5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why did you choose the V6 over the hemi?

2020BigHorn

Reaction score
I noticed this v6 board is not very active. I’m not sure what kind of traction this post will get but I’m curious as to why everyone who bought the v6, did so. What do you use your truck for primarily? And do you regret not going with the hemi?

I did basically because i don’t need a v8 and this specific truck had some really good incentives. I noticed a lot of people on these forums seem to trash the v6 or don’t see a purpose to having it, but I like it. I needed something that had 6 seats for my family, has a bed, and can pull my flatbed trailer. I could have potentially gotten an SUV but there aren’t any incentives near what these trucks have, and i like having a truck. MPG wasn’t an issue because i know full size trucks get bad gas mileage regardless, so i didn’t care personally about that. I also live and work in a very rural area so i don’t have to deal with traffic in my commute to work, and on the highway i take to work this truck rides great and handles 70+ mph perfectly.

Slow&easy

Reaction score
I think you will find most of us who own the V6 trucks don't tend to mod our trucks much. So there isn't much to write about or tell about. I have owned 6 Ram trucks. 4 with Hemi's and 2 now with the 3.6 and 8spd. These trucks will do 95% of what people actually need, but most people want that extra power of a V8.
I get it, people want what they want and I have no issues with the V8 trucks. I just know at my age the V6 will do everything I want with better MPG.
Once you get some miles on your truck the mpg will get better. Mine started out at 19-20 average and now at 15K miles I average 22 mpg. I drive the same drive everyday so it's a real increase.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My brother in law had 2 V6 Rams and he did lots of hauling and towing with them ( I mean used them as a truck ) and he had no problems with them getting the job done .

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have no problem with those V6 engines, just needed power to cart my large butt around lol.

taz2016

Reaction score
After driving the Pentastar, I knew it would be capable of anything I had planned for it. With 3.55 gears it can tow 7500 lbs. or haul 1700 in the bed. I saw no reason to put up with the worse MPG that the Hemi would have. If I feel a need for speed I'll drive my C7 Corvette.
Unlike one comment above, I have done many mods/additions to my V6. I have added OEM running boards to make it easier for my wife and my 86 year old Dad to get into the truck. I have added an OEM bedstep, spray in liner, OEM bedrails, rubber bed mat, OEM led bed lights, hard tri-fold tonneau, OEM rear fender liners, Husky mud flaps, DU-HA underseat storage, B2 Fab Magnaflow muffler replacement, and much brighter led backup lights so far. I have also switched out the stock 18" Bighorn wheels and tires to polished OEM 20" wheels and tires. Waiting to be installed are OEM front tow hooks. After the tow hooks I am probably done unless I find an exhaust I like better.

rebel without a cause

Reaction score
I know nothing about Mopars V6 engines, I was a Ford guy. That said Fords 2.7 and 3.5 litre turbo's are great little engines. To be honest there not "little engines". They do everything that the 5.0 can do, minus the sound that the V8 has and do much better mpg's.

19jds76

Reaction score
OP, You bring up a very good point that I would like to highlight. "This board is not very active". The way I see it, this is a good sign. Go to other forums, heck, even this one for the v8 guys. Tons of complaints and issues that you don't see in this one. This makes me believe that the 3.6 is a good engine. I have had mine for almost a year and cannot say that I have ever been in a situation where the v6 wasn't enough engine to do all the towing and hauling jobs I need to do. Is it fast? Nope. But I didn't buy it to drag race. Monday through Friday it is my commute vehicle and with the etorque system I am getting the claimed 21 mpg as advertised, even in heavy city driving conditions. I get wanting to be able to tell everyone you drive a big v8 truck and there are those who just like the sound a v8 produces. Thats fine, but I think that if we are being honest with ourselves I'd be willing to bet 80% of us will have our needs met just fine with the v6 and will end up with a little extra in our pockets when it comes time to fill the tank. The cost of maintenance is also cheaper. For example, it only takes 5 quarts of oil to do an oil change. Less spark plugs to change etc. If operating cost and reliability are at all a concern for you the v6 deserves a serious look. So to answer the OP's question....... No regrets here.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with the V6 engine. It's fine. However, spending a little extra for the HEMI will more than pay off come trade in time. Just like most people don't buy V6's new, they also don't buy them used and therefore the resale value is much lower. Plus, let's face it, they just don't have the cool factor that the HEMI has!

Last edited:

KeithStone76

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with the V6 engine. It's fine. However, spending a little extra for the HEMI will more than pay off come trade in time. Just like most people don't buy V6's new, they also don't buy them used and therefore the resale value is much lower. Plus, let's face it, they just don't have the cool factor that the HEMI has!
But if you have a V6 and purchase another V6, in my opinion, the price is all relative.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

2020BigHorn

Reaction score
OP, You bring up a very good point that I would like to highlight. "This board is not very active". The way I see it, this is a good sign. Go to other forums, heck, even this one for the v8 guys. Tons of complaints and issues that you don't see in this one. This makes me believe that the 3.6 is a good engine. I have had mine for almost a year and cannot say that I have ever been in a situation where the v6 wasn't enough engine to do all the towing and hauling jobs I need to do. Is it fast? Nope. But I didn't buy it to drag race. Monday through Friday it is my commute vehicle and with the etorque system I am getting the claimed 21 mpg as advertised, even in heavy city driving conditions. I get wanting to be able to tell everyone you drive a big v8 truck and there are those who just like the sound a v8 produces. Thats fine, but I think that if we are being honest with ourselves I'd be willing to bet 80% of us will have our needs met just fine with the v6 and will end up with a little extra in our pockets when it comes time to fill the tank. The cost of maintenance is also cheaper. For example, it only takes 5 quarts of oil to do an oil change. Less spark plugs to change etc. If operating cost and reliability are at all a concern for you the v6 deserves a serious look. So to answer the OP's question....... No regrets here.

I agree, i don’t see a lot of complaints about this engine. I also have the pentastar in my town and country with well over 100,000 miles, and it’s still running strong.

I agree with your statements about getting the v6. Less for maintenance, less in the long run for gas, and as you stated, i will never need more engine than what i have based on what I’m gonna use it for.

I’ve realized between comments on here and talking to people in my rural town, that yes, many people do buy the v8 because they can, or just for show. I have no problem with that, and don’t look down on people who bought v8 trucks for that reason, but i personally didn’t need it so i went with the v6.

2020BigHorn

Reaction score

I agree with the cool factor of the Hemi lol. I see your point with resale too. In my case, this truck will be driven by me until it’s wheels fall off or until resale isn’t a concern, so I’m not concerned with the differences in value with the bigger engine, but it does seem a lot of people trade up every few years so it makes sense why they would get the v8.

OtterRam

Reaction score
I just needed a truck large enough to carry my family around, it gets better gas mileage and that’s really that.

I honestly never thought a full size truck could get 20-22 average miles per gallon, it’s amazing.

No regrets at all, my next will probably be another V6 unless the Hemi is cheap enough/major extra incentives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rebel without a cause

Reaction score
I know nothing about the V6 Ram. However that said educate me guys I was a Ford guy and had the 2.7 and 3.5 EcoBoost engines and they are quicker then the hemi off the line 1/8 mile run and get better gas mileage too.

I hear the hemi lovers (which I have now in my Rebel) saying the V6 resale value is less, I don't know how much I am buying into that.

Now I will agree the sound of the hemi is unmistakable, but you can change the muffler systems to make Ford V6 sound a little meaner.

If the Ram v6 is anything close to Fords 2.7 and 3.5 I think I would be a fan of it. So Ram v6 guys
sound off!

2020BigHorn

Reaction score
I wouldn't drive a 1500 with a minivan engine. Period.

I understand the hatred for vans, i only have one because i have kids, but this engine is used in two vans, possibly only one if VW doesn’t use it anymore. It’s in the challenger, charger, 300, wrangler, Durango, etc. so to call it a van engine is misleading. It’s used in a van but not designed for it.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
No problems with mine, it's just a bit overmatched by the sheer weight of my almost completely loaded Longhorn--the only two options I don't have are the 22s and/or the ORG.

As you can see from my sig, my fuel economy isn't great. My subdivision is on a main road with a routine speed of 55-60mph...I usually have to flog the engine to get up to speed quickly if there's any significant amount of traffic.

All that said, I'll bet I'd like the engine more if I had a lighter trim. When I turn my lease in in November 2021, I plan to get another Ram 1500, but I'll be looking at either the diesel or the theoretical 3.0T if it's out by then.

2020BigHorn

Reaction score
I know nothing about the V6 Ram. However that said educate me guys I was a Ford guy and had the 2.7 and 3.5 EcoBoost engines and they are quicker then the hemi off the line 1/8 mile run and get better gas mileage too.

I hear the hemi lovers (which I have now in my Rebel) saying the V6 resale value is less, I don't know how much I am buying into that.

Now I will agree the sound of the hemi is unmistakable, but you can change the muffler systems to make Ford V6 sound a little meaner.

If the Ram v6 is anything close to Fords 2.7 and 3.5 I think I would be a fan of it. So Ram v6 guys
sound off!

I’m not very familiar with the ford truck engines. I had a focus st which i loved the ecoboost it had, and i drove a fusion with the 2.5 4cyl, but that’s it. I personally like this engine but am not sure what i could compare it to. All i have to say is if Chrysler has kept this specific engine around for so long, it’s gotta be somewhat reliable, which i can personally attest to.

2020BigHorn

Reaction score
No problems with mine, it's just a bit overmatched by the sheer weight of my almost completely loaded Longhorn--the only two options I don't have are the 22s and/or the ORG.

As you can see from my sig, my fuel economy isn't great. My subdivision is on a main road with a routine speed of 55-60mph...I usually have to flog the engine to get up to speed quickly if there's any significant amount of traffic.

All that said, I'll bet I'd like the engine more if I had a lighter trim. When I turn my lease in in November 2021, I plan to get another Ram 1500, but I'll be looking at either the diesel or the theoretical 3.0T if it's out by then.

Yeah, from everything I’ve read, these engines don’t hit peak torque until high up in rpm. I’ve noticed that as well, so combined with the weight, i would agree with your statement.

CornTrucks

Reaction score
I got the V6 (in my 2019 Classic) because it was the lease special and it can run on flex fuel. We also don’t have hills so I can tow anything with a V6.

They got me and I couldn’t turn down a lease deal on a new 4x4 Warlock with no down payment and a net price (after the Ag Pack promotions) of ~$80 per month.

Users who are viewing this thread