5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

White Knuckle vs Rocky Road Outfitters

WhiskeyRebel3

Reaction score
Trying to choose which rocksliders to go with and I just can’t decide. I would want to add the full top plate. With that said I think I like the look of the white knuckle sliders better, but of course they cost more. Any thoughts?

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
I just took a look at the RRO sliders. I have the WK, and though I'm extremely pleased with my purchase, I'd probably go with the RRO.
  • Pros
    • RRO are much less expensive, even for full cover (but if weight is an issue, you might consider just the rear section covered).
    • RRO appear to be much easier to install. It took me and 3 friends a couple hours to get my WKs on.
  • Cons
    • I don't quite understand the bolt-on procedure they're using, and don't see (but didn't look too hard) install instructions on their website). It looks (from the video) like they bolt through the frame, rather than around it. WK uses a bolt/plate sandwich design to attach the sliders to the frame, creating a very large attachment surface area to the frame with little risk of damage. 6 plates and 12 bolts on each side for the WK. Not sure if that matters unless you're getting real serious, but if you're even considering either of these instead of the mall-crawler side steps, it's something to think about.
    • For me, they don't have a Quad Cab option, but that might not apply to you. Neither did Randy Ellis with their pinch weld sliders, which I would have preferred (check those out if you haven't; they're low profile and very cool). WK was the company that worked with me on the QC.
    • I also like the look of the WKs better, but not enough to sway me one way or the other.
What's the weight of the RROs? The WKs I have (QC, so a little longer and heavier) are about 230 lbs for the set; they're beefy.

Shifts and Grins (click the ad in the site vendor section on the right if you're on the web) also makes a set and offer a 20 degree kick-up which I think is super cool. One more to consider, and the dimple dye top cover is a neat alternative for a finish. I don't know how the install is on those, though. @Shifts And Grins Fab might weigh in. :)

Basically, if you make the assumption that they're all going to work as advertised, choosing price and ease of install would be my driving decision-makers. Any way you do it, you're probably gonna be happy with it.

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
Huh, I also just looked at the WK website for the first time in a year since I ordered mine, and they have changed the top plate from diamond to dimple-dye. S&G was definitely doing that before they were. Less of a style discriminator now.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
We stopped making ours. Price of steel is too high to offer at a decent price and still make money. It just wasn’t the best use of our time. We will go back to making them but will make a design change for mounting. Ours were very difficult to install especially with a 33 gallon tank. Ours were thoroughly tested for durability by one of our clusters and held up amazing. For the average person, frame mounted isn’t the best option in my opinion. They are harder to install, super heavy and can be prone to making noise with frame flex. If the truck is going to be used hard, frame mounted is a great option. Most aren’t using these trucks super hard though. We will be back with a hybrid design that won’t disappoint even those that use the sliders as a slider.

WhiskeyRebel3

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys!

@RockYacht2020 the RRO’s are definitely less expensive yet I feel they would perform at the same level and serve their purpose just fine. Weight is not a concern but I do like the look of just the kicker with the top plate so that may be an option. But a video or their instructions for the bolt on process would be nice to see ahead of time. For reference, my rebel is the crew cab with the 5’7” bed and 26 gallon tank.

@Shifts And Grins Fab in my search for sliders, I did notice that it guys weren’t making them anymore, but you sure do offer plenty of other cool stuff that I want to add on in the near future.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys!

@RockYacht2020 the RRO’s are definitely less expensive yet I feel they would perform at the same level and serve their purpose just fine. Weight is not a concern but I do like the look of just the kicker with the top plate so that may be an option. But a video or their instructions for the bolt on process would be nice to see ahead of time. For reference, my rebel is the crew cab with the 5’7” bed and 26 gallon tank.

@Shifts And Grins Fab in my search for sliders, I did notice that it guys weren’t making them anymore, but you sure do offer plenty of other cool stuff that I want to add on in the near future.
I appreciate it. We have plenty more coming. Ran into a situation where I had to find a new CAD guy which has put us behind on several planned releases. We have items I have built by hand and need to get into CAD but the last guy wasn't getting stuff done. We have a new guy no so things should start moving in the new product area again.

