedules and weather, I know that is impossible to compute for people who can never see things any way but their own. I fully admit your way is better and I would prefer to do it that way, but we don't all live in paradise with adequate free time and for the few who do manage to keep their vehicles clean by hand up in the rust belt, I give them a lot of credit.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What do you mean by useful truck? Lifted? That's the only way it would make it any easier to spray underneath. My truck is stock and I'm not short enough or limber enough to effectively spray under it. That would leave me with spraying from the ground (flailing as you say) so I could effectively aim the sprayer, and no I'm not willing to do that and it would be foolish to do so and then get into my truck and trash the interior. Aside from that, since you know my area so well you would also know how few of those old style self spray places we have around here and that they generally get used by our local off roaders to spray off the heavy river mud after having some fun in the trails, the same reason I used to use them.
I've never had a lifted truck, I'm 6'1", and have a jacked up back. Somehow, against the odds, I've found the secret to putting water under my truck.
I'll call it like I see it, I'm right and your wrong, for my set of circumstances. I'm prioritizing what is practical and doable with our schedules and weather, I know that is impossible to compute for people who can never see things any way but their own. I fully admit your way is better and I would prefer to do it that way, but we don't all live in paradise with adequate free time and for the few who do manage to keep their vehicles clean by hand up in the rust belt, I give them a lot of credit.
Yep, for you. Drive your truck into a river to clean it if you want. But don't sit there and act like a garbage automatic wash is the only way you could possibly clean your truck.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

There’s certain people that you’ll find out it’s impossible to have rational debate with. I found that out real quick in one of the other threads identical to this one.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've never had a lifted truck, I'm 6'1", and have a jacked up back. Somehow, against the odds, I've found the secret to putting water under my truck.

Yep, for you. Drive your truck into a river to clean it if you want. But don't sit there and act like a garbage automatic wash is the only way you could possibly clean your truck.
Hahaha, I found the secret to cleaning under my truck.

Roll the windows up, fold the mirrors in, gently pull forward and let the wonders of modern technology spray the road grime from the undercarriage while scrubbers gently lather and caress the exterior of my truck washing away the cares of the road. All while I relax comfortably taking in the sweet scents of cleanliness in air conditioned bliss. 🥰

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hahaha, I found the secret to cleaning under my truck.

Roll the windows up, fold the mirrors in, gently pull forward and let the wonders of modern technology spray the road grime from the undercarriage while scrubbers gently lather and caress the exterior of my truck washing away the cares of the road. All while I relax comfortably taking in the sweet scents of cleanliness in air conditioned bliss. 🥰
High pressure water and harsh chemicals aren't modern technology, no matter what that sweet sign tells you while you're waiting to get your paint scratched up.

They do smell good, though, I'll give you that. :LOL:

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There’s certain people that you’ll find out it’s impossible to have rational debate with. I found that out real quick in one of the other threads identical to this one.
:LOL:

Well, look who it is.

Sorry, bud, still don't have that peer-reviewed study for you.

And next time you want "rational debate," don't make BS claims about 1400 washes in 5 years or whatever it was.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can't beat an oscillating sprinkler to clean the undercarriage after a nasty winter, works for people who are lazy and go getters

Sure you can, just costs a little more, but has a little more oomph behind it.

WARMQ 2-in-1 Pressure Washer Undercarriage Cleaner Water Broom, 16" Surface Cleaner Power Washer Attachment with 4 Nozzles 3 Extension Rods and QC Pivot Coupler Extra Wash Mitt, 1500-4000 PSI https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0878QXTX7/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_WTGDQ3MMZBK0ABFA7RVN

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

JVSTBEE

Reaction score
Question for you winter up north guys. So when it’s the nice season are you still using those car washes or do you switch to handwashing again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm in North Dakota. When summer finally breaks here, I'd say it's 50/50. It's dependent on what the kids' schedules are and what's on my "honey-do" list. :)

I will say, moving here from the east coast (VA), I never used car washes before but it's not really an option up here with the weather. However, I have not seen any major difference in the quality of my paint using the automatic car washes across several vehicles since being here.

Users who are viewing this thread