5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why did you choose the V6 over the hemi?

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well if you were older you’d have experienced what we did in the 70’s... Emissions just killed performance. Example of the trucks of that era:
My 1977 3500 GMC SRW CC 8’ bed 4x4, 4.10 geared 3 speed auto 400 small block had this for power (granted it was a heavier CC than todays 1500’s are).
This article portion from “itstillruns” website -
“The 400 CID Chevy small block engine was produced from 1970 until 1980 and was the largest displacement engine made in that platform. It was intended as a low performance, high-torque engine primarily used in Chevy's heavier passenger cars and light-duty trucks.”
The specs for the motor were: R4carb, 8.5:1 compression, 175HP @ 3600 rpm, 305 lbs ft torque @ 2000 rpm. Remember this is with only a 3 speed auto...

Now compare that with the Pentstar V6 in the RAM 1500: 305 HP @ 6400 rpm (!), 269 lbs ft torque @ 4800 rpm, 11.3:1 compression, and the 8 speed tranny.

So yeah, I had the torque down low with the 400 but it was an utter dog on the highway. Coming from that era truck, the Pentstar flies...

BigD

Reaction score
Well if you were older you’d have experienced what we did in the 70’s... Emissions just killed performance. Example of the trucks of that era:
My 1977 3500 GMC SRW CC 8’ bed 4x4, 4.10 geared 3 speed auto 400 small block had this for power (granted it was a heavier CC than todays 1500’s are).
This article portion from “itstillruns” website -
“The 400 CID Chevy small block engine was produced from 1970 until 1980 and was the largest displacement engine made in that platform. It was intended as a low performance, high-torque engine primarily used in Chevy's heavier passenger cars and light-duty trucks.”
The specs for the motor were: R4carb, 8.5:1 compression, 175HP @ 3600 rpm, 305 lbs ft torque @ 2000 rpm. Remember this is with only a 3 speed auto...

Now compare that with the Pentstar V6 in the RAM 1500: 305 HP @ 6400 rpm (!), 269 lbs ft torque @ 4800 rpm, 11.3:1 compression, and the 8 speed tranny.

So yeah, I had the torque down low with the 400 but it was an utter dog on the highway. Coming from that era truck, the Pentstar flies...
I grew up in the 90's but I had a 77 Camaro & a 78 Trans Am. Both dogs. That 78 TA had a 400 ci motor & only put out 180 hp. Even the cars in the 80's & early 90's sucked. 250 hp was considered good. Now days is an exciting time to be buying vehicles. I'd love to test drive a Raptor. I buy trucks because that's all I fit inside being 6' 7" otherwise a Hellcat would be sweet !

Scrambler

Reaction score
The truth is I got a fantastic deal on a Limited but it came with the V6. I traded my 2017 Silverado in on it that only got 15 MPG so I figured I couldn't lose.
WIth all that said, I have zero regrets because the V6 has pulled me thru pretty nasty terrain in the back woods of Michigan with a bed full of gear and a 2,000 lb trailer. I'm talking mud and snow mix as well as hills. It just kept pulling and pulling when I though for sure we were gonna be stuck and stranded.
Believe me, I love the sound of the Hemi, but reading the bitching from my fellow Ram owners about the 9 MPG..............I gotta ask why? My truck is my commuter vehicle for 90% of the time anyway.
Again, I traded in my Silverado and only $15,000 for a sweet air ride truck with every conceivable option you could imagine and I also get 24 MPG on top of that!
So I didn't choose the V6, but based on performance, I can tell you I'll definitely get another one versus shelling out almost $3,000 for a Hemi. No offense to anybody, but It doesn't make any sense to me.

KeithStone76

Reaction score
I get 23 mpg highway with my 5.7 Hemi with etorque & 3.92 gears. I average 19 mpg slamming on the gas driving around the city. Gas is $1.50/gallon. Dirt cheap. I'd rather have the power whether I technically need it or not. Resale value on the V-6 is horrendous ! Nobody buys them unless they are used as fleet vehicles for business use. That being said the Pentastar engine has been around along time. It's a good engine, just more suited for my mom or my wife than me.
Nobody buys them except fleet? Totally disagree. And the argument regarding resale is not a valid one if you are trading a V6 to buy another V6.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

KeithStone76

Reaction score
I get 23 mpg highway with my 5.7 Hemi with etorque & 3.92 gears. I average 19 mpg slamming on the gas driving around the city. Gas is $1.50/gallon. Dirt cheap. I'd rather have the power whether I technically need it or not. Resale value on the V-6 is horrendous ! Nobody buys them unless they are used as fleet vehicles for business use. That being said the Pentastar engine has been around along time. It's a good engine, just more suited for my mom or my wife than me.
Can you prove your gas mileage? That seems pretty high for the Hemi. Do you have a 4x4?

