5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which truck to buy!

Fireguy

Reaction score
So as some of you know my current truck is going back to the dealer(they’re buying it back) and I’m getting another. I have a 2500 mega cab and Iove the truck. My first choice would be to get another( without the ramboxes) and with a diesel. Second is the 2019 1500 fully loaded. The prices are about the same but my dilemma is the first generation 2019 1500. There seems to be a lot of bugs they need to work out but I can’t wait until the next years arrives. Give me some thoughts guys of where you would go with this decision.

Bdog

Reaction score
I made the same decision last week. It boils down to if you really need a diesel or not. You can get a 1500 with a lot more creature comforts for the same money as a stripped down diesel. If you routinely tow over 10k get the diesel if not I vote 1500.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of guys here leaving their 2500 behind. And from my experience and as stated by @Bdog if your not towing well over 10000lbs on long trips with hilly terrain, the diesel is way overkill.

On the new model blues of the 2019, remember there are plenty of people with no issues, and plenty of those people haven't found their way to the forum.

@firecadet613 has a pretty thorough checklist and @YoAdrian and others have been working hard on getting issues and fixes known.

Good luck with your choice. Any way you go will be all about your needs.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! First, I would NOT recommend the VM Motori 3.0L EcoDiesel engine to anyone in a truck or towing application.* Reasons below. Second, to your question, there are two keys to happiness buying a 2019 Ram IMO:
1 - Know the typical problem areas by lurking on this site and reviewing the owner poll, and...
2 - Check for those problems thoroughly on your test drive, before you drive the truck off the lot. DO NOT GET STARRY EYED ON THE TEST DRIVE, DO NOT ALLOW YOURSELF TO BE RUSHED BY THE DEALER OR YOUR OWN EAGERNESS. :) Speaking from experience.

Do these things and you set yourself up to get a well built truck with none of the obvious bugs. Should problems occur after buying, find a good service department and they will take care of you... perhaps not as quickly as some might need, but they will.

If you hang with all that you’ll have a solid chance of being happy.

(Oh and 3 - know what your payload needs are, and confirm the door sticker supports them. Don’t trust the marketing numbers.)

*Mine experienced catastrophic main bearing failure at 48k, many others have failed even earlier, FCA refuses to cover it with the Lifetime Warranty, FCA admitted the bearing failure problem but to date have not addressed it with any design champnges. Do what you want of course, I regret being tempted by the wonderful performance numbers.

Troop2865

Reaction score
I am one of those who sold my Ram 2500 with a Cummins and ordered a new 1500. There were a lot of things to love about the diesel, but some big dislikes.

I had to have my turbo replaced at about 80,000 miles. The EGR and other pollution equipment causes a lot of issues I did not have with my previous 5.9 Cummins. If the repair is under warranty, all is good. If not,$$$$$.

A lot of people have their trucks deleted which results in much better fuel economy and no more worries about soot build up causing turbo and other problems, but then you have to worry about having an “illegal “ truck. For me it just wasn’t worth the headaches.

I sold my fifth wheel and purchased an ultralight trailer. I also pull a Willys Jeep on a flat trailer and the total weight is about 5500 pounds. Both trailers should be no problem for the 1500.

I know diesels have their place, but for me, the new regulations have caused too many other expenses and issues.

I have yet to get my new 1500 that I have on order. After reading the forums I too hope my truck does not have any of the issues mentioned. I have also read reviews on the Fords and GM trucks, and have found many concerns/complaints on them also. I have always had good luck with Dodge/Ram as well as Ford. In the end, the Ram was the best truck for the money in my opinion.

Good luck with your decision.

Fireguy

Reaction score
I am one of those who sold my Ram 2500 with a Cummins and ordered a new 1500. There were a lot of things to love about the diesel, but some big dislikes.

I had to have my turbo replaced at about 80,000 miles. The EGR and other pollution equipment causes a lot of issues I did not have with my previous 5.9 Cummins. If the repair is under warranty, all is good. If not,$$$$$.

A lot of people have their trucks deleted which results in much better fuel economy and no more worries about soot build up causing turbo and other problems, but then you have to worry about having an “illegal “ truck. For me it just wasn’t worth the headaches.

I sold my fifth wheel and purchased an ultralight trailer. I also pull a Willys Jeep on a flat trailer and the total weight is about 5500 pounds. Both trailers should be no problem for the 1500.

I know diesels have their place, but for me, the new regulations have caused too many other expenses and issues.

I have yet to get my new 1500 that I have on order. After reading the forums I too hope my truck does not have any of the issues mentioned. I have also read reviews on the Fords and GM trucks, and have found many concerns/complaints on them also. I have always had good luck with Dodge/Ram as well as Ford. In the end, the Ram was the best truck for the money in my opinion.

Good luck with your decision.
Great advice.

Ickabod

Reaction score
...There seems to be a lot of bugs they need to work out but I can’t wait until the next years arrives. Give me some thoughts guys of where you would go with this decision.
I would definitely go with the '19 1500. It really is great truck. The problems that people are having is covered under warranty. As long as you have a good dealer with a decent service department. I have had a couple of warranty trips, but the truck is a dream to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread