5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which oil seperator are you running?

James066

Reaction score
In the market for a catch can. Don't know a whole lot about em, so looking for some recommendations.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mishimoto here as well, I like the mounting location, it was on the pricey side however but good quality. A cheap eBay or Amazon knock off will work similarly, but you'll need to get hoses/clamps and have to make your own bracket. I have an Amazon knock off on another vehicle and the black anodizing has begun to chip off

HemiDude

Reaction score
I have a Billet Technologies unit on mine. Like that it mounts to the empty space at the front of the engine, with easy access for draining. Other brands are good also, IMO just don't buy cheap - Obviously, if you are looking for one in the first place, it's because you want to protect your engine. I've heard of some cheaper CCs either not performing as intended, or coming apart.

James066

Reaction score
I have a Billet Technologies unit on mine. Like that it mounts to the empty space at the front of the engine, with easy access for draining. Other brands are good also, IMO just don't buy cheap - Obviously, if you are looking for one in the first place, it's because you want to protect your engine. I've heard of some cheaper CCs either not performing as intended, or coming apart.
I just watched a video on this one. I like it's mounting position. I'm trying to find out if they have a distributor in Canada. Also it asks if you have the S&B air intake. That's something else I'm wondering is worth while. I was just looking up things to make the engine more efficient. Thought about just throwing in a new drop in air filter/S&B/just leaving it the hell alone.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
intake doesnt do anything but look cool under the hood, i have an S&B only because i got it dirt cheap on this forum.

HemiDude

Reaction score
I think the drop-in is your best value. If you add a CAI that runs through the same hole that the stock air box runs through, you really aren't adding any more airflow.

HemiDude

Reaction score
I check mine at every oil change, and once in between changes. Depending on your driving habits, your mileage may vary :unsure:

Cajun_

Reaction score
Every 5k miles is what I was recommended as far as draining mine. Really depends on how you drive and the size of your can obviously.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Moshimoto Catch Can for me. Got a great price on Amazon back in August, never got around to installing it until a couple of months later. This thread reminded me to check it.
Installed at right around 8200 miles, and am now at just about 10100...picture shows how much oil accumulated during that roughly 2k mile interval. That's a decent amount of blow by for almost 2000 miles. More so, it shows that it is doing its job!
Good luck!

Attachments

• 20220113_103120.jpg
    20220113_103120.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 53

HemiDude

Reaction score
Hmm... I don't use the MDS, and still prefer to dump the oil that collects in my can as opposed to reintroducing it into the engine through the intake. I see no benefit to lubricating my valves and spark plugs 😁

Scram1500

Reaction score
You can't imagine the goop that comes out of an 11 year old Kia with bad rings and 115K miles, it's like something from Starbucks. This was from a couple hundred miles in chilly weather
IMG_20220113_173001.jpg

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We have port injection, so the injectors clean the valves.

The milky stuff is mostly just harmless humidity.

If we had forced induction (tons of blow-by) and/or direct injection, I'd be OK running one.

In the meantime, I'll let it build up naturally and clean the intake later on sometime when I get a ton of miles racked up.

Users who are viewing this thread