5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi password incorrect

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Solution found!
January 25th 2020. Just picked up my 2020 Limited 3500 megacab dually. Before even leaving dealership I activated yearly subscription for WiFi.
After the first fuel stop the hotspot stopped working. My kid's iPads would say the password was incorrect. Our Android phones said "Could not authenticate connection "
I was unable to change the password in hotspot screen of Uniconnect. The problem remained for the rest of 12 hour drive that day.
After a 12 hour break in a hotel, everything was back to normal. Wifi worked.
I figured that the wifi router doesn't like to be shut down suddenly when you turn off your truck. So at the next fuel stop, I turned off the hotspot manually by unchecking the box on hotspot screen. I gave it a minute as the truck cooled down and shut down the engine. When I finished refueling, I started up the truck and then turned on the hotspot. Both iPads and both Android phones imminently reconnected to the hotspot.
Problem solved.
I moved the Wifi hotspot icon to the bottom bar of the 12 inch screen so it is easier to access. Now I just have to train myself to remember to turn it off before I shut down the truck.
Hopefully a more permanent solution will be available soon.
Good tip.
I no longer use this since the frustration wasn’t worth it, but hopefully they fix this mess permanently.

Cheers

BobsBigBoy

Reaction score
I don’t have a Ram, but my Pacifica Hybrid with Uconnect has the same problem, and I found this thread while searching to see if anyone else had come up with a solution to this issue. It doesn’t look like that’s the case, but I just wanted to let you all know that at least there is a “fix” for the issue when it comes up. You have to reboot the Uconnect system by pulling the fuse and replacing it. On my PacHy, the fuse is under the hood so it’s sort of a pain in the butt, but it does fix the issue 100% of the time.

Fortunately, you don’t seem to lose any settings by doing this (possibly radio presets, but I don’t know because I never use those), though it does seem to take an engine cycle or two before the Uconnect system “wakes up” fully and realizes what kind of vehicle it’s in. Icons will appear differently from usual and the system will behave oddly (for example, I temporarily lose access to the rear climate control), but at least the WiFi and CarPlay still work, so it’s not too big of a deal. I’m thinking about putting the fuse on a remote control so I can reset the system on the fly, since the WiFi tends to go out pretty often, sometimes as often as every 2-3 hours of driving.

Johnvan

Reaction score
My solution was to cancel my subscription and buy a WiFi hotspot from boost mobile. It’ll be $50 for 50 gb. I’ll use that on my upcoming road trip in April.
Frustrating that they can’t fix it but I’d consider it unusable the way it is.

JustAnotherGuy

Reaction score
Old thread but I want to add. My truck never would let me connect to it, regardless of weather the truck was connected to the network. Then I did an over the air software update and it started working after that. 3 weeks ago I decided to go hunting with my father in law and son. The property has no Verizon service within 50 miles, only ATT. Fortunately the truck is ATT. When I arrived at the property the wifi was working. After I parked and unloaded the truck we hopped back in to ride around. For the rest of the trip my phone never saw the hotspot. I tried everything. Resetting, restarting, turning the truck off with hotspot on, then with hotspot off, etc. etc. etc. No matter what my phone never saw the hotspot nor did any other device. To me it seemed like the router that's built into the truck is faulty. I've yet to take it back in for service to get this looked at.

Really annoying as that's why I have the subscription in the first place. I'm grandfathered into the holy grail of phone plans on my daily carry, I have Verizon global unlimited. I spend a lot of time in Asia and can use unlimited date without getting charged or throttled. Anywhere in the world actually. $120 month with unlimited talk also. Only catch is I've purchased every phone outright since 2012, any subsidies and they kick me out of the plan. So the only time i need wifi is when I'm in rural areas.

Lrpilot

Reaction score
I’m reviving an old thread to see if there have been any further fixes to this issue. I’m experiencing the same. It works great for a while and then quits working until the truck has been powered down for a few hours. Any suggestions beyond what’s in this thread already? Thanks.

kenj20Mack

Reaction score
I've had this issue off an on for awhile on my 2019 Ram 1500 Limited. Its very annoying because the error messages (wrong password, can't connect, etc) are not really correct or helpful. I found an easier solution than pulling out the fuses. I just reset the wifi settings. Go to "Settings-Reset- Restore Settings". That also reset the wifi network name and password to a default. I was previously not able to make any changes to the wifi network name or password due to this issue. But it seems to be working now. Also put a support ticket into Uconnect as they should know about this and work on a fix.

Quint

Reaction score
They've got too many trucks to build & sell. They don't have time to fix things for previous customers.

tsbbartholomew1

Reaction score
This will happen every once in a while for me after a quick stop with the truck shut off but I have found that doing a full uconnect reset and reboot (holding both the volume and tune buttons in for 10 seconds and then letting them go) will always get it right back going...annoying yes but at least it works

jimwjones

Reaction score
It’s so infuriating. I’ve been dealing with it for years in this truck. Insane to have to get out and pull a fuse to make such a basic function operate. This is why companies like Tesla and Rivian will put Rams parent companies out of business. Their cars can improve with time and they actually dedicate resources to continued improvement. Big “3” wants only to get to the next sales cycle. It’s like passing a bad student to the next grade so you don’t have to deal with it any more.

Users who are viewing this thread