5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which affects gas mileage negatively more on a Hemi... Not having eTorque or having a 3.92 Rear?

BigD

Reaction score
I've heard from watching countless You Tube video's that the difference in mpg between the 3.21 & 3.92 is about 1.5 mpg. With etorque u get 2 mpg better than with no etorque. So I went with the 3.92 with etorque. I figure that's the best of both worlds. I'd rather have more than enough take off power & towing capabilities than not enough. etorque is hard to find on the Big Horn trim level though. My dealership only had 3 in stock. I've also heard by 2022 start/stop will be standard equipment on all Rams.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Bighorn crew cab with 5.7 hemi 3.92 gears & etorque. I just averaged 23.4 mpg on a 135 mile trip on roads averaging 55-60 mph. Not sure why your getting such terrible mileage?
mine keeps going out of balance and I read that can lower mpgs

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Bighorn crew cab with 5.7 hemi 3.92 gears & etorque. I just averaged 23.4 mpg on a 135 mile trip on roads averaging 55-60 mph. Not sure why your getting such terrible mileage?

Even with my 3.92 & 33" tires I can get over 19 mpg on a long highway trip at constant speed, I think the terrible mileage you are hearing are normal combined mpg for mixed driving. My normal mpg for driving around town with occasional highway is about 13 mpg. Once you mix in some city, it drops like a rock.

Oldremguy

Reaction score
I have had my 2019 RAM 1500, 4x4 Crew Cab, 5.7 Hemi (non-etorque), 2.92 rear end, 6.4 foot bed with 18" tires for 8 months now. This winter I was getting about 14 - 15 mpg City & 17-18 mpg Highway. I have only been on one long trip when I first got the truck and I averaged about 19 mpg on the highway. Most of the time it is city driving. It was a nice sunny today and I took a trip out of town to a Distillery to pick up a case of hand sanitizer that they were making there so my wife would have some at her business. So it was a 2 hour and 45 min. round trip going a total of 121 miles. I would say that it was about 10% city driving going 30 - 35 mph, 20% thruway driving going 65 - 70 mph and Country driving going 55 - 60 mph. My starting point was approximately 540 feet above sea level and the Distillery was at an elevation of 1610 feet. So there was a combination of of level driving and going up and down hills. When I got back home I averaged 21.2 mpg. This is the best I ever got with the truck. Before I started I filled the truck up with 87 regular octane with 10% ethanol.

photo  1.jpg

runamuck

Reaction score
I get plenty good mileage for a truck..over 20 on the highway at 75-78 cruise..if you drive in stop and go traffic a lot the etorque would most likely give you better mileage because the 8 speed tranny has very low 1st gear and the etorque gets you off the line with a little boost.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Even with my 3.92 & 33" tires I can get over 19 mpg on a long highway trip at constant speed, I think the terrible mileage you are hearing are normal combined mpg for mixed driving. My normal mpg for driving around town with occasional highway is about 13 mpg. Once you mix in some city, it drops like a rock.
Yes it does. My average has been sitting at 18.5 for the past few weeks. I took a few days off to work around the house, so I was doing a lot of short trips to nurseries and home improvement stores...its sitting at 15.4 now. Consistency is key in maintaining good gas mileage; stop and go is a killer.

Konrad

Reaction score
With the warmer weather here in Illinois now, I'm getting pretty consistent 18.5mpg in city/suburban driving. This is my third consecutive tank with such results now, 100% suburban - getting groceries, Home Depot, liqour store (lol), UPS / Fedex, etc. All within 10 mile radius (so short trips), lots of stop-n-go. Very happy with my truck.
03ed201af7bc9c4c5cd80e5125bd37a7.plist

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boston

Reaction score
The thing that bugs me about the etorque version, is that the fuel tank is 23 not 26 gallons. Why??? I’d rather see the 33 gallon tank on every vehicle especially if you tow.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes it does. My average has been sitting at 18.5 for the past few weeks. I took a few days off to work around the house, so I was doing a lot of short trips to nurseries and home improvement stores...its sitting at 15.4 now. Consistency is key in maintaining good gas mileage; stop and go is a killer.
1000 all highway trip only averaged 16! With the e torque I can can 17-18 in town as long as it’s just not all short trips. Mine gets better in town then on the highway. I still think my tire balance problem is what’s causing mine to drop in the highway?

