5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where’s my hitch?

Abray1978

Reaction score
So I am new to having a Pickup and also new to this forum.

I purchased my 2019 Ram Sport 1500 last week. It has all of the Tow / Haul features, including the electrical jack on the bumper but it didn’t come with a hitch. Is that normal or is there a secret I am missing? ;)

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I am new to having a Pickup and also new to this forum.

I purchased my 2019 Ram Sport 1500 last week. It has all of the Tow / Haul features, including the electrical jack on the bumper but it didn’t come with a hitch. Is that normal or is there a secret I am missing? ;)

That’s normal. You have a receiver. Go buy a hitch that has the ball size you need.

Zinger

Reaction score
That’s normal. You have a receiver. Go buy a hitch that has the ball size you need.

Don't forget to consider the trailer you're towing so you can get the right level of ball drop so it tows as level as possible.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is very similar to another question about this, so to start we need more info. Sport...so guessing you are from Canada. Which is based on bighorn/lonestar. Which if you didn't get the towing package, or select the class IV reciever, then you only have a class 3 which is your bumper.

Give some more info and we will figure it out.

But if you do mean the hitch, then that answer was given...but if by hitch you mean reciever, then you may not have one.

Abray1978

Reaction score
Thanks everyone - yup, I’m in Ontario and the Sport is only available on Canada. I have the Tow / Haul switch in the dash and there is a wiring harness female plug beside the license plate. As well, I do have the cut out in the bumper for a ball it seems, so I guess that’s the class 3 one?

Right now I don’t have anything to haul but next spring we are looking to rent /buy a 15-22 foot camping trailer so will need to figure out if I need to purchase just the ball or what?

Again extremely new to this so I need to spend some time researching as well.

Appreciate the patience

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone - yup, I’m in Ontario and the Sport is only available on Canada. I have the Tow / Haul switch in the dash and there is a wiring harness female plug beside the license plate. As well, I do have the cut out in the bumper for a ball it seems, so I guess that’s the class 3 one?

Right now I don’t have anything to haul but next spring we are looking to rent /buy a 15-22 foot camping trailer so will need to figure out if I need to purchase just the ball or what?

Again extremely new to this so I need to spend some time researching as well.

Appreciate the patience

You'll need a class IV receiver to pull something like that. Unfortunately in Canada. They're fairly cheap to install aftermarket so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Wow. I thought all Rams came with a class IV receiver. I’ve learned something new myself.

I believe they do in the States but in Canada that's a different story.

Abray1978

Reaction score
That’s the underside where the hitch is. Thoughts? E7FC4E27-49B0-4000-8B2D-B54B5AD0505F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tradesman and bighorn/lonestar do not have a class IV hitch standard. It is part of the tow package that makes no sense on the higher trims cause the class IV is standard.

We had some confusion trying to explain this before...because what we didn't understand is that ththe class 3 isn't a reciever hitch but the bumper.

Tow/haul mode isn't part of the towing package either.

I would be curious to know if you get the 7 pin plug or just the 4/5 pin.
Another reason to make sure you know what you are buying.

Here is the link to the other discussion so we don't have to post the info twice and you can see what we found out.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/2019-trailer-hitch.2692/

Abray1978

Reaction score
Thanks everyone - my mistake for not checking what class of hitch was included.

I’ll look to upgrade in the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread