5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Did You Choose the EcoD over the Hemi E-Torque?

PotvinSux

Reaction score
Just trying to figure out the main reasons you chose the diesel over the e-torque. When doing the math, it's about a $3500 cost for the diesel over the e-torque with similar payload and towing on most models. The cost of diesel is about .40 cents more than regular. I do not tow, at least not yet, but drive over 15,000 miles a year and haul random things constantly.

With the higher mpg diesel, I would save about $400-500 per year in fuel costs, even with the higher cost for diesel. However, the initial upcharge for the engine would take me several years to recoup that cost. Please let me know if I'm looking at this correctly.

I should add that I'm looking at a Laramie, Crew, Long Bed, 33 Gallon Tank, Air Suspension. Being able to go 700 miles is appealing though...

Last edited:

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I decided to get the diesel over the hemi for the increased range while unloaded and while towing an enclosed trailer. I make several trips per year that are 3200km round trip. Averaging 40000km (24000miles) per year I figure it’ll take less than 2 years for me to recoup the costs.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just trying to figure out the main reasons you chose the diesel over the e-torque. When doing the math, it's about a $3500 cost for the diesel over the e-torque with similar payload and towing on most models. The cost of diesel is about .40 cents more than regular. I do not tow, at least not yet, but drive over 15,000 miles a year and haul random things constantly.

With the higher mpg diesel, I would save about $400-500 per year in fuel costs, even with the higher cost for diesel. However, the initial upcharge for the engine would take me several years to recoup that cost. Please let me know if I'm looking at this correctly.

I should add that I'm looking at a Laramie, Crew, Long Bed, 33 Gallon Tank, Air Suspension. Being able to go 700 miles is appealing though...

I only drove the ED twice but it drives really nice, the power comes on fast and strong. So in my case I would choose it just because it drives nice, sometimes it's not a math problem, just a preference where accepting the increase in cost is no different than (say) leather seats.

But my hemi is great too ;)

Rockman

Reaction score
I have had diesel 3/4 tons for many years.. it’s really about enjoying torque and low rpm shifts. I did buy a 2019 hemi and it was a great truck. If you are used to diesels and like the way they drive and shift get one. If it’s about the money you should choose the hemi..

Danny_TheHouseCook

Reaction score
Currently have the EcoDiesel Gen 1. Not a problem with it at all. Great fuel economy. Pulls my boat great as well. BUT...after the FCA emissions debacle and the ECM and TCM were reprogrammed its a totally different vehicle. I lost mileage. The truck doesn't like to wake up in the morning due to turbo lag. I had the hemi before and it was great too. For me, and traveling often, you can't beat the economy, range and power of the EcoDiesel. Sooo, my new truck is the Gen3 Longhorn. Moved up jus a little from my current BigHorn.

HST

Reaction score
I am a retired truck driver ,diesel mechanic, heavy equipment operator so have been around and worked on diesels most of my adult life . Bought my truck to cruise America .
As far as cost i dont like sunroofs and didnt get the split tailgate so that pretty much paid for the diesel upgrade. As far as the cost of up keep i do my own work and enjoy it.
Where else can you get a 7000 LB vehicle that gets 27 MPG on the highway and 21 MPG banging around town . Once banks releases a derringer tuner for it or pedal monster
it will be over 300 HP and over 500 LB of torque , i just like playing with diesel engines.

PotvinSux

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for their input.

Does anyone have the maintenance recommendations? I currently have a '15 Grand Cherokee with Hemi and know the associated costs with it, however, never owned a diesel and not sure what is different with regards to the usual things. Are we still talking around 10,000 mile oil changes? What about the fuel filter, etc?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oil changes will cost more with the diesel due to capacity. You also have DEF fluid which will need to be filled around the same time as your oil changes. I plan on doing fuel filter twice per year, but spec is 20000 miles or every other oil change.

Danny_TheHouseCook

Reaction score
Oil changes will cost more with the diesel due to capacity. You also have DEF fluid which will need to be filled around the same time as your oil changes. I plan on doing fuel filter twice per year, but spec is 20000 miles or every other oil change.
The EcoDiesel has an oil change gauge as well as a DEF gauge. Probably about twice a year for oil changes and DEF depending upon how much you drive. My cost typically runs about $120 for the oil change at the dealership. I get the DEF from Walmart (Walmart brand) about $7.50. My 2015 hasn't yet indicated it's due for any other maintenance but will show up around 60k miles. I won't have it anymore due to my new truck arriving in a couple weeks. I only have 52k on my 2015 EcoDiesel Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4. Bought it 3 days after it arrived on the dealership lot because it was a decked out model with leather Katskin seats in the color I was looking for.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
DEF is no big cost, just don't put any in your tank, LOL. The bigger thing (other than oil) is fuel filters and fuel quality. Some sites recommend fuel additives alot. Coming from the Ferd side, they have had fits with the Powerstrokes on fuels and filters, as well as various other p stroke related designs problems hopefully not found on the 3.0
The emissions controls choking the motors also doesn't help.

PotvinSux

Reaction score
DEF is no big cost, just don't put any in your tank, LOL. The bigger thing (other than oil) is fuel filters and fuel quality. Some sites recommend fuel additives alot. Coming from the Ferd side, they have had fits with the Powerstrokes on fuels and filters, as well as various other p stroke related designs problems hopefully not found on the 3.0
The emissions controls choking the motors also doesn't help.

It seems most EcoD owner's will change the fuel filters every other oil change. What are people paying for an oil change and fuel filter replacement? I'm assuming $250-$300?

I no longer do my own maintenance. No garage.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
It seems most EcoD owner's will change the fuel filters every other oil change. What are people paying for an oil change and fuel filter replacement? I'm assuming $250-$300?

