5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which oil seperator are you running?

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had two chevy's with serious valve problems on the cylinders that turned off with deactivation and a catch can would have prevented it. A $200 part now is worth spending to possibly prevent the repair bill later down the road.
Does the Hemi handle cylinder deactivation the same way?

Cajun_

Reaction score
Does the Hemi handle cylinder deactivation the same way?
The problem is still there. Oil will build on the valves that deactivate. When the cylinders turn back on the oil burns off and coats the valves over time. Another reason why its a horrible technology that's only a thing thats designed to last past the engines warranty. I get that I was unlucky with my last two trucks but the piece of mind is worth the $200 and it looks cool. My dealership also offers a lifetime warranty on the powertrain if you service with them and they really push getting a catch can so they must think it actually does something.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I plan on putting my catch can on just so I don't need to clean the MAF sensor all the time.
My Silverado almost needed a new MAF sensor at 20k miles because of all the crap these engines recirc in.

Does anyone know what size tubing\fittings need to be used for a catch can for these 5.7?

I'm keeping my TeamRXP can but I'm assuming the fittings aren't going to fit (I believe they are GM quick connects).
I think I can probably just get some generic tubing at Home Depot once I figure out the fitting I need and clamp it to a quick connect.

Attachments

• 2020-05-16 12.17.14.jpg
    2020-05-16 12.17.14.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 24

rotts4u

Reaction score
I bought the Billet Tech one and even though I turn off the MDS system every time I drive I still get an accumulation in mine every 5000 miles

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
None.
Not needed on a naturally aspirated engine.
Not a matter of need. More of a matter of wanting to keep that extra crap from going through my intake. Just because they designed the engine to deal with the blow-by gasses for emissions purposes, doesn't mean it should be forced to do so. On my first car ('66 Chevelle), the sump was vented to the atmosphere, whether by design or by accident. The blow-by just ran out a tube which dumped it onto the back of the engine behind the distributor. I saw what a mess that left. I prefer to do what I can to keep my intake from looking like that hot mess LOL

Oldphart

Reaction score
I bought the Billet Tech one and even though I turn off the MDS system every time I drive I still get an accumulation in mine every 5000 miles
Same here. I just had my 1st oil change after adding it and there was about 3/4" of very dirty oil in the can.

Xchief

Reaction score
I got the Billet and didn't realize it wouldn't work with the S&B CAI. I worked with Nick at Billet and we found a new location to mount it similar to Mishimoto. It is definitely better than the original location and easier to access with or without the S&B. Last I looked the pics on their website are my truck. They are a great company to deal with. Everything is pretty much custom made for you.

NoExpert

Reaction score
I'm also running the Mishimoto can. I like it's fitment and how large the capacity is. I typically don't bother checking it between oil changes.

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
I went with the Mishimoto because I have the S&b intake and no complaints. I had the billet tech CC on my Scat Pack Charger and it was the reason I got one on this truck as it prevent so much blow by from going back in there.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I did Billet ones on my wife’s 2014 Grand Cherokee (Hemi) and my 2014 Ram. Worked well.
Her 2018 Grand Cherokee came with a Billet can from the previous owner, and I have a UPR on my 2020. The UPR seemed to have a better baffle design than the Billet. Both seem to do the job. I almost went the Mishimoto route, but again, I thought the UPR had a better design. Just my opinion, and as you can tell from others here, the Mishimoto is a popular one and not a bad option.

All that being said, I’m probably overthinking it. Any of the name brand ones seem to work well.

Is it needed? No. Does it help keep the engine cleaner and last longer without cleaning? Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread