5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi password incorrect

Johnvan

Reaction score
I just finished a 2000 mile road trip with the family. When trying to connect to the wifi hotspot we frequently get a password incorrect message on our phone /tablet.
On the trip home it was completely unusable. 6 different devices, some Android and some IOS all had the problem.
We know that the password is correct and we have available data and an active subscription. I tried renaming the hotspot and changing the password but it reverts back to the original.

MarvinK

Reaction score
Same issue, here. Basically the only way I have found to get it working is turn the car off for a while. Going to try and get some traction with support...

justin4715

Reaction score
Did you ever find a resolution? This issue happened yesterday to my family and I on a long trip. Bought the unlimited plan last week, got the kids devices hooked up in advance to make sure everything was working in advance, etc. Start the trip and all is working well, then we make a quick rest stop. Start the truck and none of their devices would connect to the WiFi of the truck and received the invalid password error. Turned the truck on and off multiple times, turned WiFi on and off on the truck and devices multiple times, restarted the iPads. Called Uconnect and there is no support on Sundays.

Johnvan

Reaction score
Was it an area with poor cell coverage? That's where I encountered problems. Mines been working well lately but I've been traveling in areas with good coverage.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Was it an area with poor cell coverage? That's where I encountered problems. Mines been working well lately but I've been traveling in areas with good coverage.
Cell coverage has nothing to do with it. It's a bug in Uconnect.

Wifi and cell are two different things. You can have wifi enabled and working all day long, even if your cell service is disconnected (of course you will not connect to the internet, just the truck's wifi receiver. That's it).

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Hopefully the mythical Uconnect fall update will fix this and the myriad of other issues, like screen going dark, CarPlay disconnecting, XM losing presets, and 78 others that I can't think of right now...

Johnvan

Reaction score
Cell coverage has nothing to do with it. It's a bug in Uconnect.

Wifi and cell are two different things. You can have wifi enabled and working all day long, even if your cell service is disconnected (of course you will not connect to the internet, just the truck's wifi receiver. That's it).

I understand the difference between wifi and cell coverage. In theory you should be able to connect to the wifi regardless of your connection.
This problem is pretty consistent for me when I'm in an area with weaker coverage. My wife has AT&T on her phone so I can get an idea of the signal strength from that. Uconnect always seems to show full bars.
It's too much of a coincidence to ignore, as soon as I enter an area with poor cell coverage I'll have the password problem after shutting off the truck. Never happens in areas with good coverage.

Johnvan

Reaction score
Maybe as an added security measure there's some sort of verification happening with the Uconnect server. If it can't connect it can't verify the password?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Maybe as an added security measure there's some sort of verification happening with the Uconnect server. If it can't connect it can't verify the password?
Doub it. I cancelled my AT&T subscription a couple of weeks ago and my wifi still connects fine (keep forgetting to turn it off). Also, if you have more than one phone connecting to it, you will see that not all phones do this. On a recent trip, my iPhone was the primary, but got the dreaded "wrong password" msg, while my wife's phone was connected just fine. So the LTE signal def has nothing to do with this. It's the stinking Uconnect. Buggy as crap.

Johnvan

Reaction score
Definitely buggy. My SiriusXM presets have all disappeared. There's no point in adding them because they just dissappear again.

justin4715

Reaction score
Ok must just be a bug. Checked today and was able to connect to the truck’s WiFi in the same area without issue. We’ll see what happens when we make the trip home in a 2 weeks. Thanks.

KJ13

Reaction score
Happened to me in July. I called UConnect through the screen menu, they routed me to AT&T, where after 10 minutes of combined hold time, stopping, turning engine off, and opening/closing the door I was informed it’s an issue with Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram so take to the dealer. The next day it worked fine and has not repeated. Like many of you, This happened on a vacation drive with kids going through WiFi withdrawals.

justin4715

Reaction score
Happened to me in July. I called UConnect through the screen menu, they routed me to AT&T, where after 10 minutes of combined hold time, stopping, turning engine off, and opening/closing the door I was informed it’s an issue with Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram so take to the dealer. The next day it worked fine and has not repeated. Like many of you, This happened on a vacation drive with kids going through WiFi withdrawals.
Made our 12 hour return trip yesterday and it happened again. After two hours of driving stopped to get gas and none of the devices would connect again for the remaining trip. Called uconnect, they told me it was AT&T. I called ATT, they sent a refresh signal, checked the cell towers in the area I was and told me told me all was fine on their end. They had me try changing the WiFi password, but uconnect wouldn’t take the change, which then prompted them to tell me it is a problem with uconnect since it is not responding changes/inputs. Got up and checked this morning and miraculously working again. Seems as if the truck needs to be turned off for awhile to fully restart the uconnect/radio.