Konrad

Reaction score
The thing that bugs me about the etorque version, is that the fuel tank is 23 not 26 gallons. Why??? I’d rather see the 33 gallon tank on every vehicle especially if you tow.

Mine is 26 gal and it's eTorque Hemi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine has a 26! Don’t want the 33, just hauling all that extra weight around! But to each his own I guess. Not sure how anyone can burn through 26 gallons of fuel without a bathroom break or food.

Boston

Reaction score
Mine has a 26! Don’t want the 33, just hauling all that extra weight around! But to each his own I guess. Not sure how anyone can burn through 26 gallons of fuel without a bathroom break or food.

The logic there is if you are towing, doing 10-12mpg, every extra gallon helps reduce range anxiety. Think 23 is standard on Etorque if the brochure is accurate.

Boston

Reaction score
i got a 26 gal tank. where did you get 23?

Purchase on pause.
Love the incentives but we really don’t need to buy a replacement vehicle until August. We’ve only filled up one vehicle out of three since this thing started a few weeks ago.

Think if you check your sticker the 26 gallon is a $95 option on etorque.

Why Ram doesn’t stick with a since tank size and reduces the parts and programming needs of the truck’s is beyond me.

Last edited:

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
I have the etorque 3:92, 3400 miles is all, so maybe it will get better after a few more miles. In town I’ve gotten up to 18 mpg, however if I just do short trips like 2 miles to work and back it’s only like 15 mpg. The engine has to be hot, before the etorque really kicks in. Now for the kicker highway mpg so far best Ive gotten is 17, it’s rated at 22. That’s driving flat ground at 60 mpg. Not very good considering I paid 1200 more for the e torque. I really like the way the hemi pairs with the 3:92 gears, it’s like driving a high end sports car! I would say based on my truck the 3:92 mpg really kills the highway mpg. Good luck!
I can tell you right now the 3:92 is not affecting your gas mileage as much as you think. I have an eTorque with 3:21 and 4wd and I have yet to get more than 17-18 mpg on the freeway as well with cruise control set at the highway speed limit of 65 mph. These trucks may be really nice and great for a lot of things, but my gas mileage has been my biggest disappointment so far in my short almost 2 months of ownership. From what I understand, these trucks do great at 55 mph and below as far as highway speed is concerned, but who in this day and time regularly drives 55 mph.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
I get plenty good mileage for a truck..over 20 on the highway at 75-78 cruise..if you drive in stop and go traffic a lot the etorque would most likely give you better mileage because the 8 speed tranny has very low 1st gear and the etorque gets you off the line with a little boost.
I don't see eTorque in your signature, so I am assuming you have a non eTorque Hemi. With that said, there is definitely not an extra boost from the eTorque, more like you have to let off the brake slowly to avoid the lunge it does when the engine abruptly turns back on. I came from an Ecoboost and this new Ram is extremely sluggish compared to that, but that is another topic altogether. All that said, I would rather not have the eTorque and not have to worry about the lunge every time I let off the brake, than to have it and maybe save an MPG per gallon. I know I can turn it off if I want to to.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
I've heard from watching countless You Tube video's that the difference in mpg between the 3.21 & 3.92 is about 1.5 mpg. With etorque u get 2 mpg better than with no etorque. So I went with the 3.92 with etorque. I figure that's the best of both worlds. I'd rather have more than enough take off power & towing capabilities than not enough. etorque is hard to find on the Big Horn trim level though. My dealership only had 3 in stock. I've also heard by 2022 start/stop will be standard equipment on all Rams.
I think you make some good points, especially for city driving. On the highway though, etorque doesn't help and may even be a slight parasitic loss (plus added weight).

Users who are viewing this thread