5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why no HUD?

5thgenram1989

Reaction score
Just wondering why a truck so high tech doesn’t come with a heads up display option.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

chrisfuss

Reaction score
Imho they are not worth the Money and hassle when you have to replace the windshield...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HardwoodHero

Reaction score
I'd like to have it. My wife has it in her Denali and I have to say that it's nice to have for sure.

5thgenram1989

Reaction score
I'd like to have it. My wife has it in her Denali and I have to say that it's nice to have for sure.
I have it in my Camaro, It's the only way I determine speed.
Imho they are not worth the Money and hassle when you have to replace the windshield...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They should be an option, regardless of windshield replacement. All you have to do is buy a windshield approved one. Not that hard. Do any Rams/Dodge/Jeep have it? I don't think they do.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It’s not a perfect solution but if you go to amazon and search “heads up display” you will find a bunch of devices that plug into your odbII port and project the image on your windshield for like $20-30.

Last edited:

lylemsharp

Reaction score
After spending some time looking at the after-market HUD options, I'm not impressed at all. It's 2019: moving speed and engine information onto the windshield is not very helpful and was technology in our military aircraft from 40 years ago. What would be actually useful on the higher-end vehicles with automated driver assistance features is an augmented reality display on the windshield showing us what the vehicle thinks it is doing or going to do so that tandem human/machine driving has fewer aw-**** moments where the human is surprised by an unexpected vehicle action or hand over. This would of course, have to be overlayed onto actual lines in the road showing the vehicle's detected lane paths and such. Now that, would be inline with future level 3 systems and permit humans to actually supervise automated driving without sleeping through it. Maybe, Ram is still working on that and didn't want to stick a standard instrument cluster on the windshield and call it good?...

cra1g

Reaction score
My Ram does have sort of a heads-up display--the windshield always shows the reflection of the light-colored stitching on the black dash. (one of the very few things I don't particularly like about this truck)

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Ram does have sort of a heads-up display--the windshield always shows the reflection of the light-colored stitching on the black dash. (one of the very few things I don't particularly like about this truck)

You could spend some quality time with a black Sharpie?

Users who are viewing this thread