5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why did you choose the V6 over the hemi?

JimD007

Reaction score
I got my truck with a V6 because it was cheaper, 300hp is enough, and I have a BMW convertible that will go faster in a straight line and especially around turns than trucks with a hemi. I kind of wanted to own 1 V8 in my life but I just didn't think it was necessary. So far I have changed the radio, put on side bars (my 12 inch tall dog doesn't need them nor do I but some people complained), and a soft tonneau.

My only regret is I've noticed a lot of shifting on the interstate. I haven't gone far in it yet but have driven to Rock Hill, SC a couple times, about 100 miles each way. I deliberately set the cruise on 65 last time because I left early and wanted to see what effect it had. I came back with the cruise on 70+ and got better mileage. The truck downshifted for hills less a little higher in the rpm range. But the elevation of rock hill is higher than the Columbia area where I live and that had an effect too. I need to do round trips both ways but I am not sure I can do 65 for that long.

I'm not sure if the hemi would shift less on the highway but if it does it would help mpg and also be less annoying. Part of the shifting is just the transmission has a lot of gears and wants the engine to turn the lowest rpm possible. There aren't big hills on the interstate between Columbia and Rock Hill SC. I think the V6 is just a little low on torque at slightly above idle speeds.

Hawk296

Reaction score
Just Picked up a 2020 bighorn north edition for my wife this week to replace her Pontiac Vibe AWD. With a 1 year old son and a Husky, we needed more room. We cross shopped all 3 row SUV options and liked several of them. We also checked out the full size truck market.

She liked how the new Ram felt more car like than the other truck options and with the much stronger incentives, started shopping accordingly. I was concerned about a DOHC V6 in A truck as the power characteristics typically favor high RPM Horsepower Over low RPM torque. I’ve driven different varients in jeeps and chargers and was concerned that the one size fits all mentality would be a poor choice in a 5000 lbs truck. After test driving one I was Pleasantly surprised. The gearing and powertrain calibration Combined with the new e-torque setup really work pretty well. It’s by no means a V8 but it’s definitely adequate depending on intended use.

With that, we were specifically shopping for a V6. It will be used 98% of the time on paved surface streets to run errands around town and general light duty city driving. On top of that she is very active in the local master gardener program so the ability to throw tools, trees, plants, soil and Fertilizer in the bed was ideal. We don’t tow, or even have space to park a trailer. If we do end up towing it’s going to be a small utility trailer or pop up camper. The cost difference from V6 to V8 allowed us to get all the options and creature comforts she wanted for a daily driver with the V6 And with better fuel mileage as well. The V8 would really be very under utilized. Obviously if we did a lot of towing or lived in an area with more rugged terrain it would be different.

So far she is thrilled with it. It has three times the horsepower as her previous vehicle and is faster as well, even compared to her old V8 first gen Durango She had back when we first met. It really does check all the boxes for the right price.

If we feel like having fun and making all the right noises, we just take the Mustang.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just needed a truck large enough to carry my family around, it gets better gas mileage and that’s really that.

I honestly never thought a full size truck could get 20-22 average miles per gallon, it’s amazing.

No regrets at all, my next will probably be another V6 unless the Hemi is cheap enough/major extra incentives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You don't have to have a V6 Penstar to achieve 20-22 MPG.
I have a V8 HEMI and I'm sitting at 20.9 MPG which is right in the sweet spot of the 20-22 MPG.
Now I do not have my foot in the engine but I have the extra power & towing capacity when needed.
The V8 and the 3.21 rear end make a good combination IMHO.
HEMI_AVG_MPG.jpeg

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I got my truck with a V6 because it was cheaper, 300hp is enough, and I have a BMW convertible that will go faster in a straight line and especially around turns than trucks with a hemi. I kind of wanted to own 1 V8 in my life but I just didn't think it was necessary. So far I have changed the radio, put on side bars (my 12 inch tall dog doesn't need them nor do I but some people complained), and a soft tonneau.

My only regret is I've noticed a lot of shifting on the interstate. I haven't gone far in it yet but have driven to Rock Hill, SC a couple times, about 100 miles each way. I deliberately set the cruise on 65 last time because I left early and wanted to see what effect it had. I came back with the cruise on 70+ and got better mileage. The truck downshifted for hills less a little higher in the rpm range. But the elevation of rock hill is higher than the Columbia area where I live and that had an effect too. I need to do round trips both ways but I am not sure I can do 65 for that long.

I'm not sure if the hemi would shift less on the highway but if it does it would help mpg and also be less annoying. Part of the shifting is just the transmission has a lot of gears and wants the engine to turn the lowest rpm possible. There aren't big hills on the interstate between Columbia and Rock Hill SC. I think the V6 is just a little low on torque at slightly above idle speeds.
I agree that the Pentstar shifts a lot more. My limited test drive between the 2 trucks (Laramie's with either the v6 or hemi, same 4x and 3.55 vs 3.21 gears on the trucks). I just couldn't deal with all the downshifting, and that was with an empty bed truck with 2 people.

Not knocking anyone's choice, I just didn't want another "can't get out of it's own way" type vehicle. That's all I've ever owned, and at 64 I decided I'd change. Now the 3.21 hemi is not a "barn burner" as compared to the 3.92 gears but it's soooo much better than, what was my last car, oh yea, the 2011 Prius. :unsure: :whistle:

KeithStone76

Reaction score
You don't have to have a V6 Penstar to achieve 20-22 MPG.
I have a V8 HEMI and I'm sitting at 20.9 MPG which is right in the sweet spot of the 20-22 MPG.
Now I do not have my foot in the engine but I have the extra power & towing capacity when needed.
The V8 and the 3.21 rear end make a good combination IMHO.
View attachment 50253
2wd or 4wd?