Needless to say, I will be cancelling the service until they can figure out what appears to be a software bug.

Johnvan

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of a road trip now. It's been a problem for me as well. I'd say it works about 30% of the time.

RK Shipping Inc

Reaction score
I just finished a 2000 mile road trip with the family. When trying to connect to the wifi hotspot we frequently get a password incorrect message on our phone /tablet.
On the trip home it was completely unusable. 6 different devices, some Android and some IOS all had the problem.
We know that the password is correct and we have available data and an active subscription. I tried renaming the hotspot and changing the password but it reverts back to the original.
Hi, I see this is a common issue, just wanted to say that here’s one more person who bought the AT&T hotspot feature and is having problems with it. I had intended to use it a lot, but it really seems to be buggy. If the truck is off overnight it seems to work, but then after a couple restarts like stopping for fuel, I get “incorrect password” errors on the four different devices that are using it. What’s even more frustrating and a symptom of a bigger problem is when I try to change the password, it won’t let me, I see some of you are experiencing this too. Hopefully there’s a firmware upgrade on the way soon.

Phullofphil

Reaction score
Just throwing this out there. Unless you got something is full to say that will help don’t just have a post explaining that you have the same problem. Makes the thread way to long and needlessly confusing to find an answer. I am not trying to be rude but you all got to admit that a post that has a question sucks when there is 10 pages of me to and I also have that problem reply when you are trying to find an answer

Reactions: JTB

RK Shipping Inc

Reaction score
Well I’ve been driving my truck for a couple weeks now on a commercial level and I believe I have a “workaround” for the internet problem, if you can call it that.
Basically, If the internet is already working, you can keep it working for at least a few solid days by not shutting the truck completely off. Yeah that’s why I don’t call it a real workaround, but here is what you can do if you work out of your truck or you are going on a long trip. Assuming the internet is working already, let’s say you need to make a pit stop somewhere. Press the button to shut the truck off. You have a few seconds or whatever grace period before the screen also shuts off, so you need to immediately press the start button again without your foot on the brake to put it in “ACC” mode. This will keep the internet running without the engine also running. You can still lock your doors. Obviously I don’t advocate doing this for a long period of time, especially if you only have the single battery option. The reason I know it works on a long term basis is because I have a generator that keeps the battery charged so I have been able to keep the truck “on” either with the engine running or in ACC mode, for just a few minutes or as long as all night while I was in the sleeper with the generator running. I’ve had the internet working for several days/nights straight, and the only time it locks up is if I shut the truck off completely for more than 10 minutes or so. I’ve been hesitant to experiment with exactly how long it takes because it’s really nice to have it working, and it works so well. It’s fast and (so far) I haven’t found any places where it doesn’t work. Hope this helps somebody in the short term.

Johnvan

Reaction score
I’ll try that tip for gas station stops.

Also, the unlimited plan is on sale right now for only $15 a month vs $25. Offer expires end of October.

MaxSteelRam3500

Reaction score
Solution found!
January 25th 2020. Just picked up my 2020 Limited 3500 megacab dually. Before even leaving dealership I activated yearly subscription for WiFi.
After the first fuel stop the hotspot stopped working. My kid's iPads would say the password was incorrect. Our Android phones said "Could not authenticate connection "
I was unable to change the password in hotspot screen of Uniconnect. The problem remained for the rest of 12 hour drive that day.
After a 12 hour break in a hotel, everything was back to normal. Wifi worked.
I figured that the wifi router doesn't like to be shut down suddenly when you turn off your truck. So at the next fuel stop, I turned off the hotspot manually by unchecking the box on hotspot screen. I gave it a minute as the truck cooled down and shut down the engine. When I finished refueling, I started up the truck and then turned on the hotspot. Both iPads and both Android phones imminently reconnected to the hotspot.
Problem solved.
I moved the Wifi hotspot icon to the bottom bar of the 12 inch screen so it is easier to access. Now I just have to train myself to remember to turn it off before I shut down the truck.
Hopefully a more permanent solution will be available soon.

Users who are viewing this thread