5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wheel Touch up Paint

Swag1981

Reaction score
Well I searched on Ebay for these touch up paints for wheels since my local dealer had no idea they even existed. I asked the seller what they thought would be a match and he suggested Gloss Black wheel Touch up PX8, however I can't be sure that's right but ordered it anyway. I just got it yesterday and going to do a quick spot on the wheel to see if it matches. Seems like no one really knows what the exact match would be which I find kind of hard to believe. I do know when I called a local wheel repair guy out here he was quoting me like $250 because of the difficulty in matching it. Suggested I refinish all 4 wheels so they match and gave me a price. I passed.

I used Testors Satin Black enamel paint on my night edition wheels, but the black edition on the Limited is more glossy. Make sure you have mineral spirits so you can remove it before it dries if you don’t like the match. Prep the area with fine sand paper, 600 grit or so, just to remove the really rough area so that it blends better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XLINE

Reaction score
Did anyone figure out the part number or code for the Laramie Night Edition? I may or may not of kissed a curb at the atm....

F9A32FB4-76F1-4E8B-A30D-3F9DC9CE7D41.png

ABarton

Reaction score
It’s a mess to figure out. Let me know how it goes. A guy at one of my local dealers claims it’s Mopar Wheel Touch-Up Paint PNW Black Noise 68423870AA for the 2021 22 inch black aluminum wheels. Everyone in the parts department says he is the only one there who knows how to match the paints, so I am hopeful. I ordered it, but haven’t tried it yet due to a lot of rain lately. Will try it later this week.

Simplman

Reaction score
In the past when I’d find a chip on the powder coated parts of my Harley I used fingernail paint. Just clean the spot really well and apply. Used it on some black powder coated Z71 wheels on my past Chevy and it never failed. Probably had 40k miles with it applied and it was still on there.

southall

Reaction score
In the past when I’d find a chip on the powder coated parts of my Harley I used fingernail paint. Just clean the spot really well and apply. Used it on some black powder coated Z71 wheels on my past Chevy and it never failed. Probably had 40k miles with it applied and it was still on there.
I also am looking forward to your report on which one to buy for my 2020 RAM Laramie Night Edition with the 22" Black Wheels

LV426

Reaction score
2020, 20–Inch x 9.0–Inch Premium Paint/Polished Wheels. Mine comes a small chunk of tire out also courtesy of the previous owner.
I plan on fixing this soon but id like the paint code also.

Attachments

• IMG_20210320_161254.jpg
    IMG_20210320_161254.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 98

madgaffer216

Reaction score
I had one rim with some curb rash, and I ended up buying a almost new set of 4 Night Edition rims on Craigslist from someone who swapped wheels. The dealer quoted me $729 for a single rim!! I plan on keeping one as a spare and will sell the other 2 individually or together if someone wants them? Not sure on the price. In very good shape with some minor scuffs. 20210421_164038.jpg 20210421_164133.jpg 20210421_164044.jpg 20210421_164102.jpg

Imakeaway

Reaction score
Was pretty psyched when I saw a Maximum Steel 1500 drive by and the lightbulb went on that’s my wheel color. There’s a nice unexplained chip on my baby’s skates. 🤬

tshurt28

Reaction score
It’s a mess to figure out. Let me know how it goes. A guy at one of my local dealers claims it’s Mopar Wheel Touch-Up Paint PNW Black Noise 68423870AA for the 2021 22 inch black aluminum wheels. Everyone in the parts department says he is the only one there who knows how to match the paints, so I am hopeful. I ordered it, but haven’t tried it yet due to a lot of rain lately. Will try it later this week.
Any luck on the touch-up paint you were recommended? I'm trying to fix some wheel scuffs on my Laramie Night Edition as well. Let me know your thoughts on what was recommended or if you were able to find a better solution.

Klicht87

Reaction score
Any luck on the touch-up paint you were recommended? I'm trying to fix some wheel scuffs on my Laramie Night Edition as well. Let me know your thoughts on what was recommended or if you were able to find a better solution.
I used satin black rustoleum spray paint. Matches perfectly and you can easily get it at the walmart.

Saddlerocker

Reaction score
I ordered the Testors 1139 and Mopar Black Noise wheel touch up.
Ill get a final answer on the Mopar Black Noise within 2 weeks (have to go out of town for work)

EDIT: Black Noise is NOT correct for the laramie night edition 22's. It may be the limited color. There is silver flake in the black noise. See my posts on page 3.

Last edited:

Surfnurse311

Reaction score
Well I searched on Ebay for these touch up paints for wheels since my local dealer had no idea they even existed. I asked the seller what they thought would be a match and he suggested Gloss Black wheel Touch up PX8, however I can't be sure that's right but ordered it anyway. I just got it yesterday and going to do a quick spot on the wheel to see if it matches. Seems like no one really knows what the exact match would be which I find kind of hard to believe. I do know when I called a local wheel repair guy out here he was quoting me like $250 because of the difficulty in matching it. Suggested I refinish all 4 wheels so they match and gave me a price. I passed.
What was the consensus on color for these night edition rims? Kissed my first curb with my 2022 ram and pretty bummed…. Adjusting from driving my civic

Attachments

• 6A35CA12-DFDF-4EE2-9C10-B0ADD2D6B6FD.jpeg
    6A35CA12-DFDF-4EE2-9C10-B0ADD2D6B6FD.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 111

JJameSS

Reaction score
I ordered the Testors 1139 and Mopar Black Noise wheel touch up.
Ill get a final answer on the Mopar Black Noise within 2 weeks (have to go out of town for work)
Curb rash as well and have the 22" Night edition Satin Black rims. Did you find out if the Mopar Black Noise was a perfect match?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
What was the consensus on color for these night edition rims? Kissed my first curb with my 2022 ram and pretty bummed…. Adjusting from driving my civic
Ouch! That wasn't a kiss, it was a molestation. Not sure that's even repairable.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's a 1 on a difficulty scale of ten for any competent wheel repair shop (1 being easiest).
Are you a wheel repair expert? Seriously, I'd like to know. That pic isn't enough to give a true estimation on the damage. I'm sure they can smooth things out and make it black again. But I doubt it will look right. But I don't repair wheels for a living. Nor have I had one repaired this century LOL.

Grouper

Reaction score
Are you a wheel repair expert? Seriously, I'd like to know. That pic isn't enough to give a true estimation on the damage. I'm sure they can smooth things out and make it black again. But I doubt it will look right. But I don't repair wheels for a living. Nor have I had one repaired this century LOL.

I've had wheels repaired that were so bent, a tire couldn't be seated.

That wheel will be one of the least challenging wheels Glenn's would encounter on a day to day basis. Gouges are repaired by adding aluminum where needed and grinding to shape.

They will make it look new.

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've had wheels repaired that were so bent, a tire couldn't be seated.

That wheel will be one of the least challenging wheels Glenn's would encounter on a day to day basis. Gouges are repaired by adding aluminum where needed and grinding to shape.

They will make it look new.

I can't watch that video from my work computer, but I can tell you that back in the day, when I worked in a couple different tire stores, state laws didn't allow us to mount a tire onto a rim that had been welded on unless it was for farm implement or off-road use. IDK if those laws have changed. I'm sure welding technology has improved since the late 70's though. (y)

Saddlerocker

Reaction score
Curb rash as well and have the 22" Night edition Satin Black rims. Did you find out if the Mopar Black Noise was a perfect match?
I just got home from out of town. I have the black noise touch up paint here.
Just need to study up a bit on how to apply it correctly and go get some mineral spirits.

Users who are viewing this thread