5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When to use WDH?

pMak26

Reaction score
Specifically, with the factory air suspension, should I use a WDH when towing ~5000#?

My normal tow is pulling my racecars around on my open aluminum trailer. The heaviest tongue weight and total weight I'll see is 550# and ~4600# respectively. Since the air suspension auto-levels, do I even need to hook up my WDH bars? If its a case of, 'couldn't hurt' then I'll just hook them up, but if it really won't make a difference I won't bother.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
WDH is recommended with over 500 tongue weight or 5000 trailer weight

Looks like you would be fine without it.

But if you have it.. It never hurts to use it

pMak26

Reaction score
Good info, thank you.

I do have it as I would use it with my last tow rig, a Nissan Frontier. Made more sense with that truck since it was ~1000# lighter and tow rating was 6500#. I did add bags to the rear of that truck and admittedly towed without the WDH bars attached a few times and it was absolutely no problem. That's why I've been contemplating leaving it off all the time for this setup.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
The WDH will help with sway elimination and ensuring any dips in the highway don't unload your front tires too much and cause understeer/safety issues. Agreed it's recommended over 500lb tongue weight and in many states/provinces it's law over 5,000lbs trailer weight for light weight trucks. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Also a plus of using it, the wear on your tires will be less uneven front vs. rear due to towing.

dannymcd

Reaction score
I have one for my 3500lb hybrid travel trailer from when I was pulling it with my Volvo S90, mainly because of the tongue weight, it sagged a little w/o it but I didn't want it to bottom out. Now I still have it and I just got a 1500 so I'm on the fence if I should still use it or not, it has the friction bars so I don't see the harm other than it'll look kinda funny on a single axle trailer. I'm also, you guessed it looking to go bigger, but I'm thinking to keep it around 6000lbs since I've got 2 great danes and the payload gets a little thin.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
I have one for my 3500lb hybrid travel trailer from when I was pulling it with my Volvo S90, mainly because of the tongue weight, it sagged a little w/o it but I didn't want it to bottom out. Now I still have it and I just got a 1500 so I'm on the fence if I should still use it or not, it has the friction bars so I don't see the harm other than it'll look kinda funny on a single axle trailer. I'm also, you guessed it looking to go bigger, but I'm thinking to keep it around 6000lbs since I've got 2 great danes and the payload gets a little thin.

3500lbs loaded I would skip it, but best would be to tow with and without and see which feels better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dannymcd

Reaction score
3500lbs loaded I would skip it, but best would be to tow with and without and see which feels better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I would've but it was over the max tongue weight of the car. it was 300lbs/500 w/WD hitch. so I was a good boy and followed the rules. I swear I pulled alot of hair out doing the calculations for payload capacity on the front and rear axles and at those low tongue weights it was difficult to find the proper WD hitch.

Tmoney76

Reaction score
If nothing else it’s cheap insurance for sway control. They don’t take that much time to install.

Users who are viewing this thread