5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why did you choose Ram?

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
interior,(Limited), and the unreal ride! Had to have it after a test ride.

puba08

Reaction score
On my third Ram. None of the other trucks give you what Ram does for the price point. My buddy got the Trail Boss LT and I really liked it but the power was lacking. The 6.2 trail boss was ridiculously priced. So I stayed with Ram and I’m very happy (minus a few features that would have been nice in a Big Horn).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

41magmag41

Reaction score
Was driving a 2014 toyota tacoma 4x4, off road, 147000 miles on her and only replaced the tires once. Went and looked at the 2019 tacoma and didnt like the confined interior or the lack of response on the v6. On the way home the wife suggested we stop at the ram dealer, told Jeff the salesman what I wanted and he said Ill be right back, drove out a 2019 flaming red bighorn with a lot of goodies on her, put a plate on her and was told to keep it for the night and he'd see me the next day. Red has been in the driveway ever since, now has 77100 miles on her and going strong, just love the hell out of her. My son went down to the dealer the next day and bought my tacoma, said at least he knew where it had been and had been taken care of.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Having a Charger RT at the time I was very familiar with the Hemi.. so when it came time for me to pick up a truck… the Ram was the obvious choice. Was a GM fan but the lack of progression and seemed like every new model Silverado got worse looking and the cheap plastic interior was a turn off. I had a budget and crossed shop Ram/GM/Ford.. best bang for the buck was Ram. Picked up a 14 ram express to use basically as my “work truck” aka my DD commuter since I usually work out of state most of the time needed the additional space that my Charger lacked. Trouble free except the normal wear/tear items (battery,tires). Had a 2500 Hemi tradesman work truck while I was working in Hawaii and that got my eying the 5th gens (originally I hated them) until I seen the sport trimmed trucks without all the chrome and loved how similar they was to the 4th gens but with improvements. Took two weeks off between the next job came home and dropped in at the dealer to schedule my oil change and decided to walk the lot.. welp they got me spotted my 2020 and knew I had to have one. Went and built a big horn online spec’d how I would want it without going overboard on the features keeping in mind “work truck “ mentality. Lack of factory leather had me thinking maybe I’ll go Laramie and keep the options to a minimal if I can get the dealer to get the price down to want I wanted it I might commit. I put Katzkin shortly after buying my 14 nothing wrong with it after all those years but wanted factory leather not someone pulling my new truck apart right away and the BTS non painted bumpers killed that idea. This was during Covid so the dealer was hurting to make sales.. I had my number in my mind basically MSRP of the Big Horn I built. Found one local even had a few out of state trucks I was looking at but the local dealer got me the price I wanted and slightly cheaper then the ones I had saved out of state so made the buying process easier.

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
I drove an F150 for 20 years. I sat in a new one at the dealer and despite the $65,000 price tag, it was boring. Stodgy. They tried to add a big screen like Ram but it was so poorly done it looks comical. It was a big boxy addition to the dash, and it's ugly.

Drove a Ram Rebel and immediately liked everything about it. Six months and almost 10,000 miles later, it's still fun to drive. I like getting in it every day.

For a variety of reasons, I didn't even consider the others.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We kind of backed into the Ram because we didn't plan on getting a truck--or anything at the time. We found a camper that checked all our boxes and was advised not to pull it with our Jeep GC ED so we started looking at 1/2 tons. Ruled out Chevy/GMC quickly solely because of how they looked. Though I much preferred the interior and exterior of the Ram, I might have considered the Ford for the EcoBoost hybrid, but since we really liked the ecodiesel in our Jeep and I could get a much better deal with Ram, we went that route. Thought about Toyota, but not very long. Never considered Nissan.

Now, in hindsight, I kick myself for waiting so long to get a truck--aside from our 1996 F-150 that's for "local" use only. These things are such swiss army knives in terms of utility. It's great for long distance travel with family (in our case substitute two beagles for children,) towing mid-sized campers, hauling, etc... It's not my daily driver but is still on pace for 10K miles in its first year.

akademik99

Reaction score
I chose my Limited Ram because of the giant screen and because it looked way better than a Chevy or Ford.

Swicago

Reaction score
Rear legroom was #1. With two grown teenage boys, the reclining rear seats and legroom is a plus. #2 how quite it is, like driving in a high end town car. #3 ride, so smooth and lots of power when you need it. Push that pedal and barely realize you're well over 80 🤣

fliptide

Reaction score
I wanted half ton diesel and after 20 years of gm, was ready for something different. Originally was going to go F150 powerstroke, but no stock, no special order with 3.0, and no discounts. Found Mark Dodge and pulled the trigger while still able to capitalize on high used truck market.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought it for the interior, ride, and it is one of the better looking half tons. I had a 2014 and it was flawless so when I wanted to upgrade from a quad cab to a crew cab I bought another one. Another thing is my local Ram dealer has actually been pretty good to me. I had issues over the years with other brands and other dealerships, its not just the Make but the dealership plays a role as well.

usedup

Reaction score
I had 4 F150's from '15-'18. So, when it was time to get a '19 I wanted to step up from a Platinum to a Limited, but Ford jacked up the price almost 6K when they put the H. O. 3.5 in the Limited. That was more ransom than I wanted to pay so I bought a '19 RAM Limited. Now I'm on my 4th RAM and we'll see when the '23's come out if Ford has their chip situation under control. Cross that bridge when we get to it.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
I was born and raised in a Chevy family and I loved every one of them I owned. I've always had trucks but decided to try a car fo a while. Had a tuned Audi A4 that was a ball of fun and got a million miles to the gallon. But it just... wasn't a truck. I decided to get back in one last fall and of course prices on everything are crazy. All the Chevy dealers local to me are still above sticker so that was out of the question. When I started to really look at prices I saw Ram were the only ones still running decent deals. I thought about ordering one but I didn't want to wait 4-6 months on a truck that might lose some options along the way because of the chip nonsense. I found a dealer semi local to me in KY that was running $7500 off sticker for in-stock Laramies. I test drove one and took it home that day. No regrets.

I still love the Chevy/GMC trucks, especially the new interiors minus the console shifter. I may go back one day. But for now my Ram is a great truck and I really like it.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
RAM chose me...after many Dodge Trucks, A couple ramchargers and a Plymouth Trailduster. (Unfortunately no pics of them since they predated the cell phone.)

I got my first W250 with the yellow PowerRam and have owned HeftyDuty RAM trucks ever since.

They treat me well and get me where I am going.

Attachments

• 0428001234.jpg
    0428001234.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 15
  • index.jpeg
    index.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20151002_130215~2.jpg
    20151002_130215~2.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20140424_123042.jpg
    20140424_123042.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 2018-02-13 11.22.44.jpg
    2018-02-13 11.22.44.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20190530_173158.jpg
    20190530_173158.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 15

Usmc041127

Reaction score
I went with a Ram because it was the nicest one on the market currently. Typically I would buy Toyota. Never have issues with them. But this is the first year if the new generation and I just don't like anything about the looks or interior. I love my Ram even though they can't figure out how to get the weather app to work. I only wish they have a more fuel efficient engine package that wasn't gutless. I hope one day you can pick what brand of engine you get like you could with road tractors.

Zebber

Reaction score
I chose Ram because I won't own anything except a Mopar. The Limited is my 10th new Dodge /Ram truck and every one has been trouble free (except for a couple recalls). The last non Mopar truck I had was a 1996 GMC that had 3 new engines put in under warranty. Took it in and traded on a 1998 Dodge SST and haven't had anything but Dodge /Ram since.

magnetized

Reaction score
Was a devout Chevy guy, owned an '01 2500HD and an 04 1500. Ran the 04 up to 260k miles with only a few minor problems/wear and tear and didn't even consider another brand when I replaced it in 15 with another 1500. That truck had the wonderful chevy shake since about 1000 miles, ate an A/C compressor at 36k, and had me living in fear of it dropping a lifter and doing $5k+ of engine damage (happened to a friend's dad). Decided to move on and tried all of the brands out at the time, though was leaning Ram from the start. Tundra was too old feeling for me, the titan had great power but I wasn't wowed with everything else, and a 5.0 F150 was my second favorite ($52k sticker for that XLT did not do it any favors though). Didn't bother with one of the GM twins because fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Ram test drive cemented it, so I ordered one, have about 7500 miles on my 21 now and am still pleased with my decision. I do miss the 04, they really knew how to build a solid truck back then. Shame it seems they have forgotten.

MO Rebel

Reaction score
Was a devout Chevy guy, owned an '01 2500HD and an 04 1500. Ran the 04 up to 260k miles with only a few minor problems/wear and tear and didn't even consider another brand when I replaced it in 15 with another 1500. That truck had the wonderful chevy shake since about 1000 miles, ate an A/C compressor at 36k, and had me living in fear of it dropping a lifter and doing $5k+ of engine damage (happened to a friend's dad). Decided to move on and tried all of the brands out at the time, though was leaning Ram from the start. Tundra was too old feeling for me, the titan had great power but I wasn't wowed with everything else, and a 5.0 F150 was my second favorite ($52k sticker for that XLT did not do it any favors though). Didn't bother with one of the GM twins because fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Ram test drive cemented it, so I ordered one, have about 7500 miles on my 21 now and am still pleased with my decision. I do miss the 04, they really knew how to build a solid truck back then. Shame it seems they have forgotten.

‘01 2500HD was my second favorite truck I ever had. That 6.0 sure was thirsty. 10 mpg empty or pulling 8,500 lbs. It had headers and catback and would scream at 5K rpms in 2nd gear pulling our TT up some 6% grades. Sold that truck with 190K on the clock and still running strong. That was definitely a good one.

BEA0B50C-8A37-49FC-8B5F-105C740231E5.png

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
Wasn’t in a rush and so I took the time to drive all of them over the span of a year or so. My friend had a 12 sport and I liked the interior, I asked him about it’s durability and he was happy with it. He’d put some rims and rubber on it and I loved the appearance.

I’m 5’6 and felt that it was more like a car, everything was in good proximity. I don’t like things for the brand or because it’s been a standard, I just like what I like. Well, that said, if it was a Hyundai I’d think twice.

Last edited:

LX Sport

Reaction score
I needed a new truck that could tow my track car better then the 01 Tundra I had. The Tundra has been in our family since new, dad bought it and I rode home with him the day he picked it up. I eventually got it many years later, but it wasnt my primary vehicle. It was only around for truck things and towing the car/open trailer.

I decided it was time to get something that tows better and can upgrade to a nicer, larger trailer. My work commute went from 60 to 30 miles, so I decided Id be ok with daily driving a truck now, but gas milage was still a concern. I also have 2 kids so needed something with room for the hole fam damily. Started shopping around, Chevy was immediately out, my opinion they are hideous and cheap feeling. I decided it was between a new '22 Tundra, F150 Lariant, or Ram Laramie. Kicked around the idea of going 2500 but didnt want to live with an HD as a daily. I liked the F150 for the towing ability of the 3.5 max tow. The Tundra was a wild card, I didnt mind the look unlike most, but was wary of the first year of a new gen, even more so when EVERYTHING is new. The unknown and the unattainability of the Tundra eventually removed that from contention. The F150, I'm more of a Ford guy then anything, but they look so boring, and dont seem nearly as nice overall, inside as and out, as the Ram. But it was a close 2nd.

But one of the biggest factors, outside of the fact I think the Ram is far more attractive looking inside and especially out, was the Gen3 EcoDiesel. With my longer commute, and towing the car, I really liked what I was learning about the Gen 3. Ultimately the EcoDiesel was the finally piece that tipped the scales towards the Ram. The F150 had a few options I wish the Ram had, but not enough to out weigh everything else that the Ram excels in.

So I placed a order back in January, because if Im buying a new truck, Im getting it exactly how I want, and Ive had it for a few weeks now and love every second of it so far. My F150 buddies give me a hard time cause its not as fast as their 3.5 ecoboosts, but who the hell really buys a truck because its fast. I have two foxbody Mustangs for that, dont need to be ghost racing at every light in my truck.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I don't have my '19 anymore (changing life circumstances late last year necessitated me switching to a 3 row SUV), but I'll likely be back in a truck when the lease on this is up in a few years.

When I was looking at trucks in 2018, I looked at all but the Tundra. The Tundra was just too old for me to consider. The GM twins were quickly eliminated due to their poor interiors, so it came down to the Ford and Ram. I'd actually settled on the Ford right before Ram announced the DT, then when I saw the DT, I jumped over to Ram in a heartbeat. Saw it in person at an auto show then placed an order for a Longhorn without having taken one for an actual test drive.

The 3.6 was the only downside--I wanted better fuel efficiency than the 5.7, but the 3.0 was unavailable then, so my only choice was the 3.6, which ended up being outmatched by the sheer heft of a loaded Longhorn.

Besides that it was fantastic. The high points for me were the pano roof, air suspension, phenomenal interior space, lush interior (so much better than what anyone else had in 2018!), and general truck usability. None of the things I needed it for truck stuff for came close to stressing the payload/towing limits for any of the trucks on the market, so that was effectively a non-entity as far as deciding factors went.

When my current SUV lease is up, I'll be checking out both the REPB and EV trucks, as long as Ram actually puts a viable powertrain in the former and not another 4xe powertrain.

Users who are viewing this thread