WhiskeyRebel3

Reaction score
I appreciate it. We have plenty more coming. Ran into a situation where I had to find a new CAD guy which has put us behind on several planned releases. We have items I have built by hand and need to get into CAD but the last guy wasn't getting stuff done. We have a new guy no so things should start moving in the new product area again.
That’s awesome. Excited to see what else you guys come up with.

jent

Reaction score
@WhiskeyRebel3 Have you made your decision? If not I have both sliders currently in my possession, so I can answer any questions and provide my perspective between them. After this weekend I will have had experience fitting both sets of sliders to my truck (hopefully).

thekeithlane

Reaction score
Are there other options for sliders?

I owned WK sliders for my previous vehicle, an Xterra pro-4x. The install was easy, they were awesome and saved my truck a couple times.

I was looking through 5th gen pages and saw something in a side step page that claimed to offer "slider protection"

This Go Rhino claims to be for a serious off-roader and shipping weight is only 61 lbs (if that's accurate). Anything to verify that?

Thanks,
Keith

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
Are there other options for sliders?

I owned WK sliders for my previous vehicle, an Xterra pro-4x. The install was easy, they were awesome and saved my truck a couple times.

I was looking through 5th gen pages and saw something in a side step page that claimed to offer "slider protection"

This Go Rhino claims to be for a serious off-roader and shipping weight is only 61 lbs (if that's accurate). Anything to verify that?

Thanks,
Keith
I wouldn't want to drop my truck onto those any more than the factory set. They use the same mine threaded m8 bolts set into the rocker panel that the factory ones use, not attached to the frame like the WK. I would bet money (certainly the cost delta between those and the WKs) those Go Rhinos won't support the weight of the truck. I could be wrong, too. That's just my gut feel.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

WhiskeyRebel3

Reaction score
@WhiskeyRebel3 Have you made your decision? If not I have both sliders currently in my possession, so I can answer any questions and provide my perspective between them. After this weekend I will have had experience fitting both sets of sliders to my truck (hopefully).
Hadn’t been on the site in a while, just seeing your response. I am going with the rocky road kicker sliders. Spoke with them on the phone about install. Looks like they attach to the rocket panel. I’ve seen videos on their instagram that show vehicles sliding or brushing up on rocks and they look like they hold up just fine.

The guy at rocky road said each slider weighs about 60-65lbs vs WK 105-115lbs.

Have you got either sliders on your truck yet? Which ones do you prefer? RRO install seems significantly easier than WK. Does the RRO hardware include different bolts to use on the rocker panel, or use the existing bolts? Not sure exactly how I’d swap them if they are different.

WhiskeyRebel3

Reaction score
I wouldn't want to drop my truck onto those any more than the factory set. They use the same mine threaded m8 bolts set into the rocker panel that the factory ones use, not attached to the frame like the WK. I would bet money (certainly the cost delta between those and the WKs) those Go Rhinos won't support the weight of the truck. I could be wrong, too. That's just my gut feel.

You might be right about that. I don’t know anything about those gorhino side steps that @thekeithlane shared but rocky road has demos on their website lifting the truck with a fork lift like WK does. I’ve seen a few videos on their instagram of other vehicles with their sliders installed going over rocks. Looks like they hold up just fine.

I don’t plan on doing any aggressive rock crawling. So having what looks like extra protection but still getting a running board that saves considerable install time seems like it should work for what I need.

Gander

Reaction score
@WhiskeyRebel3 Curious how it goes for you, can you keep me updated on how you like the RRO?

I've got a new 22 rebel gt night and Im looking to get some sliders too, and I can't get over how horrendous the design of the WK website is - specifically viewing pictures of the product. I get that they're making parts out of steel and not web designers, but I just ... can't. The RRO look 'cleaner' overall to me from what I can see construction wise. Maybe Jent can offer a comparison of overall opinion on build quality and general assessment of their 'strength' since he's got them in hand!

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
correct me if im a wrong but the ones that weight more sound like they are better suited for off road ? … also do you guys leave the sliders on all the time or install when off roading

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
correct me if im a wrong but the ones that weight more sound like they are better suited for off road ? … also do you guys leave the sliders on all the time or install when off roading
I would agree with your assessment. Basically the extra weight is beefier tubing and brackets running to the frame instead of using the step posts. And if you got the ones that attach to the frame, it would be way too much of a PITA to install and uninstall on even an irregular basis.

WhiskeyRebel3

Reaction score
@WhiskeyRebel3 Curious how it goes for you, can you keep me updated on how you like the RRO?