BigD

Reaction score
Can you prove your gas mileage? That seems pretty high for the Hemi. Do you have a 4x4?

Yes 4×4. I don't drive 80 mph like a lot of people on here. Keep it under 72 mph with the 3.92 gears & you'll be alright. When I got 23 mpg that was going to work in Wisconsin driving 130 miles a day on highways with speeds of 55-60 mph. I've got 1,500 miles on my truck so far & computer says I've averaged 19 mpg overall so far. I never reset my trip B since I bought it. That's a good mix of city & highway with me red lining it probably 1/2 dozen times so far.

BigD

Reaction score
The truth is I got a fantastic deal on a Limited but it came with the V6. I traded my 2017 Silverado in on it that only got 15 MPG so I figured I couldn't lose.
WIth all that said, I have zero regrets because the V6 has pulled me thru pretty nasty terrain in the back woods of Michigan with a bed full of gear and a 2,000 lb trailer. I'm talking mud and snow mix as well as hills. It just kept pulling and pulling when I though for sure we were gonna be stuck and stranded.
Believe me, I love the sound of the Hemi, but reading the bitching from my fellow Ram owners about the 9 MPG..............I gotta ask why? My truck is my commuter vehicle for 90% of the time anyway.
Again, I traded in my Silverado and only $15,000 for a sweet air ride truck with every conceivable option you could imagine and I also get 24 MPG on top of that!
So I didn't choose the V6, but based on performance, I can tell you I'll definitely get another one versus shelling out almost $3,000 for a Hemi. No offense to anybody, but It doesn't make any sense to me.
The 9 mpg is B.S. You've got to take into account most people on here have their trucks lifted & huge tires added on. That's why their milage sucks. I'm averaging 19 & i got the 3.92 gears !

EtherRam

Reaction score
I can't imagine driving a 2020 Ram 1500 4x4 Crew Cab with a V6 in it (let alone a 3.21 axle ratio).

I have the V6 4x4 Crew Cab with the 3.55 axle ratio. It's not a rocket ship, but it has enough power to not be frustrating. It definitely will pull if you punch it, but it can't compare to the Hemi. I'm happy with my V6 and the MPGs

BigD

Reaction score
I have the V6 4x4 Crew Cab with the 3.55 axle ratio. It's not a rocket ship, but it has enough power to not be frustrating. It definitely will pull if you punch it, but it can't compare to the Hemi. I'm happy with my V6 and the MPGs
I watched the TFL Truck videos on it. They had to rev the crap out of it to pull a trailer up hill. They had the pedal to the floor reving it over 6,000 RPM's

BigD

Reaction score
Nobody buys them except fleet? Totally disagree. And the argument regarding resale is not a valid one if you are trading a V6 to buy another V6.

Well they sure don't have many on the lot. 2 or 3 at the dealers I looked at. Trade in value is poor because they are hard to resell. Doesn't matter what u are purchasing. Dealers look at how much they can get for your trade & how long it will sit on their lot.

EtherRam

Reaction score
I watched the TFL Truck videos on it. They had to rev the crap out of it to pull a trailer up hill. They had the pedal to the floor reving it over 6,000 RPM's

Hahaha. I watched it too, and it was NOT an exciting video to watch. The 2.7L F150 pulled the same trailer no problem. The 3.6L definitely can't pull 7,500 pounds uphill consistently, but for 5,000-6,000 it's got plenty of power.

BigD

Reaction score
Hahaha. I watched it too, and it was NOT an exciting video to watch. The 2.7L F150 pulled the same trailer no problem. The 3.6L definitely can't pull 7,500 pounds uphill consistently, but for 5,000-6,000 it's got plenty of power.
Those Ford turbos are pretty sweet. I'd get one if I was going to trade it in after 4 years. Heard they get expensive to fix after 80,000 miles. Also Ford has to seriously step up their interior for the 2021 redesign

U

User_3336

That's where an EXTENDED WARRANTY comes in.

I just bought one for my Ram 1500 for $1,100 from Zeigler. Use promo code "PAYINFULL", and that chops $365 off the online price!!!

