5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whistling noise

Bgreen36

Reaction score
I bought a 2019 Limited 1500 with 19000 miles and we have had trouble with a whistling noise that sounds like it's from the sunroof! We have had it in for repair 5 times and they think it's fixed but its not, the last time they said they have no idea what it is. I have contacted Ram customer care about a buy back but they say that the technicians at the dealership just don't know what they are doing and was also told the previous owner also had the same issue. I'm very frustrated as the noise is unbearable!

Jack

Reaction score
I bought a 2019 Limited 1500 with 19000 miles and we have had trouble with a whistling noise that sounds like it's from the sunroof! We have had it in for repair 5 times and they think it's fixed but its not, the last time they said they have no idea what it is. I have contacted Ram customer care about a buy back but they say that the technicians at the dealership just don't know what they are doing and was also told the previous owner also had the same issue. I'm very frustrated as the noise is unbearable!

I don't know about the sunroof issue.

I read people have been getting wind noise from the:

1. The small gap in the forward side of the side view mirror housing. (You can tape the gap with tape, if it goes away, you have this problem)

2. improper seal in engine bay where the AC air intake is. (You can test it by turning re-circulation on and off. If the noise goes away when the recirc is on, you have this problem)

Additional issues I am tracking is:

1. rear window frame crack in the top portion in 2019 models, and some even leak in the rain. (I heard 2020 has redesign, and dealers will replace cracked ones under warranty)

2. A/C blend door doesn't seal properly and A/C pulls hot air from heater and doesn't get as cool as other cars at 10+ degrees higher vent temp. (Ram has not addressed the issue, and some people have been "fixing" this by physically modifying the heater core to disable the water flow to it during warmer months)

RJS

Reaction score
Get a roll of 2" 3M blue tape and seal up the sunroof and all the other seams you can get to around windows and doors. If it still whistles then it's probably around the cowl or windshield.
When I bought my 19 Laramie it had a wind noise that I found by taping up the sunroof and removing the tape in sections. It was the passenger front corner. Took it in the next day, explained to the dealer what I did and they opened a star case and replaced parts which stopped the noise. Service guy was very happy I had found the source and said that really helps when they have this data.
While it's probably a shame the new owner needs to locate the problem, my guess is Ram pays to fix the problem not to find it. I'll also speculate that it's no different with other brands.
If the wind noise goes away, then just keep removing tape until it reappears, then you have located the source. Kinda embarrassing riding around with blue tape on a red truck but mine is now a joy to drive so it's all good.

Ramlife143

Reaction score
Wind noise in 2019 Ram Laramie sport. At high way speeds and a/c on recirculate.

I worked for Mopar as a service manager and I have the same issue on my truck. We have tried everything but after I left. A master tech of mine who was working on my truck had another customer who had the same wind noise.

when driving at high way speeds with my a/c on recirculate. We replaced weather strips, blower motor, sun roof, installed missing cabin seal behind the cab but in ground of the bed. The noise really annoy me and gives me a killer head ache.

so my master tech friend started a STAR case and they advised to remove and install a different back seat. They advised there are 2 different set ups. As he removed the seat and removed the carpet to gain access to the bolts he notices a hole in the floor. They taped the wholes and test drove. The noise is gone. That’s right. No one would ever think that would be the cause.

Now I’m being picky but I’m worried about water leaks if I take my truck off water and take on some water.
I don't know about the sunroof issue.

I read people have been getting wind noise from the:

1. The small gap in the forward side of the side view mirror housing. (You can tape the gap with tape, if it goes away, you have this problem)

2. improper seal in engine bay where the AC air intake is. (You can test it by turning re-circulation on and off. If the noise goes away when the recirc is on, you have this problem)

Additional issues I am tracking is:

1. rear window frame crack in the top portion in 2019 models, and some even leak in the rain. (I heard 2020 has redesign, and dealers will replace cracked ones under warranty)

2. A/C blend door doesn't seal properly and A/C pulls hot air from heater and doesn't get as cool as other cars at 10+ degrees higher vent temp. (Ram has not addressed the issue, and some people have been "fixing" this by physically modifying the heater core to disable the water flow to it during warmer months)

Jack

Reaction score
Wind noise in 2019 Ram Laramie sport. At high way speeds and a/c on recirculate.

I worked for Mopar as a service manager and I have the same issue on my truck. We have tried everything but after I left. A master tech of mine who was working on my truck had another customer who had the same wind noise.

when driving at high way speeds with my a/c on recirculate. We replaced weather strips, blower motor, sun roof, installed missing cabin seal behind the cab but in ground of the bed. The noise really annoy me and gives me a killer head ache.

so my master tech friend started a STAR case and they advised to remove and install a different back seat. They advised there are 2 different set ups. As he removed the seat and removed the carpet to gain access to the bolts he notices a hole in the floor. They taped the wholes and test drove. The noise is gone. That’s right. No one would ever think that would be the cause.

Now I’m being picky but I’m worried about water leaks if I take my truck off water and take on some water.
Man, a hole in the floor. That is nuts. How is the cabin floor not sealed from the factory? Is it production defect or design defect?

Users who are viewing this thread