5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When changing to LED (fog lights, head lights low/hi) do you also update config with AlphaOBD?

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
Hi - are any of you that have done the halogen to LED swap (not just bulbs, the entire assembly, VLAN, Morimoto, etc) - are you also updating any vehicle configuration settings using AlphaOBD?

I'm just curious because I know there are menu options for changing the light type in those locations to LED - so I'm assuming there's a reason you can change parameters, but not finding anything in any install videos, emails to vendors, that says if you should update or not.

I know the install is physically, for the most part, plug and play. Just curious if there's an extra step that should be done if someone has AlphaOBD and is comfortable making config changes.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had morimoto headlights and now OEM led headlights plus diode dynamics SS3 fog lights. I have all led tail light bulbs as well. Never changed any settings.

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
So I purchased these Morimoto "4banger" LED lights - just went through the hassle of installing them ...and they don't work. Nada. No light. Unlplug them, plug in my OEM halogens, light. Plug in the Morimoto - no light.

2 emails and one text to "Headlight Revolution" asking for help - not a single response. To say I am frustrated right now is wildly understating my current mental state....

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I purchased these Morimoto "4banger" LED lights - just went through the hassle of installing them ...and they don't work. Nada. No light. Unlplug them, plug in my OEM halogens, light. Plug in the Morimoto - no light.

2 emails and one text to "Headlight Revolution" asking for help - not a single response. To say I am frustrated right now is wildly understating my current mental state....
Read through this thread it should answer your question.

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
Well update my own thread ha.

First - the lights are working now. I saw in another LED fog light install from a different vendor (infotainment) that you need to reverse the pins on the connectors, so I tried that and lights are working - sort of - which leads to my next issue/concern.

I am getting a noticeable amount of pulsating/flicker with the LED's - its distracting enough to consider taking them out. Prior to the install, I had put in LED lights in the OEM fog light housing. These were also pulsating/flickering which is why I choose to purchase a true LED fog light. Obviously that didn't fix that problem.

I also tried setting the config option in AlphaOBD to "yes" for "LED front fog light present". That actually doesn't work - if I do set that option to yes, the fog lights will come on briefly and turn right back off.

So I'm a bit frustrated as I don't see many posts mentioning LEDs flickering/pulsing. I've had trucks - including Rams - with OEM LED lights - no flickering.

Are there any remedies or is this just the way aftermarket things are going to be like?

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread