5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who else is waiting for the new tailgate?

Keemosabe

Reaction score
Checked out the GM multi function tailgate at the Philly Auto Show. Ehhhhh, had some functionality but gimmicky IMHO. Not really enthused about the mid seam Ram gate either. Ordered my Limited a week ago.
So here’s a tailgate idea......
Anybody remember the old Chevy Station wagon design, must have been 70’s, the gate powered down and under the car??? Lol. 7F7FDD95-EE21-479D-8566-092D64A081FB.jpeg 7F7FDD95-EE21-479D-8566-092D64A081FB.jpeg

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Checked out the GM multi function tailgate at the Philly Auto Show. Ehhhhh, had some functionality but gimmicky IMHO. Not really enthused about the mid seam Ram gate either. Ordered my Limited a week ago.
So here’s a tailgate idea......
Anybody remember the old Chevy Station wagon design, must have been 70’s, the gate powered down and under the car??? Lol. View attachment 16457 View attachment 16457
I don't remember that, but it's actually some pretty impressive packaging. The curved glass, too!

brewdad

Reaction score
Yup...waiting for the tailgate.
me too---and I figure the cost for the Rebel will only be $400 since the stand-alone $595 spray-in bed liner for the Rebel can be left unchecked because the ram box & split tailgate options include spray-in bed liner.

rlc2020

Reaction score
So does anyone have any idea how much a dealer would want to install and anti spin?
I'm assuming it still folds down as normal as well right? I remember being a kid and tailgating on the back of my parents Caprice Estate wagon. Huge tailgate that would fold down or swing open, kinda cool... 005.jpg download.jpg

dn325ci

Reaction score
I'm kind of indifferent on the new tailgate. I liked the loading advantage (less reaching) but they have priced it too high and I was surprised at the weight of this new tailgate at 75 lbs. That's a significant percentage of the 255 lb weight loss MY2019 - 2018.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm assuming it still folds down as normal as well right? I remember being a kid and tailgating on the back of my parents Caprice Estate wagon. Huge tailgate that would fold down or swing open, kinda cool... View attachment 16514 View attachment 16515
You’re probably right. They sure don’t make em like they used to (thankfully!!). That is the family truckster right there! Clark Griswold would be proud !!

CoachLarry

Reaction score
Absolutely waiting for the new tailgate. As a big guy, getting into the bed has always been tough for me. Having a big belly and trying to reach into the bed with the tailgate dropped, also tough. Being able to step up into the bed with the added step and get in closer to the bed by opening the 60/40 is definitely worth the wait for me long term, as I am not getting any younger and climbing into the bed was already an issue on my 2012 Longhorn. While the GMC tailgate is gimmicky it would have also been an option, but the inside of the Denali is not even in the same league as the 2019 Longhorn, IMO, so I'm waiting. Anyone know when it will even be an option for building and ordering? Was second quarter 2019 an estimated production date or when they would start hitting the lots?

JDBob35a

Reaction score
I don't like either of the new tailgates, RAM or GM, I think they are trouble waiting to happen and of no value to me personally.

yellowboy

Reaction score
Yes I am One waiting !! Who the heck cares about a seam -- you have them around every door ??

As soon as it comes up I will order a truck. For one thing if you pull a trailer you don't have to worry about damaging the gate on a trailer jack. Don't forget that price includes a spray in bed-liner.

trixdesigns

Reaction score
me too---and I figure the cost for the Rebel will only be $400 since the stand-alone $595 spray-in bed liner for the Rebel can be left unchecked because the ram box & split tailgate options include spray-in bed liner.

Don't forget you'll also need to include $995 for the RamBox option, from what I've read that's required for the new tailgate. I haven't been able to find any "official" word anywhere on the ramtrucks site on that though.

klail

Reaction score
I am a big fan of giving consumers options. I personally wouldn't get much use out of it as I hardly even use my truck for what it is anyways. Can't wait see how people use the new tailgate in the future.

dannydyn

Reaction score
Don't forget you'll also need to include $995 for the RamBox option, from what I've read that's required for the new tailgate. I haven't been able to find any "official" word anywhere on the ramtrucks site on that though.

But on the other hand, the new tailgate includes the spray-in bed.

Apexcars

Reaction score
The new GMC tailgate is probably great, if you don't have a trailer hitch. If you do and you drop the center section it will hit the hitch and dent your tailgate.

Chris

Reaction score
I haven't formed an opinion on it yet, mostly because I already have the truck and it can't be retrofitted on so it won't matter to me for at least a few years. However, I will be interested in the real world opinions on it once it gets out into the production trucks, as there isn't anything that I specifically dislike about it (other than being off center, which I would need to get used to) and it does appear rather useful and convenient. Those that have seen it in person have said the seam blends in with the tailgate on dark colored trucks, and isn't obvious unless you are close to it (similar to the door seams).

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online