5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

White paint discoloring

Rambruiser

Reaction score
2019 White bighorn with white bumpers and grille. Truck has 6k miles on it. Appears that, the White front fascia (plastic front end) is turning yellow...? Definitely not the same shade as the body of the truck. Anyone with similar issues?

Magredvet

Reaction score
Had my truck for 6 months, finally got it clean this weekend after all the bad weather here, and the front bumper is definitely a slightly different shade of white than the rest of the truck. (Ivory tricoat pearl)
I'm going to mention it when I take it back for service, though I doubt they'll do anything, as so far service has been p@ss poor.
I've had Rams since 2001, and I am really beginning to regret buying this one....what one earth has happened to the quality of these things ?

Rambruiser

Reaction score
Had my truck for 6 months, finally got it clean this weekend after all the bad weather here, and the front bumper is definitely a slightly different shade of white than the rest of the truck. (Ivory tricoat pearl)
I'm going to mention it when I take it back for service, though I doubt they'll do anything, as so far service has been p@ss poor.
I've had Rams since 2001, and I am really beginning to regret buying this one....what one earth has happened to the quality of these things ?
Just picked up mine from the dealer, after getting most of the “known issues” remedied (noise cancelling “booming sound” issue, D-side heated mirror turning amber, rearview camera not working, also a “known issue”. Still waiting for leather steering wheel swap, due to heated coils fraying leather..lol)
My shop adviser confirmed that, they’ve seen this issue. In the matter of fact, I am the second case here in Seattle. Only happens on White paint. The shop is going back and forth with Chrysler on this as, in order to get it repainted, they will have to blend the bumper, the entire grille, hood and fenders. No guaranty either. My truck is Solid White so, I don’t think I’ll need to get it blended entirely.
I happen to have some exp with paint and such. Thinking that, yellowing of paint has to do with chemicals or “gases” being released from plastic after getting them “out of the oven”. Not enough curing time prior to putting paint on them. That or, not having sufficient primer laid down on the plastic. Or, just a chemical reaction between plastic and primer. Either way, I am 6 days into shop visits. Need another 24 to file..... (working with 3 different attorneys. At this point, I want out)

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
2019 White bighorn with white bumpers and grille. Truck has 6k miles on it. Appears that, the White front fascia (plastic front end) is turning yellow...? Definitely not the same shade as the body of the truck. Anyone with similar issues?
No yellow color but my rear bumper doesn’t seem like it was ever painted all the way even. Look at yours and tell me if you agree. For mine, it is the surface that faces the sky and wraps around the truck on the left and right sides of the vehicle. Looks blotchy. Such thin clear coats on these things, too. I had 6 significant paint chips on the front end within 600 miles. Clear coat should protect that from happening so soon. Like 80,000 miles soon lol

Rambruiser

Reaction score
Here is the latest on my truck: (paint related)
Talked to two different RAM dealerships and both told me that, FCA is very tough to work with when it comes to body and paint in general. Most of the time, they will deny the claim. It’s always up to a single FCA local rep to make the decision by the way. I live in Seattle so in my case, it’s going to be “Chris”....
Sounds like FCA isn’t very good at honoring their warranty? I had an independent shop give me an estimate to get everything blended in. The quote came in at 2200 and change. Not exactly cheap.
I am going to give “Chris” about a week to contact me and go from there. Otherwise, I am going to hire an attorney and go the legal route. In addition, i a have already contacted a Lemon Law attorney because of unfixable Active noise cancelling system. In process of submitting the paperwork on that right now. Lots of fun......
take a look at the images, hopefully the yellowing will be visible.
@RamCares i have a second case open, it is 59383422.

Attachments

• 278B9F9A-C984-4EAA-92D2-8CADD474C9D1.jpeg
    278B9F9A-C984-4EAA-92D2-8CADD474C9D1.jpeg
    275.3 KB · Views: 153
  • EC8B8FB1-C798-4514-9FD5-C494BD17FBBB.jpeg
    EC8B8FB1-C798-4514-9FD5-C494BD17FBBB.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 155
  • DFF145AE-307B-48EA-B48B-402664DA41D3.jpeg
    DFF145AE-307B-48EA-B48B-402664DA41D3.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 155
  • B2D1990A-7FE9-4365-B98A-FCB1ED7826AC.jpeg
    B2D1990A-7FE9-4365-B98A-FCB1ED7826AC.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 155

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just reading this from the other thread. Man, you got yourself a dud! This is kind of how my 14 ecodiesel was, cracked paint with rust under it on fenders, busted motor, etc.

Good luck with your future battle with them, it sucks.

FWIW, what I ended up doing is going back to dealership, talking to the GM (not the sales manager), explaining the situation, told him I would take a 25 cent hit per mile on the truck, asked for what I paid for it as my trade - mileage fee and that I would buy a second new truck from them. And They did it so I bought a second truck that was perfectly fine.

Reaction score
Talked to two different RAM dealerships and both told me that, FCA is very tough to work with when it comes to body and paint in general. Most of the time, they will deny the claim. It’s always up to a single FCA local rep to make the decision by the way. I live in Seattle so in my case, it’s going to be “Chris”....
Sounds like FCA isn’t very good at honoring their warranty? I had an independent shop give me an estimate to get everything blended in. The quote came in at 2200 and change. Not exactly cheap.
I am going to give “Chris” about a week to contact me and go from there. Otherwise, I am going to hire an attorney and go the legal route. In addition, i a have already contacted a Lemon Law attorney because of unfixable Active noise cancelling system. In process of submitting the paperwork on that right now. Lots of fun......
They still won't even attempt to fix my ANC problems. Rams customer service is horrible

bbbeeennnjjjeee

Reaction score

I don't know what else has gone on with your truck but at least in this one respect with paint, you're not alone, it's par for the course, and a lot of other brands have non-frame post assembled parts that don't match worth a ****. You're not going to get anywhere on that one and you should save your money. At good autobody shops it's actually part of the rundown upon receiving a car to point out to the owner that the crap don't match.

I can tell you with a good deal of confidence that it isn't yellowing though - you just noticed it now is all. My white pearlcoat has looked like that since day 1. TSA paint is amber by nature and you really only can tell when you have a higher mil build (like on bumpers and grille pieces) to protect those pieces. You'd never notice it on a black car but the color value shift happens there too just the same.

For what it's worth, the clear on the bumper is a better quality and is harder than any clear a body shop is going to use as a repair after squaring up the two colors. Enjoy the truck and don't stress about the tiny ****. You can't see it from the driver's seat.

Skud

Reaction score
So, I'm experiencing the same thing. RAM has denied warranty coverage for fixing this because they said that there is no visible difference. The body shop said they "wiped it down with a microfiber cloth and put it under high intensity lights." Currently working with RAM customer support but not getting anywhere. I sent these exact pictures and was only told, by RAM customer support, that "As the paint concern is not technical defect, it would not be covered under warranty."

So, now I have:
- Vibrating at 60 mph - "shop can't reproduce/it's a known issue with your Blizzaks". Even though I've been complaining about this for months with the stock wheels/tires.
- Ramboxes warping/not aligned - waiting for the tool that bends the latch. They already screwed up the alignment trying to fix.
- A lot of interior road noise from the back seat - shop says they fixed it last time, not fixed.

I mean, with all the body/paint issues I would *seriously* think that this vehicle had been in an accident had I not purchased it brand new.

Riley

Attachments

• IMG_0974.jpg
    IMG_0974.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0972.jpg
    IMG_0972.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 39

Users who are viewing this thread