5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which affects gas mileage negatively more on a Hemi... Not having eTorque or having a 3.92 Rear?

Spacebear2001

Reaction score
I'm finding a few trucks I like but not everything that has it all. I found two that were very alike but one had the regular hemi with no etorque and the other had etorque but a 3.92 rear end. I was curious... does anyone know which would have the worse gas mileage, all other things being equal. I know it might only be a gallon or tow difference, but just curious... does lack of eTorque kill gas mileage more or does the 3.92 rear? And If they are the same, what does the eTorque give me over the 3.92 and vice versa. Thank you!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm finding a few trucks I like but not everything that has it all. I found two that were very alike but one had the regular hemi with no etorque and the other had etorque but a 3.92 rear end. I was curious... does anyone know which would have the worse gas mileage, all other things being equal. I know it might only be a gallon or tow difference, but just curious... does lack of eTorque kill gas mileage more or does the 3.92 rear? And If they are the same, what does the eTorque give me over the 3.92 and vice versa. Thank you!
Based on numbers we’ve seen claimed here and reported via Fuelly, I’m guessing the gearing makes a much larger difference.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Both those options will be better with poeple who do more city driving. If you do a lot of highway driving then the 3.21 gears will be more efficiant with our without e torque.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Based on reading hundreds, if not a thousand, posts on mileage, here’s my opinion...

If you do a lot of stop and go driving the lack of ETorque will have a negative impact, especially in cooler weather where your not using A/C so much. The stop/start can save fuel. Lesser, if any, impact on the highway.

At interstate speeds the 3.92 will have a negative impact. The faster you travel, the greater the impact.

YellowSled

Reaction score
I was looking at 2 identical trucks both with eTorque, and i mean they were identical down to the color. With the exception, one truck had a additional option, the 3.92. I opted to get the 3.21 as I dont tow that much at all and i rather have my truck rpm less at highway speeds. just my take....

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was looking at 2 identical trucks both with eTorque, and i mean they were identical down to the color. With the exception, one truck had a additional option, the 3.92. I opted to get the 3.21 as I dont tow that much at all and i rather have my truck rpm less at highway speeds. just my take....
Good reasoning, but I notice you didn’t mention the difference in driving experience.

I could’ve ordered my truck either way, but after test-driving a HEMI with 3.21, 3.5L EcoBoost, and 6.2L Denali back-to-back, the Ram felt sluggish. I ran back over to Ram and test-drove a 3.92, which felt snappier off the line.

Later, I test-drove (and wrote a review on) the first eTorque truck to show up on a dealer lot. And I ended up ordering my truck with both 3.92 and eTorque to get the best possible driving experience out of my new rig.

But to be crystal clear, fuel economy was sacrificed in favor of driving feel.

YellowSled

Reaction score
I didnt drive either to be honest. (deployed right now and bought ahead of my return). Yes, it may be perkier to drive a 3.92, but i rather just get the better mpg. If I wanted a fast vehicle, I would have opted for a 750i bmw.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the etorque 3:92, 3400 miles is all, so maybe it will get better after a few more miles. In town I’ve gotten up to 18 mpg, however if I just do short trips like 2 miles to work and back it’s only like 15 mpg. The engine has to be hot, before the etorque really kicks in. Now for the kicker highway mpg so far best Ive gotten is 17, it’s rated at 22. That’s driving flat ground at 60 mpg. Not very good considering I paid 1200 more for the e torque. I really like the way the hemi pairs with the 3:92 gears, it’s like driving a high end sports car! I would say based on my truck the 3:92 mpg really kills the highway mpg. Good luck!

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Based on reading hundreds, if not a thousand, posts on mileage, here’s my opinion...

If you do a lot of stop and go driving the lack of ETorque will have a negative impact, especially in cooler weather where your not using A/C so much. The stop/start can save fuel. Lesser, if any, impact on the highway.

At interstate speeds the 3.92 will have a negative impact. The faster you travel, the greater the impact.
I’d says based on driving mine, your exactly right

raven_DT

Reaction score
Traded my 2019 Ram 5.7 w 3.92 today...was averaging 17.5mpg

5Lugs

Reaction score
I`m new here. I have a 2019 1500 DT with the 5.7 hemi and 3.92`s with the locking rear. I`m getting anywhere from 17.5-20.2 with combined city/highway. Thus far I`ve had it for a year, April 15th, 2019- now. I have 15,350 miles on her. I wanted the 3.92`s as I build and tow muscle cars and wanted the power. I`m getting about 1.5-2 mpg over the 2008 Chevrolet LTZ with the 5.3 and 3.73`s/locking rear and heavy towing. So I`m happy with the mpg`s myself. Peace Dale

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The single biggest factor that determines your gas mileage in these trucks is how you drive. If you drive it around like you are doing 1/4 mile runs or you like to drive 80 plus on the highway; then your mileage will suck regardless of which you get. Also, if your daily commute requires you to sit and idle a lot; then your mileage will suck. E-torque helps some; but doesn't do much for highway or when its hot and your A/C is running. 3.21 would probably help on the highway some. But I think you can mitigate the difference between 3.21 and 3.92 by adjusting how you drive your truck.
I have 3.92, no E-torgue and am averaging 18.4 MPG driving a suburban commute to work everyday; some of this is due to less traffic because of COVID-19. However, my usual average is around 16.5. The worst I have ever done on a tank of all highway driving was 17.9 running about 78 MPH in a headwind. My average highway MPG is about 18.5 to 19.8 depending on conditions. I have gotten over 20 on the highway before. The key to good gas mileage in these trucks is to get up to speed relatively quickly and then learn to back off and drive so that MDS engages (by monitoring the ECO light).
If a truck with everything that you want is available; no problem....just get it. However, I wouldn't let E-torque or gearing make me pass on a good deal. I do like the 3.92 and the idea that I won't have any issues up-sizing tires with 3.92. E-torque - I could take it or leave it; it really doesn't seem to have the gains that FCA promised. I would never sacrifice my Limited Slip rear axle though.

LM42

Reaction score
For those asking who don't already have a 3.92 truck, my Big Horn 5.7 non etorque with the 275/55R20 factory tire only spins about 2k RPM at 70mph. Not loping along, but not exactly high RPM either. For me the 3.92 is the best option as I will sometimes pull cars behind. And I HATE being underpowered when towing.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love having the 3.92 and the e-Torque. Towing is the easiest (9,200Lb Boat, a flatbed car hauler, and a cargo trailer) I have ever had it, complete luxury, quiet, and still with a comfortable and level ride with the air suspension. When the 2500 gets the 1500 tech, pano roof, and four corner Air ride I will be upgrading.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Your axle ratio and your tires are the biggest factors assuming your driving style and route is the same. Two identical RAMs, one with 3.21 and standard street tires vs 3.92 and 33" tires (like the Rebel) will be Worlds away if you want an extreme example.

If mpg is a concern, forgo the 3.92 and also the premium packages with larger wheels/tire such as the 33" tired Rebel or the 22" wheels on the Sport.

BigD

Reaction score
I have the etorque 3:92, 3400 miles is all, so maybe it will get better after a few more miles. In town I’ve gotten up to 18 mpg, however if I just do short trips like 2 miles to work and back it’s only like 15 mpg. The engine has to be hot, before the etorque really kicks in. Now for the kicker highway mpg so far best Ive gotten is 17, it’s rated at 22. That’s driving flat ground at 60 mpg. Not very good considering I paid 1200 more for the e torque. I really like the way the hemi pairs with the 3:92 gears, it’s like driving a high end sports car! I would say based on my truck the 3:92 mpg really kills the highway mpg. Good luck!
I have a 2020 Bighorn crew cab with 5.7 hemi 3.92 gears & etorque. I just averaged 23.4 mpg on a 135 mile trip on roads averaging 55-60 mph. Not sure why your getting such terrible mileage?

Users who are viewing this thread