5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WIFI

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I get it. It’s not capped per say as much as the rate limit. Highly doubt they use QoS to do that although they may simply toss you into a scavenger class. But I don’t want all of my devices being rate limited because my kids burned through 22G of data. For me the extra cost is worth it.

I agree. I purchased in car Wifi to keep my devices from getting to the cap limit.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the limited AT&T wifi can temporarily be transferred to another vehicle for a day. I bought the 2 year plan and we are driving straight through to Florida tomorrow and would love the wifi in the minivan for the 22 hour drive. I am doubting it will happen, but just figured I would ask.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Thanks. Can the truck connect to your home’s wifi to download new apps and software updates?
You don’t have to. For apps and software updates, it uses its own satellite connection. You’re good.

grinch72

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the limited AT&T wifi can temporarily be transferred to another vehicle for a day. I bought the 2 year plan and we are driving straight through to Florida tomorrow and would love the wifi in the minivan for the 22 hour drive. I am doubting it will happen, but just figured I would ask.
No but you can buy a single month in the minivan and then cancel.

parkerbarhorst

Reaction score
SiriusXM is obviously satellite radio, but is the AT&T hotspot have to do with a cell tower, or the satellite also? if i remember right SiriusXM and the hotspot are one and the same basically?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
SiriusXM is obviously satellite radio, but is the AT&T hotspot have to do with a cell tower, or the satellite also? if i remember right SiriusXM and the hotspot are one and the same basically?
They are two different systems. Sirius, like you've pointed out, is satellite radio.
The WiFi hotspot is attached to the built-in LTE modem from AT&T, which requires a data subscription to operate, just like any data-connected cell phone or tablet.

You can purchase month to month plans from AT&T for $25, or yearly plans which that run $20 (they also have a free 1GB data trial for three months).

Once this is in place, you create a WiFi SSID on the hotspot, that you use to connect up to 8-10 client devices (can't remember the exact number).

Cheers,

parkerbarhorst

Reaction score
They are two different systems. Sirius, like you've pointed out, is satellite radio.
The WiFi hotspot is attached to the built-in LTE modem from AT&T, which requires a data subscription to operate, just like any data-connected cell phone or tablet.

You can purchase month to month plans from AT&T for $25, or yearly plans which that run $20.

Cheers,
Thank you! but I am taking a trip through some mountains and my girlfriend wants to do homework on her laptop, so i guess what I'm wondering is will I have wifi through the mountains without cell service. Maybe you answered my question, but if you ask my girlfriend, i am terrible at interpreting answers lol

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you! but I am taking a trip through some mountains and my girlfriend wants to do homework on her laptop, so i guess what I'm wondering is will I have wifi through the mountains without cell service. Maybe you answered my question, but if you ask my girlfriend, i am terrible at interpreting answers lol

If you can't connect to an AT&T cellular tower, your truck's WiFi is not going to have service. I.e. no, you won't "have WiFi" in the mountains.

Technically: You WILL have WiFi. You just won't have a connection to the Internet. It will be just like if the Internet at your house goes out. You can still connect to your WiFi (i.e. your wireless access point). But, it is not connected to the Internet, so you can't do anything.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
You will have WiFi no matter what since that's provided by the truck's hotspot, but you will be dependent on the coverage from the truck's LTE modem to the cell towers, so if that's spotty, then you may have gaps in internet access, (even though you will still have five bars of signal to WiFi).

Mobile Phone <=> WiFi <=> LTE Modem <=> Cell Tower

parkerbarhorst

Reaction score
th
You will have WiFi no matter what since that's provided by the truck's hotspot, but you will be dependent on the coverage from the truck's LTE modem to the cell towers, so if that's spotty, then you may have gaps in internet access, (even though you will still have five bars of signal to WiFi).

Mobile Phone <=> WiFi <=> LTE Modem <=> Cell Tower
thanks for clearing that up for me, appreciate it greatly!

Pritch

Reaction score
Apparently my new Laramie does not have a hotspot, which I would really like to allow uploading footage from a dash cam or sending me alerts when a break in occurs.
I have the Uconnect 4 with the 8.4” screen. (No nav). While it has Sirius XM, it does not have Sirius XM Guardian, which is apparently an OnStar type of product. No WiFi icon in the Apps page. It does have the shark fin.
I may have to add a hotspot of my own, as my use would occur when me (and my phone) are elsewhere.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Apparently my new Laramie does not have a hotspot, which I would really like to allow uploading footage from a dash cam or sending me alerts when a break in occurs.
I have the Uconnect 4 with the 8.4” screen. (No nav). While it has Sirius XM, it does not have Sirius XM Guardian, which is apparently an OnStar type of product. No WiFi icon in the Apps page. It does have the shark fin.
I may have to add a hotspot of my own, as my use would occur when me (and my phone) are elsewhere.

If you did have the factory hotspot, would it even be powered to support having alerts if a break-in occurs? I would think it would power off when the truck is off.

mxzoom

Reaction score
Channel-Port aux Basques, Newfoundland , Canada
I currently live in Canada. When I try to connect my truck to WIFI Hotspot, it wants to connect to AT&T. Obviously we don't have AT&T in Canada so how do we use this feature in Canada? Is there a way to change from AT&T?

Did you ever figure out a way to change from at&t, I am in newfoundland, I cannot access AT&T from where i live, and the uconnect app only works when I am in an AT&T service area.

Zeeya

Reaction score
Picked up on special offer that they kept mailing me. $15.00 is what I’m paying for the 22gigs a month.

Donaldo

Reaction score
Picked up on special offer that they kept mailing me. $15.00 is what I’m paying for the 22gigs a month.

Is the offer through a carrier or FCA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donaldo

Reaction score
When using the SXM, I like the feature that allows me to switch to internet streaming when I enter a parking garage or underpass. Does this use the WiFi hotspot? I am currently under the 3mo free trial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread