5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why did you choose Ram?

killerformula

Reaction score
I liked the interior as others have mentioned, but also I wanted a power plant that was tried and true. The 5.7 fit the bill for Me. Tested and reliable large displacement pushrod v8. Lots of history with that platform. I was not concerned with getting thr absolute best gas mileage or winning races. I figure if I was I wouldn't have bought a truck.

The only thing that did come close was the powerboost and diesel options because tbey are capable truck motors. I chose against the powerboost because I didn't like the idea of a v6 motor, 2 turbos, 12 injectors for 6 cylinders, a big battery and an electric motor under the hood. Too much stuff to wear out and go bad.

As for the diesel options, I came close on those but kept reading that by the time yoi figure in all the added maintenance you may be better off with a gas motor. So I stuck with what I know works in a half ton truck. A small block v8.

swing4terps

Reaction score
Simple. Because I wanted a green BTS edition.

Had a new gen Sierra SLE double cab. Got an exceptional deal on it. It was fine; wife mainly drove it. Wished it had more features. But we didn’t love the color (Satin Steel) as much as we did when we bought it on that cloudy day. And I don’t like chrome, which it had. But nothing forcing me to get rid of it. I think I still prefer exterior style of Sierra to Ram.

Was tired of the same old greys, black, white, red, etc. that every manu offers. Saw the 2021 BTSs were coming and knew I needed to have it. I ended up getting a unique truck, with a much better ride (night and day), and as said, far better interior.

Plan on keeping this one for the foreseeable future.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Simple. Because I wanted a green BTS edition.

Had a new gen Sierra SLE double cab. Got an exceptional deal on it. It was fine; wife mainly drove it. Wished it had more features. But we didn’t love the color (Satin Steel) as much as we did when we bought it on that cloudy day. And I don’t like chrome, which it had. But nothing forcing me to get rid of it. I think I still prefer exterior style of Sierra to Ram.

Was tired of the same old greys, black, white, red, etc. that every manu offers. Saw the 2021 BTSs were coming and knew I needed to have it. I ended up getting a unique truck, with a much better ride (night and day), and as said, far better interior.

Plan on keeping this one for the foreseeable future.
yep definitely unique, I have yet to run into another one around here and it gets complements all the time

fire23south

Reaction score
I've never owned a truck in my life but I've been a fan of dodge for a long time. I bought my first with the 2011 charger and that car has been my favorite for a long time. Then all my friends started buying trucks and I was still riding in my charger. Felt like I didn't need one with them having one. Lol. Then the 2019 body style came out and I told myself that this is going to be my first truck... Fast forward to 2022 and I finally pulled the trigger and became a truck man. Best decision I ever made.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
I'm still in my 2015 Nissan Frontier. Owned all of its 130,000mi and 7 years, and I plan to keep it for the wife and as a spare car. I've never really owned anything bigger. My family outgrew it. We needed something with more space, but I still needed an all-round work vehicle that is also good for long-haul family trips.

I tried searching for full-size SUVs, like the Expedition, Sequoia, Surburban, and Armada, but they're all ancient and get terrible fuel economy. They basically match the fuel economy of most pickup trucks, but the pickup trucks end up having the edge in capacity and price. I waited for the new Tundra and Sequoia to be announced, but they both failed to impress me with good fuel economy numbers. They went all-out with a hybrid twin turbo V6, yet they barely matched what most pickup trucks get without all the fancy Hybrid crap, so why bother?

The Ram EcoDiesel stood out because it has the best fuel economy possible and the largest tank available giving me the absolute longest range of any unmodified pickup truck on the market. That was my #1 factor. I was also drawn to the 5th gen because it actually seems like the truck is built around everyday life. Excellent features, good looks, luxurious ride. Something that I'll easily be putting 20,000mi on per year, especially for long road trips.

I configured the truck 100% around comfort and fuel economy. Laramie EcoDiesel 4x2 Crew 3.21 with 33gal tank.

I plan to take delivery in Early June, which works out because I have a 2,500mi road trip in July. I'll probably have 10k on it by 2023.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
First truck for me. I was and am still leery of it because it's an FCA vehicle and in my experience with them they're usually junk. That being said the RAM seemed like the nicest (interior and exterior) and the interior space is great for trekking the family around. My dad has a 21 and 08? and the older seems to have held up decently well so I thought I'd give the RAM a try. I think my second choice would've been a Titan. The Premier or Premium whatever the top trim is is pretty nice but the cab was just smaller and I've had very good luck with Nissan vehicles in the past.

Ros

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
After two Dakotas in a row (second being a 2002 I kept for 12 years and 115K no issue miles) I went the Jeep route - a used 2012 Grand Cherokee which turned into nightmare. I left it on a flatbed at the dealer in 2018 and traded it in at a loss on a 3 yr old Cherokee which left me under water.

With the insane increase in used car values from the pandemic, I was able to dump the 2015 Cherokee (not a bad little SUV, though) at a profit. I *REALLY* missed having a truck, so I went around to a bunch of dealers and looked at what was on the lots in 2021. Sticker shock took me away from Ford/GM so it was down to either a RAM 1500 or a Tacoma. The Tacoma Off Road was closest to my beloved Dakota in both size and performance (and laughably, interior) and the RAM was heads and shoulders better in ride, power, comfort, technology, payload, towing and Hemi sound. The only advantages the Tacoma had was price, it would fit in my garage, and ground clearance (important since in the winter I park on street where plows leave 6-10" of snow on the side of the road). The RAM won every other category important to me.

On Labor Day of 2021, I called a bunch of Toyota Dealers and pickings were slim on Tacoma Off Roads (i.e. NONE) and those that were in transit were going for $5K - $15K over invoice! The local RAM dealer had some Big Horns in stock and one was almost exactly how I'd have ordered one (only missing 33 gallon tank). With a Labor Day special on the RAM and the absurd dealer markups on the Tacoma, the price advantage Toyota had went poof. I now park in my driveway, carry a small shovel to dig out a parking spot at work, and am super happy I picked the larger, more powerful, more comfortable, and better riding RAM. Plus, I really did want to hear a V8 roar at least one more time before I kick the bucket or everything goes electric. :)

TTFD753

Reaction score
Always liked the exterior looks of the 2nd gen over the competition. Back then the interiors weren't anything to brag about. As long as it had a seat, radio, and power windows it felt like luxury. 96 Dodge Ram Sport was the 1st full size truck I have ever owned. Really liked the looks but it was a 2wd and back then our winters were worse than they are now. Never had an issue with it. Had a custom shop install a 4"/6" lowering kit (I was a 20 yr old with inheritance money to burn). Sold that then bought a 97 and put a 3" body + 5" BDS suspension kit on it. This was a daily driver so went through tires really fast. Next up was the 1st brand new truck which was a 2007 BigHorn. Bought straight off of the dealer lot. Do not remember much about this one. I only had it for 6 months. Bought it from a dealership that fired my (now ex) girlfriend's father so she was not happy with the purchase :ROFLMAO:. Sometime after that I bought a 2007 Silverado and the rear end grenaded going down the interstate. Had 11,000 miles on it. That was the deciding factor that the only truck I will ever own from here on out is a Ram. Custom ordered another BigHorn in April 2014. This is when the interior started to matter to me. Had to have the bucket seats, 8.4 radio, HomeLink, dial shifter, sliding rear window, and heated seats/wheel. Had that for four years until my son was born. Thought it would be a better idea to have a SUV for a family vehicle and a beater car for whoever was not hauling the kid around (which was me 80% of the time). I am 6'3" and 240lbs. I had to fit my big a** into a 2008 Lexus ES350. Finally got rid of that a couple weeks ago and bought the 2019 Laramie. Not my 1st color choice but the Delmonico Red along with the Chrome and Mountain Brown/Beige interior plus all of the options sold it for me. Only had 26,xxx miles on it so made the 5 hour trip to West Virginia to buy. Never had a single issue with any of the Rams that I have owned. I feel that Chevy and Ford are behind when it comes to the interior look/fit/finish.

The saying goes "If you do not turn around to look at your truck as you are walking away, you bought the wrong damn one". EVERY DAY I turn around. Hell, I even check on it in the garage before bedtime haha.

I I will try to find pics of the 96, 97, and 07. Attached is the 2014 and 2019.

Attachments

• 2014.jpg
    2014.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 2019Front.jpg
    2019Front.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 2019Side.jpg
    2019Side.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 36

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I needed a new truck to replace my old Nissan Titan. One that had a flat floor in the back seat for my dog, without all the BS in the way that tend to come with crew cab back seats these days like organizers and floor tie downs. That pretty much boiled me down to F150 or Ram, and Ram was a ridiculously better price point at the beginning of 2019 when I bought - like 6 or 7k better. Beyond that, liked the way the truck looked and it drove better than any 150 I had been in. So that was pretty much it. 3+ years later I still like the truck.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought a 2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn with the 3.6 liter V6 engine in February of 2014. I have put over 420,000 miles on it with no real problems at all during my ownership of this vehicle. So when it came time to replace it - Why would I consider anything else ???
I will say that during the last 2 years I stopped relying on the truck for my daily commute. I was leery of the reliability with all the miles on it, so for the last two years, I probably only put 10 or 12,000 of those miles. I did brakes twice, New tires 4 times plus the original set, plugs once, replaced radiator after 350,000 and a water hose about 30,000 miles later. That is about it. That truck doesn't owe me a penny.
Like I said.... why would I consider anything else ?
You only went through 5 sets of tires, including the OEMs, in 420k miles of driving? What kind of tires were you using? I've never been able to get more than 50k good miles out of a set of truck tires, even with religious rotating and using top-name brand tires, and I've done a lot of driving like you (over a million miles, but not all in the same vehicle :D).

I got my OEM Miata tires up to almost 100k - Bridgestones - but they were almost as bald as NASCAR slicks and the car was virtually undriveable on wet roads, and that car barely weighs 2k pounds with a 50/50 weight distribution.

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You only went through 5 sets of tires, including the OEMs, in 420k miles of driving? What kind of tires were you using? I've never been able to get more than 50k good miles out of a set of truck tires, even with religious rotating and using top-name brand tires, and I've done a lot of driving like you (over a million miles, but not all in the same vehicle :D).

I got my OEM Miata tires up to almost 100k - Bridgestones - but they were almost as bald as NASCAR slicks and the car was virtually undriveable on wet roads, and that car barely weighs 2k pounds with a 50/50 weight distribution.
Original tires were the Goodyear Wrangers. They were garbage. Every set after that was Cooper Discoverer AT3. The Coopers were definitely louder but I liked their look. My miles are 95 percent highway and usually off-hours. That means just a straight drive and not really any stop and go driving. Tires last long and brakes last even longer.

FYRSTIX

Reaction score
Started with a Mazda B2000 in 1987 because I needed a cheap ride ($7k new). Got used to the utility of a pickup and moved up in (mid) size with a Dakota in 1997. Had been thinking about replacing it for 5 years before I finally went all in with the 2020 Laramie beauty. That was an upsize again, but not for any real need to have anything bigger, it's just that full size trucks are a better value since there's so much competition in that space. I absolutely LOVE this truck. It has so much room, great tech, great comfort, great ride (way better than the Dakota). Even with a pretty well loaded Laramie, I might trade it in for a Limited next year for even more goodies.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
After making the mistake of trying to downsize from a '12 Titan to a '19 Canyon Denali I had to get back in a full size. By then, though, Nissan had ruined the Titan, The Tundra was and is the butt ugliest and I didn't want to ride around in a sterile beer can.

Seriously, the only real competitor Ram had with me was the Sierra Denali and after test driving both it wasn't even close. Good power, most comfortable and modern interior, best safety ratings, best ride, awesome storage and more than capable of hauling what I need hauled.

Last edited:

Terrible_One

Reaction score
Though I don't have a predisposition to FCA vehicles, it did help that I had 4 different SRT models: WK1 SRT8 Jeep, WK2 SRT Jeep, 300 SRT8 and a TrackHawk. I had zero issues with any of them, so I knew that the brand came a long way in quality and the Hemi motors are pretty bulletproof. Yes, I miss the TrackHawk the most.

timman01

Reaction score
I have owned various trucks over the years including Ford, Toyota, and Nissan and for some reason decided I didn't need a truck anymore so I bought a crossover SUV about five years ago. I liked it but realized there were too many times I needed/missed having a truck. So...I purchased my first Ram/Dodge truck last month. 2021 Laramie with 3K miles. I shopped a local used car dealership that specializes in low mileage vehicles from one to five years old and they have a large inventory of trucks to choose from. I checked out F150s, Silverado and Sierra 1500s and Ram 1500s.
After doing research, talking to other truck owners and taking test drives, I decided on the Ram Laramie. It's a beautiful truck inside and out. The Laramie trim package was in my price range and offered the best interior/exterior look and feel, it drove and handled better than the others and had more power with the 5.7 Hemi.
This is a daily driver (I work mostly from home so gas mileage isn't a top priority) and I've just crossed over the 4K mark on mileage. Love the truck so far and am very pleased with the purchase!

Users who are viewing this thread