5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do cars need new tires so soon?

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've known for quite some time that OEM tires usually don't perform well and often wear out sooner than the same make/model not built to OEM spec's. I put Michelin Defender LTX tires on my truck shortly after I bought it, and they perform so much better than the OEM Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenzas that came on the truck. I ran across this video tonight and thought I'd share:

AndreiV

Reaction score
Idk, I think it is all about the driver and proper inflation checks on monthly basis. Too early to say about OEM tires on the truck, but same brand tires rated for 50k miles lasted on my family SUV for 55k+ miles as OEM tires. And when i went to discount tire to change it they were surprised, they rarely seen them last above 40k. SUV was driven 50/50 city/highway moderately. I always kept +2psi in tires above door recommendation and checked pressure monthly.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Wife’s van came with some awesome Michelin’s from new. 2-3 years into ownership. Had to replace them as for dry-rooting. So disappointed as tread depth was still almost new. Though SW Texas is not kind to batteries or tires.

n8zcc

Reaction score
I got 77,000 miles out of the factory tires that came on my 2013 RAM. My wife's 2013 Equinox factory tires made it to 83,000 miles.

beetlespin

Reaction score
I think a lot of it depends on what speed you drive.

Ask the Nascar guys. They go through a set of tires every 50-100 miles.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I got 77,000 miles out of the factory tires that came on my 2013 RAM. My wife's 2013 Equinox factory tires made it to 83,000 miles.
That's not necessarily a good thing:oops: If you drove on them for >5 years, you were jeopardizing your safety. Tires should be replaced every 5 years, regardless of mileage, as the rubber deteriorates and creates a safety issue. If you got that much out of each within the 5-year period, then you did well my friend. I 100% agree with post #4 that @jamesacevedor wrote.

Av1

Reaction score
The reason why tires are replaced every few years is that they slowly deteriorate with use. Sure, they might look fine, but a tire’s quality is entirely based on its performance. The only way to keep your performance up is to replace your tires once the old ones have deteriorated. This is the same with a car. The rubber on the tires is critical to your safety. If the tread wears down, the tires can overheat, leading to dangerous blowouts on the road. You can get more information from Arya fine motors.

The beginning of your post is on point.

The end is incorrect, however. Tires run cooler as they wear down.

This is due to many factors, but primarily due to less tread mass and squirm. Tires have less rolling resistance as they wear.

The main cause for tires overheating and blowing out is incorrect pressure for load.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has more to do with the owner, driving style, and maintenance practices. A lot of new cars do use softer tread compound, on OEM tires, to help with ride comfort. I see more people replacing the factory tires because they hate the performance, or they want a different size.

On the 99 Dakota R/T I had, I was going through a set of tires about every 6 months. I put 120k miles on it in just over 3 years and drove that thing hard, and raced it. Did regular rotations, but also quite a few burnouts.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Useful date/age for tires have various factors.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's not necessarily a good thing:oops: If you drove on them for >5 years, you were jeopardizing your safety. Tires should be replaced every 5 years, regardless of mileage, as the rubber deteriorates and creates a safety issue. If you got that much out of each within the 5-year period, then you did well my friend. I 100% agree with post #4 that @jamesacevedor wrote.
That's an industry recommendation, not not always necessarily true. If you maintain the tires properly, and park in a garage, it's not as necessary as someone who parks outside in extreme weather conditions. Has more to do with liability for the tire manufacturer than actual need. I know cars driving around still with 20 year old tires. But they are show cars that don't get driven often and spend most of their time in a garage, or weekend cruisers.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's an industry recommendation, not not always necessarily true. If you maintain the tires properly, and park in a garage, it's not as necessary as someone who parks outside in extreme weather conditions. Has more to do with liability for the tire manufacturer than actual need. I know cars driving around still with 20 year old tires. But they are show cars that don't get driven often and spend most of their time in a garage, or weekend cruisers.
I think your response goes without saying and I 100% agree. I don't believe that @n8zcc vehicles are show cars;) UV has a huge impact on tires and parking outside will certainly do far more damage than housing your vehicle in a garage.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think your response goes without saying and I 100% agree. I don't believe that @n8zcc vehicles are show cars;) UV has a huge impact on tires and parking outside will certainly do far more damage than housing your vehicle in a garage.
No, but you also don't know how many miles he drives pee year. If he only drives the average 15k mikes a year, he would have been at 75k miles at the 5-year mark

jmrhodes212

Reaction score
Some new cars come with tires that are a different rubber, or at least used to be that way. That was why factory tires would wear so fast. They did that to get the best experience at the dealer during test drives.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For anyone wondering what happened to the post from jamesacevedor, I banned him/it. It was a bot account, with an IP address in Pakistan.

Users who are viewing this thread