5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's removed their grille?

rsmeanie

Reaction score
I'm trying to remove the grill on my Limited to install some wiring and I'm stuck. I have the techCONNECT article on how to do it but it's lite on details. I'm stuck on the front corner fascia pieces. It says to pull and release from the clips but mine look like there are small bolts holding it to the steel fender from below. Any help would be appreciated.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm trying to remove the grill on my Limited to install some wiring and I'm stuck. I have the techCONNECT article on how to do it but it's lite on details. I'm stuck on the front corner fascia pieces. It says to pull and release from the clips but mine look like there are small bolts holding it to the steel fender from below. Any help would be appreciated.
It pulls out; its in there pretty good. I mangled one of the retainer clips taking mine out. The video is for a Rebel, which I think is a little different.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a BigHorn so it's slightly different, but probably similar enough. There is one screw and then a lot of clips. You need to remove, or at least loosen and pull back, the wheel well liner to access the one screw (it's either a 8mm or 10mm), then you need to pull up and out to release the clips. It's no joke. Good luck!

Check out these instructions from retroshop

Last edited:

Bo3liwe

Reaction score
Ok ?

Attachments

• Grille - Removal and Installation.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 76

rsmeanie

Reaction score
See if this might help.

Thanks for the video. It shows I can pull the fascia piece from the front near the grille instead of the fender side. I just need to get to the lower bolts on the grille so that may work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rsmeanie

Reaction score

I've seen that video but he only shows whats going on after the fact. I was hoping to find one of the actual process. I'm trying to release the clips holding onto the corner fascia pieces but I'm afraid to break something.

Bo3liwe

Reaction score
I open it already on dealer Because my ram have scratch on the chrome so they fix it to me And i see how to remove the grill Don't worry pull it more hard

rsmeanie

Reaction score
What a nightmare. I went to the dealer and two body shops and no one could help me. I went home and decided to just go for it. I ended up breaking one clip but the fascia piece is holding fine. Even after removing the six lower bolts, I still couldn’t completely remove the grille. I was only able to pull the top out enough to just get my arms in behind it. I got the wiring connected and everything put back together. I’ll never do that again.

57f0a69efc1e47bd2187e641eac254be.jpg

7502fb548e9b0740fcee45847906d32d.jpg

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ouch! What’s done is done..but there are more than 6 bolts! You need to remove the radiator cover and the header panel to access additional screws on the top of the grill. The clip that broke can actually probably be repaired, otherwise that fascia panel is never going to fit right.

rsmeanie

Reaction score
Ouch! What’s done is done..but there are more than 6 bolts! You need to remove the radiator cover and the header panel to access additional screws on the top of the grill. The clip that broke can actually probably be repaired, otherwise that fascia panel is never going to fit right.

I had already removed all of the top bolts. I was having issues getting to the bottom six.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had already removed all of the top bolts. I was having issues getting to the bottom six.

Ah. Got it. Those fascias definitely are a pain to get off. Ive had mine off three times now. First time, I thought for sure I was going to break a clip but luckily I didn't. Second and third times, they came off much easier.

WanderingRam

Reaction score
A little late but a few weeks ago I replaced my bumper and grille and felt like I'd break something if I pulled those corner pieces too hard. I found it was easier to drop the bumper first, then the 2 clips that you broke were easily freed with a flat head screwdriver. I didnt have to remove them completely as it gave me enough room to fit my socket wrench back there to get the 6 bolts.

rsmeanie

Reaction score
A little late but a few weeks ago I replaced my bumper and grille and felt like I'd break something if I pulled those corner pieces too hard. I found it was easier to drop the bumper first, then the 2 clips that you broke were easily freed with a flat head screwdriver. I didnt have to remove them completely as it gave me enough room to fit my socket wrench back there to get the 6 bolts.

I was ready to remove the bumper but I decided to try pulling one more time. It was way more difficult than it had to be.

jws350

Reaction score
I've seen that video but he only shows whats going on after the fact. I was hoping to find one of the actual process. I'm trying to release the clips holding onto the corner fascia pieces but I'm afraid to break something.
I performed the swap this past weekend. Here are a few things I ran into.

To remove the fascia below the headlights:
I used an interior trim remover tool and placed it between the inner fender brace where it meets the fascia.
I slowly worked side to side while slightly pulling the fascia down until I created a small gap.
I slid my hand in with my palm to the fascia and pushed lightly in and out.
I had the the fascia dislodged in under a minute with no problems.

The connection at the grill is much harder.
I was able to release the top clips but the bottom clips tore off the fascia.
I bonded new clips and reinstalled.
To safely remove, pull the fascia out as if it is hinged at the grill.
Remove the three bolts holding the grill on each side and remove the grill with the fascias attached.

Any questions regarding the remainder of the install, ask away.
It was actually a pretty easy install.

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 102
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 106
  • C.jpg
    C.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 106
  • D.jpg
    D.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Zilla

Reaction score
I performed the swap this past weekend. Here are a few things I ran into.

To remove the fascia below the headlights:
I used an interior trim remover tool and placed it between the inner fender brace where it meets the fascia.
I slowly worked side to side while slightly pulling the fascia down until I created a small gap.
I slid my hand in with my palm to the fascia and pushed lightly in and out.
I had the the fascia dislodged in under a minute with no problems.

The connection at the grill is much harder.
I was able to release the top clips but the bottom clips tore off the fascia.
I bonded new clips and reinstalled.
To safely remove, pull the fascia out as if it is hinged at the grill.
Remove the three bolts holding the grill on each side and remove the grill with the fascias attached.

Any questions regarding the remainder of the install, ask away.
It was actually a pretty easy install.
did change out your headlights? If so, where did you get them?

jws350

Reaction score
did change out your headlights? If so, where did you get them?
Yes, I changed the headlights and taillights. I purchased them from the Retroshop. A harness also needs to be purchased for the headlamps to operate correctly.
The tail lamps are plug and play. The headlamp swap is not difficult. The difficult part is removing the fascia's below the headlamps. If you decide to perform the swap, we can touch base and I can tell you the safe way to remove them. I also purchased the H11 cool white LED bulbs for the fog lamps. They are the closest to a factory LED bulb you can get. I also purchased these from Retroshop. I also replaced the bed lights and third brake light bulb with LED's. let me know if I can provide you any information.

jws350

Reaction score
I ran into this as well. Separating the fascias from the fenders is easy. Separating the fascia's from the fenders is easy. As for removing them from the grill, just pull the fascias as if they were on hinges and that will gain you access to the three bolts holding the grill in place. This way you can remove the grill and fascias together and not risk damaging the fascias as i did. let me know if you need more information.....Jim

Users who are viewing this thread