5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Are Short Trips Bad for the EcoDiesel?

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It will tell you for the 80% regen which most people never even reach because the passive and active regens prevent that from happening but once in a blue moon.
Interestingly, I've been hovering between 65-75% Soot level for a week doing only rural in-town driving (multiple daily short trips). The Gen3 is very good at passive regeneration.

Rossum

Reaction score
Considering 90% of vehicles sold in Europe (where this motor comes from) are diesel
That's a something of exaggeration. At one point, it was just over half, but it's well under that now.
And yes, European diesels operated primarily in the city often do have issues with clogged DPFs at fairly low mileage, although these issues tend to be a result of sensor problems; they'll fail to do the active regens that are needed to clear the DPF if there are problems with the differential pressure sensor or any of the EGT sensors, and problems with those sensors have been pretty common.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I swear I can smell the heat from my truck after it does a regen and I park it, the exhaust also makes a lot of noise cooling down afterwords like most stainless steel exhausts do.

I am now at just over 22000 km on my truck and have only gotten the “dpf filter is nearly full, drive at highway speeds for regen” message once during covid shut downs where I didn’t leave town for a week. It took about 7-8 minutes on the highway at 55mph to clear it up.
That’s good to know, I now have almost 10000km and never had such message, I travel 30km each way to work 4 times per week, and I live along a 80kph rural road 6km from town, I also park my truck in an insulated garage so the engine warms up quickly. I did several trips of 600km and 2 trips of 1500km, My oil life is at 40%, I will probably get 16000km oil life, running very efficiently! Best truck I have ever owned!

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I swear I can smell the heat from my truck after it does a regen and I park it, the exhaust also makes a lot of noise cooling down afterwords like most stainless steel exhausts do.
If you're smelling the heat and hearing the metal contracting then you're stopping and interrupting the regen mid cycle. I monitor my temps and try not to turn the engine off when the system is hot (900-1200°F). I almost always drive to finish the regen and get the exhaust and the turbo cool before I park the truck.

It would be eye opening for you to see just how hot the truck gets during regen and my belief is that it can't be good for the exhaust or the turbo to turn off the engine when things are that hot.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you're smelling the heat and hearing the metal contracting then you're stopping and interrupting the regen mid cycle. I monitor my temps and try not to turn the engine off when the system is hot (900-1200°F). I almost always drive to finish the regen and get the exhaust and the turbo cool before I park the truck.

It would be eye opening for you to see just how hot the truck gets during regen and my belief is that it can't be good for the exhaust or the turbo to turn off the engine when things are that hot.
Ya probably isn’t the best, but if the driver is unaware that the truck is performing a regen it is hard to tell.

I generally drive a lot of highway miles but with Covid my trips have been cut short lately.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score

900-1200F?? I’ve never seen this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At my temp gauges?.. Coolant, oil...

There a number of temperature measurement points in the drivetrain that truck does not display to the operator. EGT1 is turbo inlet temp, EGT 3 is just before the DPF, DPF Inlet temp is another and then various outlet temps that I don't monitor. To monitor those you would need a gauge or app snd read them off the OBDII port.

During regen your oil and coolant might go up a degree or two but that's all.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score

If it’s bad for the truck then why doesn’t the EVIC tell us it’s doing a regen. This is the kind of stuff that makes nervous about owning a diesel. We shouldn’t have to buy an after market product to tell us this information

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just think. You're taking your kids to a softball game, the truck is in the middle of a regen and your DPF is at 1300° and the turbo is at 800° when you turn off the engine after parking on the tall grass next to the field. The oil now sitting in your turbo is being "cooled", or more accurately cooked by the hot turbo and the DPF is toasting the grass.

I'm not saying that you have to monitor nor am I suggesting that you're foolish for not monitoring since probably 99.9% of people don't, I'm just trying to let you know what goes on behind the curtain. And besides all that, if your a techie it's interesting to have that amount of insight into your truck.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is the kind of stuff that makes nervous about owning a diesel. We shouldn’t have to buy an after market product to tell us this information
This statement sounds just like me back in 2015, but I grew to love the EcoD ;)

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There a number of temperature measurement points in the drivetrain that truck does not display to the operator. EGT1 is turbo inlet temp, EGT 3 is just before the DPF, DPF Inlet temp is another and then various outlet temps that I don't monitor. To monitor those you would need a gauge or app snd read them off the OBDII port.

During regen your oil and coolant might go up a degree or two but that's all.

Care to post some links on where to purchase these?.. I personally like the app suggestion

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Or this

Or this

» ScanGauge II

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love my ScanGauge II. I usually monitor DPF temp, turbo temp, soot load, and regen status. I always see exhaust temps when I shut down. It's never more than 500F when I pull into a parking spot... ever. But it's still good to know.

Rau

Reaction score
Something to share. I got this yesterday while driving my kids to taekwondo class. The speed was not exceeding 35 mph:
a829ef555fd7a2f5530753d701a63ffc.jpg

I left kids in the class and got back home (7 min drive) without turning the engine off and got this message:
7662cb7bf412ceadcd9cd6bfb7f80b12.jpg

I checked temp and showed this:
b0e42e066d5b6445c16933fe187f5783.jpg

I drove in neighborhood for another 10 min until message disappeared and temperature dropped to ~500 F.

This tells me that my truck can successfully do regen cycle at 35 MPH, right?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it can force a regen anytime it needs one by injecting extra fuel, but I also thought regens only occur at highway speeds.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With the Gen 2 you could finish your regen in your driveway if you kept the rpm up at 1500 or so.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Something to share. I got this yesterday while driving my kids to taekwondo class. The speed was not exceeding 35 mph:
a829ef555fd7a2f5530753d701a63ffc.jpg

I left kids in the class and got back home (7 min drive) without turning the engine off and got this message:
7662cb7bf412ceadcd9cd6bfb7f80b12.jpg

I checked temp and showed this:
b0e42e066d5b6445c16933fe187f5783.jpg

I drove in neighborhood for another 10 min until message disappeared and temperature dropped to ~500 F.

This tells me that my truck can successfully do regen cycle at 35 MPH, right?

Thanks for posting that info, I’ve never seen that on my truck, I must do enough highway trips to clear the filter.
I have almost 14k on my truck now.

Users who are viewing this thread