5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will all OEM 18"s clear calipers on all 5th gen Rams?

TruckFirst

Reaction score
First post to this forum. Great resource reading everybody's input. I've got a basic question that I've searched the forum for but didn't see an answer: will any/all OEM 18" wheels for 5th gen Rams work for any trim level truck? I've read that aftermarket 18"s can be tight and need a bit of shave to the casting flanges on the calipers, but I'm just looking to get a set of 18" take offs to mount snow tires for the winter. I've got a limited 4wd with air suspension - can get any 18" OEM and clear the calipers without problem?

Thanks in advance.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
First post to this forum. Great resource reading everybody's input. I've got a basic question that I've searched the forum for but didn't see an answer: will any/all OEM 18" wheels for 5th gen Rams work for any trim level truck? I've read that aftermarket 18"s can be tight and need a bit of shave to the casting flanges on the calipers, but I'm just looking to get a set of 18" take offs to mount snow tires for the winter. I've got a limited 4wd with air suspension - can get any 18" OEM and clear the calipers without problem?

Thanks in advance.
Yes, the OEM 18" will fit on any trim level and vice versa with 20" and 22"

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thanks in advance.
Check out the for sale thread often. There’s always people selling their take off’s. I got a Rebel set with the stock Duratracs which are awesome and also snow rated.

Scram1500

Reaction score
A few choices out there as well for OEM 18's. There are Laramie 18's, instead of a chunky 5 spoke they are a thinner blade 6 spoke. Then of course there are the Rebel rims which look pretty nice. eBay has a plethora of take offs for dirt cheap

PorBoy

Reaction score
Post where you are OP as there may be some close to you willing to sell asap.

TruckFirst

Reaction score
I'm in the seattle area. I bought my truck used and it came with a set of OEM 22s, so I'm looking for 18s for winter duty running up to the ski slopes every weekend.

Interesting aside - the previous owner had the OEM rims plasti-dipped black instead of powdercoated or painted. First time I'd ever seen rims plasti-dipped. Seem to be holding up ok.

Giudel583

Reaction score

TruckFirst

Reaction score
Thanks everybody - just bought a set of the 18" Bighorn 5 spokes off ebay, $295 plus shipping. Costco's doing a good deal on Blizzaks, $150 off.

PorBoy

Reaction score
^^^. Nice will you be buying new TPMS sensors or trying to reuse your old ones ?

Wsmith

Reaction score
I'm in the seattle area. I bought my truck used and it came with a set of OEM 22s, so I'm looking for 18s for winter duty running up to the ski slopes every weekend.

Interesting aside - the previous owner had the OEM rims plasti-dipped black instead of powdercoated or painted. First time I'd ever seen rims plasti-dipped. Seem to be holding up ok.
I know many people that have plasti dipped rims. They hold up reasonably well, when you get tired you can peel and change the color or shade. I love plasti dip, it's fun to use.

TruckFirst

Reaction score
^^^. Nice will you be buying new TPMS sensors or trying to reuse your old ones ?
I'll get new ones so I don't have to unmount the tires on the 22s. Better not get a flat during the winter - would be interesting trying to get home on 3 blizzaks and a 22" goodyear!

TruckFirst

Reaction score
I know many people that have plasti dipped rims. They hold up reasonably well, when you get tired you can peel and change the color or shade. I love plasti dip, it's fun to use.
I had no idea! Good to know, thanks for the input.

There's a slight vibration at 78 mph which the tire shop can't balance out, they reckon it's something to do with the plastidip not being evenly applied.

Users who are viewing this thread