5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Did You Choose the EcoD over the Hemi E-Torque?

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have an etorque Limited and have never been happy with the way it drives. I feel it's lacking low end torque and this is why I'm considering reading on a diesel. Also the fuel mileage on the Hemi is pretty lousy and I have a light foot. My previous Jeep SRT with the 6.4L got better mileage than my ram.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For me.... I wanted to go back to a diesel. But don’t need a HD truck, looked at a few Cummins, but the limited I bought was less than a medium optioned Laramie 2500. So there’s that.

I wanted to see if I could still get ~20mpg with a lifted truck, instead of the 11-13 I was getting with the my old hemi truck.

And lastly, driving a lifted hemi truck, tired of having to constantly downshift all the time in the highway for any kind of grade. I mean even stock, you can’t climb any mild grade with a rebel without dropping them gears. So it will be nice to be able to lean into the pedal some and climb the grades without listening to the motor flare up all the time.

But the main reason was just simply because I wanted it. There’s no logical or monetary reasoning, they would support the hemi lol.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For me.... I wanted to go back to a diesel. But don’t need a HD truck, looked at a few Cummins, but the limited I bought was less than a medium optioned Laramie 2500. So there’s that.

I wanted to see if I could still get ~20mpg with a lifted truck, instead of the 11-13 I was getting with the my old hemi truck.

And lastly, driving a lifted hemi truck, tired of having to constantly downshift all the time in the highway for any kind of grade. I mean even stock, you can’t climb any mild grade with a rebel without dropping them gears. So it will be nice to be able to lean into the pedal some and climb the grades without listening to the motor flare up all the time.

But the main reason was just simply because I wanted it. There’s no logical or monetary reasoning, they would support the hemi lol.
Agreed. The downshifting on hills is annoying. My SRT would never do that and just chugged along in 8th gear. The 5.7 is a great engine no doubt, but it's getting long in the tooth. Something with a little more low end would be great.

tyresmoker

Reaction score
Agreed. The downshifting on hills is annoying. My SRT would never do that and just chugged along in 8th gear. The 5.7 is a great engine no doubt, but it's getting long in the tooth. Something with a little more low end would be great.
MDS on the gas engine was an absolute deal breaker for me. My '17 SRT GC had it, and it made the truck almost unbearable to drive on the highway. When I added 3" stainless exhaust, it made it even worse (no surprise). We would take my wifes '19 JLU on roadies because the SRT was so unbearable...
I took a 400+ mile road trip the other day, averaged 28mpg the whole trip at an average of 75mph. Best part....The silence!

Rhombus

Reaction score
I love the "regular" hemi, don't care for the e-torque. But, the real reason is, I've been in light diesels for a while, and I just like diesels. And didn't want to pay for a Cummins.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
MDS on the gas engine was an absolute deal breaker for me. My '17 SRT GC had it, and it made the truck almost unbearable to drive on the highway. When I added 3" stainless exhaust, it made it even worse (no surprise). We would take my wifes '19 JLU on roadies because the SRT was so unbearable...
I took a 400+ mile road trip the other day, averaged 28mpg the whole trip at an average of 75mph. Best part....The silence!
Agreed. The MDS on the 6.4 was horrible. Ram did a great job with the 5.7, you can't even tell it's on.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Hey those are legit reasons, you want the torque climbing hills and don’t care for the needless downshifting (even with 3.92’s). You’d like the diesel to see if the gen 3 is a good engine and all. Nothing wrong with that.
If I had a better budget I would have looked hard at a 20’ diesel 3.0 due to the redesign and the great highway mileage. Also, we’ve recently been talking about a 20-24’ travel trailer so...

Users who are viewing this thread