I no longer do my own maintenance. No garage.
Slightly dated (from the 2015 ecodiesel forum): https://www.oildepot.ca/what-does-a-dodge-ecodiesel-oil-change-cost/

Dodge EcoDiesel Oil Change Prices In USA and Canada

United States (prices in US funds before taxes and environmental fees)

• Los Angeles $199.99
  • Phoenix $180.00
  • Denver $199.99
  • Chicago $200.00
  • New York City $169.99
  • Miami $185.00
  • Average $189.16
Canada (prices in Canadian funds before taxes and environmental fees)

• Vancouver $239.85
  • Edmonton $235.45
  • Regina $259.95
  • Winnipeg $250.00
  • Toronto $230.00
  • Halifax $260.00
  • Average $245.88

For a slightly newer 2017 price: https://www.ramforumz.com/threads/what-are-you-paying-for-ecodiesel-oil-changes-now.229588/
AJ73942
Registered

Joined May 31, 2016
229 Posts
Discussion Starter • #1 Jan 9, 2017
I watched this video recently where he talks about FCA dropping the price on the filter to about $30 and the Rotella oil being less expensive than the Euro-spec that they were using. It would follow that the oil changes would be less expensive. I found a dealer not too far away with a January special on EcoDiesel oil changes for $119.95 with coupon. I called my regular service dealer and asked what they were charging and was quoted $191.xx. I asked if they would match the special price and he said their filter prices had not come down and the $119.95 price was more than their cost. My BS detector was pegged out. What are you seeing for prices with the new spec oil?

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
It's for the previous generation of ecodiesel but for a nice detailed 3 yr experience review: YouTube video from Ram EcoDiesel Source
What Does a Ford Tech Think of the Dodge Ram After Three Years of Ownership?
•Mar 26, 2018

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
My opinion...If you are considering an ED to tow at "max capacity", you are looking at the wrong truck. Forget what the specs say, common sense says get a 3/4 or 1-ton if heavy trailering is the primary use.
Yeah, please let's not turn this thread into the other one that started getting nasty (towing questions often seems to) but the terms "max capacity" and "appropriate use of truck" don't necessarily go hand in hand.
When the RAM ad statements are: "The 2020 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel offers best-in-class diesel towing at 12,560 pounds. That number is also quite impressive because it's a whopping 2,560 pounds more than the outgoing EcoDiesel..." that brings up the payload questions. (Remember for a 5'er, pin weights are often 20% so 12,560 x .2 = 2,512.
Me thinks there ain't no RAM 1500 with that yellow sticker on the door jamb.

An interesting query might be comparing the available hp/tq and the tq curves of the 2 motors or something like that, but he asked what he asked.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why I went with Gen 3 EcoDiesel over Hemi:

- There is a HUGE difference between 410 lbs/ft @ 3,800 RPM and 480 lbs/ft @ 1,600 RPM.
- There is a HUGE difference between 24 real world mixed MPG and 15 real world mixed MPG.
- I wanted to try something different as I had grown tired of V8 pickups.

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why I went with Gen 3 EcoDiesel over Hemi:

- There is a HUGE difference between 410 lbs/ft @ 3,800 RPM and 480 lbs/ft @ 1,600 RPM.
- There is a HUGE difference between 24 real world mixed MPG and 15 real world mixed MPG.
- I wanted to try something different as I had grown tired of V8 pickups.
got that right

tlowc34

Reaction score
I've had the EcoDiesel for a week and love it. If you smash it to the floor (like trying to do a burnout) you can count to 2 before you feel any power. But if you roll it on (like you are trying to accelerate while towing a trailer to get on the highway) it scoots pretty well. I'm not a big fan of a 48v battery and the added wiring along with a potentially expensive alternator generator that only mildly improves fuel economy and low range torque. I don't tow often, but when I do tow, I tow close to the limit. With my 2018 Hemi the high RPMs were unnerving on long highway trips - so big improvement with the ED RPMs, plus the range and MPG. The one drawback is weak engine braking due to engine displacement, but in Michigan this is less of a concern as we're a pretty flat state.

Admittedly the ED isn't as sporty for darting through traffic as the Hemi, but I think it makes me a safer driver. I notice myself driving it more like I did my 77 2WD F250 460V8. Due to the horrible stopping distance, horrible gas mileage, tired suspension, and two wheel drive.

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I've had the EcoDiesel for a week and love it. If you smash it to the floor (like trying to do a burnout) you can count to 2 before you feel any power. But if you roll it on (like you are trying to accelerate while towing a trailer to get on the highway) it scoots pretty well. I'm not a big fan of a 48v battery and the added wiring along with a potentially expensive alternator generator that only mildly improves fuel economy and low range torque. I don't tow often, but when I do tow, I tow close to the limit. With my 2018 Hemi the high RPMs were unnerving on long highway trips - so big improvement with the ED RPMs, plus the range and MPG. The one drawback is weak engine braking due to engine displacement, but in Michigan this is less of a concern as we're a pretty flat state.

Admittedly the ED isn't as sporty for darting through traffic as the Hemi, but I think it makes me a safer driver. I notice myself driving it more like did my 77 2WD F250 460V8. Due to the horrible stopping distance, horrible gas mileage, tired suspension, and two wheel drive.
Good example of a person who actually needs the eco-diesel.
If a person bought one "just because", I think the additional maintenance costs will outweigh any fuel mileage gains, unless you put on a gazillion miles. Of course then your maintenance just keeps on going up too. It would be a hard call to make if a person rarely or ever tows, our current gas prices won't last forever but right now it makes even a thristy hemi bearable!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread