5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will a Spacer help me

Chief holley

Reaction score
I was in the shop getting some work done for road grime and rocks hitting my front end. The Tech showed me a picture of my tire and said it was rubbing. Me, I was thinking that I’m fine, that when I was cutting it too hard, I thought the plastic of the front wheelwell liner would have given away. I was wrong. I have a MaxTrac 2-4 lowering kit on her with the stock wheels and tires, it also is 4 x 4 if that makes a difference. Will adding a 0.5 spacer or so eliminate the hard rub? Or will I be adding a whole different wear issue to the truck? She rides almost as good as factory, I just can’t pull in forward to parking bump stops because of the air dam and can’t do full steering wheel turns because of rubbing. Will this be something that I Always have to deal with or could someone offer me better solutions?

Attachments

• FBCECBCB-BA37-46EC-A6DD-FC5FB85CAADA.jpeg
    FBCECBCB-BA37-46EC-A6DD-FC5FB85CAADA.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 1495308A-CF8F-4094-A0EA-B095684E5E4D.jpeg
    1495308A-CF8F-4094-A0EA-B095684E5E4D.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 0AE7211B-9DE8-4458-A39C-7975078C19B0.jpeg
    0AE7211B-9DE8-4458-A39C-7975078C19B0.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 2C281AEB-5881-4DCD-B142-C35997A5AEFF.jpeg
    2C281AEB-5881-4DCD-B142-C35997A5AEFF.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 43

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Holy crap, that’s severe. Did you rub a suspension bolt? You need to identify exactly what the tire is making contact with to see what you have to do. A spacer will push the wheel farther outboard, which depending on what it’s touching, should alleviate it. At some point the more negative offset you go from stock, The higher chance you have of contacting the outside of the front bumper and rear fender area.

lapoolboy

Reaction score
Stop driving immediately - that's a blow-out waiting to happen. Turn the wheels lock to lock and look under there to see what is rubbing so you can plan corrective action accordingly.

Chief holley

Reaction score
Stop driving immediately - that's a blow-out waiting to happen. Turn the wheels lock to lock and look under there to see what is rubbing so you can plan corrective action accordingly.
She’s still in the shop, plus I was already planning on getting 4 tires because our stockers are straight garbage. But of course I wanted to try to address this problem. I didn’t think about a bolt causing the rubbing.

Chief holley

Reaction score
Holy crap, that’s severe. Did you rub a suspension bolt? You need to identify exactly what the tire is making contact with to see what you have to do. A spacer will push the wheel farther outboard, which depending on what it’s touching, should alleviate it. At some point the more negative offset you go from stock, The higher chance you have of contacting the outside of the front bumper and rear fender area.
That’s kind of what I was fearing, that the rubbing will now be from the fender.

Chief holley

Reaction score
She’s still in the shop, plus I was already planning on getting 4 tires because our stockers are straight garbage. But of course I wanted to try to address this problem. I didn’t think about a bolt causing the rubbing.
Also, I was thinking about how I would squeeze my big butt underneath with its lower profile. I’m going to have to put it on a lift

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Also, I was thinking about how I would squeeze my big butt underneath with its lower profile. I’m going to have to put it on a lift
When I said bolt it was an unlikely example, but it could be an ear from a bracket. I’d have to look around in the morning to see what it could be. Easy idea: you could slide a cheap wardrobe or other mirror under the chassis so you can see it yourself.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
looke like you rubbing on your lower control arms knuckle seen it with people who have. big wide tires with stock rims … you can put. a half inch spacer to give you some more space …. safe side i would do 3/4 inch of a soacer

Chief holley

Reaction score
When I said bolt it was an unlikely example, but it could be an ear from a bracket. I’d have to look around in the morning to see what it could be. Easy idea: you could slide a cheap wardrobe or other mirror under the chassis so you can see it yourself.
Best community ever! Truck looks amazing with the lower stance so I REALLY don’t want to change it back to stock height.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow, you took a good chunk out of the tire. What they said - I'd want to see what it's hitting before making any call on a fix. If all you did was lower, would it have hit anyway if you just hit a big enough bump? Spacer will increase bearing load but 1/2" isn't much, though I'd prefer a wheel with the correct offset if it comes to it.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just took a look under mine and the only things that could contact are control arms and the swaybar. Either something got stuck in your suspension and did that to the tire, or it’s contacting the control arm extremely hard. I feel like somethings not adding up here.

Chief holley

Reaction score
I spoke to the shop a little more and they think I just had a bad tire by the way it is only split in just one spot. They will be taking it off the rim soon so I should get a better answer.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I spoke to the shop a little more and they think I just had a bad tire by the way it is only split in just one spot. They will be taking it off the rim soon so I should get a better answer.
Yeah I was gonna say that makes no sense how it would only be damaged in that one spot if it was rubbing when the truck is rolling lol if that was the case then the whole sidewall would be thrashed. Still weird though. But trim your plastics on the truck or heat them up and push them away so that you don’t have any rubbing, that way if you hear rubbing with the new tires you know somethings not right.

Users who are viewing this thread