5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When to change oil after break in period?

GeoJoe

Reaction score
I just bought my 2019 Ram in February, and it currently has 1719 miles on the odometer. When do you guys think I should change my oil, and is it ok to do the first oil change using synthetic oil, or should I wait until the second oil change to start running synthetic?

Thanks,

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just bought my 2019 Ram in February, and it currently has 1719 miles on the odometer. When do you guys think I should change my oil, and is it ok to do the first oil change using synthetic oil, or should I wait until the second oil change to start running synthetic?

Thanks,

I went to my dealer at 2k miles and they refused. Said it’s perfectly fine to run longer or at 6 months. Svc rep said when oil life is at 40% it would be time to get it done. He said that no break in period was really needed. Got it changed at 4K miles when it was in last week for a new rear window

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thanks,

It came from factory with synthetic You need to stay with Synth

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do it now, get that trash out of there. Fill with synthetic blend ( as factory fill is) again Go another 2-3k change again. Then go to full synthetic if you choose.
Or go with PUP right away as it has high moly and other great additives won’t hurt break in. Still would change it out 2-3k. That’s just me

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I went to my dealer at 2k miles and they refused. Said it’s perfectly fine to run longer or at 6 months. Svc rep said when oil life is at 40% it would be time to get it done. He said that no break in period was really needed. Got it changed at 4K miles when it was in last week for a new rear window

Same for me, tried his best to keep me from getting an oil change, never seen a service advisor do that before.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Dealer put an oil change reminder on mine for 5k miles for the first change... with the lifetime powertrain warranty figure if it needed it sooner they’d say something.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dealer put an oil change reminder on mine for 5k miles for the first change... with the lifetime powertrain warranty figure if it needed it sooner they’d say something.

Uh, what lifetime Powertrain warranty??? That went away a few years ago iirc . Current is only 5 years / 100k

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I was about to say, tell me about this lifetime powertrain thing? Maybe he paid extra for it?

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was about to say, tell me about this lifetime powertrain thing? Maybe he paid extra for it?

I never saw anything referring to it. Even my extended warranty goes to 9 or 10 years. The got rid of the Powertrain lifetime deal in 2014 or 16. Lots of lawsuits because they were canceling it on people who did not have 5 year inspections done. Apparently owners weren’t told they needed these 5 year inspections. Big mess.

I googled it to find out more. They used to offer it as an extended warranty option but no longer offer. I tried to attach a screenshot but the app is not letting me. They were lifetime maximum care plans.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I never saw anything referring to it. Even my extended warranty goes to 9 or 10 years. The got rid of the Powertrain lifetime deal in 2014 or 16. Lots of lawsuits because they were canceling it on people who did not have 5 year inspections done. Apparently owners weren’t told they needed these 5 year inspections. Big mess.

Oh, makes sense. I'm more interested in an extended water leaking in the cab warranty, knock on wood :)

Stevenc150

Reaction score

Thanks,
Opinions on this are like a-holes...so heres mine haha. IMO after 1000miles breakin is basically done, maybe earlier when u think how many rpms the engine has turned; and esp if u vary throttle like u should. I go straight to full-syn sometime before 1500.

not saying its 100% right but thru 3 new trucks, and full-syn oil ch. every 10k after [above]...it drains just shy of 7 quarts everytime fwiw

VaBeachRam

Reaction score

I googled it to find out more. They used to offer it as an extended warranty option but no longer offer. I tried to attach a screenshot but the app is not letting me. They were lifetime maximum care plans.

Lot of dealerships still offer a lifetime powertrain warranty through them. Not sure what happens if you move away from that dealer though

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I did mine around 4900 miles. I believe oil life gauge said it had 30 or 40% left.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I always do a first oil change at around 1000 miles. On this truck I went with PUP at just over 1000 miles, and oil life gauge showing 89% left. Doesn't matter what the dealership says about it not being necessary. I do it for my own peace of mind.

50Front

Reaction score
I lease so first one about 9500 miles when monitor was down under 5%. Had the second one at 19000 or so. If i owned i would do 1000, 5000 then every 10000.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Engines are pre broken in. They run them in factory.

The factory oil has a lot of special additives. Better to leave it. They don't flll it with cheap stuff.

I have 2k on mine and its barely over a month old. Dealer was 200 miles away plus lots of extra trips for work. Field engineering along the IRL, covering 5 counties.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

Sorry to aid in taking this thread off-topic, but apparently they brought it back. I'm looking at an email I just received from Mopar Vehicle Protection offering unlimited engine and powertrain coverage starting at $1499.00 (cash price). So unless someone is spoofing it to make it look that way, it's coming directly from Mopar.

VaBeachRam

Reaction score
Sorry to aid in taking this thread off-topic, but apparently they brought it back. I'm looking at an email I just received from Mopar Vehicle Protection offering unlimited engine and powertrain coverage starting at $1499.00 (cash price). So unless someone is spoofing it to make it look that way, it's coming directly from Mopar.

I've seen you can buy a mopar extended warranty for unlimited miles but for 7 years max i think. Is that what you saw?

dct33

Reaction score
I just received from Mopar Vehicle Protection offering unlimited engine and powertrain coverage starting at $1499.00 (cash price). So unless someone is spoofing it to make it look that way, it's coming directly from Mopar.
I just received the same email. Wondered myself if it was a scam.
Screenshot_20200505-141227_Email.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/