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had the 3.6L Pentastar in four different vehicles. 2012 Jeep Wrangler, 2014 Dodge Challenger, 2018 Jeep Wrangler, and 2020 Jeep Gladiator. It's an excellent engine. Very dependable, stone age simple to do oil changes on, and decent mileage in the upper teens.

Having said that, in a full size truck I think 260 lbs/ft of torque is just not enough. The reason guys say it shifts a lot is because there is no torque. Now imagine hooking onto a trailer with that.

How much is the Hemi option? $1,200? $1,500? Where else can you buy 58% more torque output for $1,500 bucks?

Hawk296

Reaction score
The V6 doesn’t have much torque. But it also has an 8 speed transmission (As does the V8)This Is what allows it to shift a lot to utilize proper gear ratios to keep it in the power band. Its doing what it’s designed to do.

I would hope if one bought it for the purpose of towing they would have purchased one of the other two engine options.

Smerberj

Reaction score
I went with the V6 because it was all I needed. With the 3.55 gearing and 8 speed this Pentastar is no joke. I get 21 combined mpg and only have 2100 miles on it. My Fathers 2016 EcoDiesel averages around 23 mpg combined. I don't tow and I don't street race so the V6 is plenty good for me.

JimD007

Reaction score
The 3.55 rear end may be a better choice for the V6 than my 3.21. Increasing the rpm a little will help it get up into more torque and allow less shifting. It also gives you about 2,500 lbs more tow rating. But I rarely carry anything and my combined mileage is nearly 21mpg. I kind of like having an excuse to keep my speed up on the highway.

NatGNJ

Reaction score
I own a Crew Cab V6 4x4. I chose the V6 for the mileage advantage (more highway than city for me). Generally, I am happy with the choice. The grunt around town is fine. I can say I only regret getting the V6 when strong acceleration is needed (highway merging, steeper hills). The V6 does well with hauling (payload). I have not used it for towing, but when I do it will probably only be 3000lbs or so (PWC).

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I have a Grand Cherokee Summit with the Pentastar V-6 it has been outstanding. I tested the Ram V-6 eTorque and loved it. That extra boost from a stop reminds me of my supercharged Range Rover. Its plenty to get you started and i'm always first when the light goes red to green. Now with all this being said, I regret not getting a Hemi eTorque. I could have gotten one slightly cheaper than my V6. I don't think the mpg's are much different.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a Grand Cherokee Summit with the Pentastar V-6 it has been outstanding. I tested the Ram V-6 eTorque and loved it. That extra boost from a stop reminds me of my supercharged Range Rover. Its plenty to get you started and i'm always first when the light goes red to green. Now with all this being said, I regret not getting a Hemi eTorque. I could have gotten one slightly cheaper than my V6. I don't think the mpg's are much different.
Mpg’s can be very different, check some of the fuelly’s. Most that are disappointed have 3.92 gears or lifts/big tires however I cannot say that the hemi is particularly “thrifty”. Now the folks that put a Pentstar in a Limited 4x CC may be pushing the engine a bit hard, don’t know anyone that has one but they are out there.

U

User_3336

FCA puts that V6 Pentastar in just about everything they make. Look at all the Jeep Models that have that engine in them. Its a proven engine.
I've had one of these engines in a RAM. Did I like it? It was "ok". I didn't do any towing, so it was a daily driver for me.

But for a full sized pickup, the $1500 investment in the HEMI was a no brainer this time around.

I can't imagine driving a 2020 Ram 1500 4x4 Crew Cab with a V6 in it (let alone a 3.21 axle ratio).

U

User_3336

I leased a Grand Cherokee Altitude Edition with the V6 in it. I hate it, and can't wait for this lease to be over.
This is a HEAVY vehicle, and this engines sometimes strains to get it going. It always revs high and seems like it
just suffers for power.

the V6 performed better in a truck than it does in the Grand Cherokee.

Of course, who wants to pay $75,000 for a Grand Cherokee with a Hemi in it, right?

BigD

Reaction score
I get 23 mpg highway with my 5.7 Hemi with etorque & 3.92 gears. I average 19 mpg slamming on the gas driving around the city. Gas is $1.50/gallon. Dirt cheap. I'd rather have the power whether I technically need it or not. Resale value on the V-6 is horrendous ! Nobody buys them unless they are used as fleet vehicles for business use. That being said the Pentastar engine has been around along time. It's a good engine, just more suited for my mom or my wife than me.

U

User_3336

Good points! Better to have it (more power/Hemi) if you need it (What's a $1500 difference gonna make at purchase?)

Resale Value is HORRIFIC on the V6 in a truck. Already experienced it.

The Pentastar is a good engine for the car end, and even the Jeep's (not a Grand Cherokee).

Often, there are a few more rebates that can be had with the HEMI Engine (this month there was $1,000 more),
so softened the blow on the $1495 option for the HEMI.

I get 23 mpg highway with my 5.7 Hemi with etorque & 3.92 gears. I average 19 mpg slamming on the gas driving around the city. Gas is $1.50/gallon. Dirt cheap. I'd rather have the power whether I technically need it or not. Resale value on the V-6 is horrendous ! Nobody buys them unless they are used as fleet vehicles for business use. That being said the Pentastar engine has been around along time. It's a good engine, just more suited for my mom or my wife than me.

U

User_3336

I just can't imagine a Crew Cab 4x4 with the V6 *AND* a 3.21 axle ratio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/