I've got a new 22 rebel gt night and Im looking to get some sliders too, and I can't get over how horrendous the design of the WK website is - specifically viewing pictures of the product. I get that they're making parts out of steel and not web designers, but I just ... can't. The RRO look 'cleaner' overall to me from what I can see construction wise. Maybe Jent can offer a comparison of overall opinion on build quality and general assessment of their 'strength' since he's got them in hand!
Yeah I’ll let you know how it goes. I’m gonna place an order for them on Monday. I was disappointed with both WK and RRO website for the same reasons. Lack of pictures and videos, etc. It seemed like they could do a better job. I really like vice designs website and the videos they provide on install of their bumpers. That’s how it should be.

I agree with @RockYacht2020 that heavier should be better. Also that taking them off and on is unlikely even with the RRO being attached to the rocker panel. Just seems like a lot of work, and storage. I’ll take my chances with RRO. I think it will be a good product for what I’m looking for.

jent

Reaction score
Hadn’t been on the site in a while, just seeing your response. I am going with the rocky road kicker sliders. Spoke with them on the phone about install. Looks like they attach to the rocket panel. I’ve seen videos on their instagram that show vehicles sliding or brushing up on rocks and they look like they hold up just fine.

The guy at rocky road said each slider weighs about 60-65lbs vs WK 105-115lbs.

Have you got either sliders on your truck yet? Which ones do you prefer? RRO install seems significantly easier than WK. Does the RRO hardware include different bolts to use on the rocker panel, or use the existing bolts? Not sure exactly how I’d swap them if they are different.

I installed both on my truck, and technically have both on hand in case anyone wants any photos. Since it sounds like there is a lot of interest on this thread let me summarize my experience. Granted this is with the ecodiesel, so YMMV with the hemi

WK:
I first ordered the WK set, recognizing they were heavier. I felt like a frame mounted slider was the stronger, better design. Unfortunately their "115LB" quoted weight was total BS, mine were closer to 150lb per slider. Installation was quite difficult because there is a lot attached to the vehicle frame. This all needed to be moved awkwardly in order to fit the brackets.

What ultimately made me take them off and instead order the RRO was that no matter how hard I worked I could not prevent the brackets from colliding with the body of the truck. It was a frustrating sound and I know it would only wear the truck body. I worked with the WK support and sent lots of detailed photos. Ultimately they provided me a full refund and said that my truck was somehow non-standard. Their customer support was fantastic, but I believe the design is flawed (at least for the ecodiesel). I also am unsure if it could easily be fixed.

WK probably would have been better to just have people drill their frame rather than try to fit the bracket above the frame leaving for minimal clearance to the body.

WK Pros:
* Easily the best looking of the two with the top plate option
* Probably the most robust for hard impacts
* Amazing support, there should be no fear from future purchasers that your purchase will be handled

WK Cons:
* Super heavy, both sliders were over 300lb once installed
* Hard to install both because of the weight and the brackets with tight clearance
* Was impossible to make work with my truck

RRO:
It took a while for these to be manufactured, but once they came in I was pretty happy. They are absolutely way lighter, some of that weight is saved by a lighter-weight construction (possibly less durable?). But there is also a lot of weight saved due to not needing the long heavy support arms connecting to the frame, and the corresponding heavy brackets to connect behind the frame.

Instead these use the factory bolts and just provide nuts and washers to bolt on. Install was super fast and easy.

RRO Pros:
* Simpler and easy to install
* Lighter weight
* Still decent looking, but not as good as WK

RRO Cons:
* Not as confident in protection for hard offroading, but probably good enough
* Manufacturing took many months

If anyone has any specific questions or needs any photos just @ me and I am happy to help

WhiskeyRebel3

Reaction score
@jent - that was an awesome write up! Thanks so much for adding all that. I read through the install instructions on WK website and it looked like an absolute job, your experience confirms that. That’s crazy they are that heavy! Those frame mounted brackets would for sure add a bunch of extra weight. Too bad they didn’t work for your truck. I thought the WK with top plate looked much cleaner than the RRO with top plate. Did you set have the old diamond top plate or the new one they show on their website?

I was going to order the RRO’s today but lost track of time so I will do it tomorrow. I decided to not get the full top plate. The spot welds down the top make it look incomplete to me. Curious to see how long it will take to get them in.

Would you post here or send me some pictures that you have of the WK and/or RRO installed on your truck?

Users who are viewing this thread