Those Ford turbos are pretty sweet. I'd get one if I was going to trade it in after 4 years. Heard they get expensive to fix after 80,000 miles. Also Ford has to seriously step up their interior for the 2021 redesign

KeithStone76

Reaction score
Well they sure don't have many on the lot. 2 or 3 at the dealers I looked at. Trade in value is poor because they are hard to resell. Doesn't matter what u are purchasing. Dealers look at how much they can get for your trade & how long it will sit on their lot.
I guess we'll agree to disagree. Besides these are vehicles, we aren't making profit on them.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
If it works for you then that’s all you need. No matter what others think, you buy for you. There is the resale and towing argument sure, however if you don’t tow, plan on keeping the truck for years and use it for what you do (primarily commute) then you chose well.
Eventually gas will go up to who knows what level, then you might be laughing. It wasn’t so long ago that $3-4 a gallon was the norm, and in Kali it likely will be again.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I had a 2.7 and it was very perky... always got me over 20 average, again I didn’t stoplight it and didn’t tow. They are aging just fine even with the twin-turbo questions on reliability. It's no slouch with 325 horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque.

Excerpt from motorreviewer.com: “Ford introduced the 2018 model year Ford F-150 with the second generation 2.7L EcoBoost V6 engine. The upgraded engine got a number of changes similar to the second gen 3.5 EcoBoost. The most important changes include the direct injection combined with port injection, a new high-pressure exhaust gas recirculation system (EGR), dual-chain camshaft drive system with new lightweight camshafts, new turbochargers with an electrically actuated wastegate, and an electronically controlled variable-displacement oil pump. Together with other small changes, including those aimed at friction reduction, new 2.7L V6 engines became more efficient and reliable than the previous generation.“ End of quote.

So yes, it’s a good motor. If Ford steps up with the interior refresh, unless they price themselves out of the market they will give RAM a run next year. Now if FCA/RAM will just give the hemi a 40+ hp power boost things will be just “ducky”.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
I know nothing about the V6 Ram. However that said educate me guys I was a Ford guy and had the 2.7 and 3.5 EcoBoost engines and they are quicker then the hemi off the line 1/8 mile run and get better gas mileage too.

I hear the hemi lovers (which I have now in my Rebel) saying the V6 resale value is less, I don't know how much I am buying into that.

Now I will agree the sound of the hemi is unmistakable, but you can change the muffler systems to make Ford V6 sound a little meaner.

If the Ram v6 is anything close to Fords 2.7 and 3.5 I think I would be a fan of it. So Ram v6 guys
sound off!
Coming from the 3.5 Ecoboost world myself, I can agree with everything you say about the quickness of their V6. The only thing I had an issue with was finding any aftermarket exhaust that didn't sound like a pissed off bumble bee. TBH first thing I did was removed the resonators on my 2015 and I loved the sound. MPG tanked and I learned about how important keeping back pressure was for the turbo engine. I added a CAI and my truck sounded amazing with that blow off of the turbo accentuated, but still wanted more. I realized that if I wanted to get a better exhaust note, I would have to go with a V8 truck. I have a Borla 40353 on the way and cannot wait to get that thing installed to let that Hemi sound even better. Funny, I was impressed with the stock sound until I got on here and started hearing sound clips of what my truck "could" sound like. All that said, the V6 Ram would have served every one of my needs if I could get around that exhaust preference.

OtterRam

Reaction score
My 6 feels like it gets better every oil change, just daily driving is now between 21-23 mpg. Recently I have been about 60/40 highway / around town. Maybe the Hemi and my driving patterns would be the same, maybe not.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

EtherRam

Reaction score
My 6 feels like it gets better every oil change, just daily driving is now between 21-23 mpg. Recently I have been about 60/40 highway / around town. Maybe the Hemi and my driving patterns would be the same, maybe not.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

I rarely see a Hemi owner claim they get 20+ mpg on anything other than highway. Usually 17-18 on a good day. I'm at 15,000 miles and sitting at 21-22 on my V6 over 50/50 driving. Really happy.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I rarely see a Hemi owner claim they get 20+ mpg on anything other than highway. Usually 17-18 on a good day. I'm at 15,000 miles and sitting at 21-22 on my V6 over 50/50 driving. Really happy.
If someone with a hemi thinks they are regularly getting 20+ in town, they’d better do hand calculations. Even as much “grandpa” driving as I do, I cannot average more than 17 city.
Now momentarily or for a few miles perhaps but certainly not on a couple hundred miles worth, much less a tankful.

Users who are viewing this thread