5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's Your RAM story?

tones2SS

Reaction score
I got into trucks when I got a new job after the 2008 recession. It was second shift. My first second shift job ever. (I lucked out as it only lasted about 6 months and then moved onto day shift.)
So, I figured I might as well buy myself a truck for the winters as I didn't want to get stuck anywhere late at night in the winter time. The first truck ever was a 2005 Ram Daytona 4X4 GoMango rcsb. Man, what a truck. I LOVED that thing.
Which led me to my current/second ever truck, a 2016 Ram Sport 4X4 rcsb truck in Bright White. I'm thinking my next one might a Laramie 1500 G/T. I have a ways to go before I want to order, so that may change. lol

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got into trucks when I got a new job after the 2008 recession. It was second shift. My first second shift job ever. (I lucked out as it only lasted about 6 months and then moved onto day shift.)
So, I figured I might as well buy myself a truck for the winters as I didn't want to get stuck anywhere late at night in the winter time. The first truck ever was a 2005 Ram Daytona 4X4 GoMango rcsb. Man, what a truck. I LOVED that thing.
Which led me to my current/second ever truck, a 2016 Ram Sport 4X4 rcsb truck in Bright White. I'm thinking my next one might a Laramie 1500 G/T. I have a ways to go before I want to order, so that may change. lol

Say is ain't so, somewhat considering leaving the rcsb life?! I still miss mine a lot but these new ones are nice!

tones2SS

Reaction score
Say is ain't so, somewhat considering leaving the rcsb life?! I still miss mine a lot but these new ones are nice!
Unfortunately. Ram doesn't make a rcsb truck anymore. Unless I am aware of it? Not looking to rid of mine for a bit. The toy is getting paid off this year and I'm going to try to start saving some money for a change. lol
We'll see how it goes.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unfortunately. Ram doesn't make a rcsb truck anymore. Unless I am aware of it? Not looking to rid of mine for a bit. The toy is getting paid off this year and I'm going to try to start saving some money for a change. lol
We'll see how it goes.

Not that I'm aware of, unless they still offer the classic in that. I saw a rclb 22 classic posted the other day but I'm not sure about the rcsb configuration. I was just asking since you referenced some interest in the G/T which of course would mean moving into a quad or crew cab.

It's definitely a good "problem" to have, either way you win.

Kaderast

Reaction score
Pretty simple equation for me. I have a Ram/Ford dealer in town. Nearest place to get a GM vehicle serviced is about an hour away. Hour and a half drive to get a Toyota serviced. Not worth it. We bought a 2017 Durango from our local dealer a few years ago and have been treated wonderfully by both sales and service, so decided to purchase local again.

Wife and I test drove an F150 and a Ram. I really wanted to get the new hybrid F150, but wife really liked the Ram. She writes the checks, so I got stuck with a Ram. Such a shame.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of, unless they still offer the classic in that. I saw a rclb 22 classic posted the other day but I'm not sure about the rcsb configuration. I was just asking since you referenced some interest in the G/T which of course would mean moving into a quad or crew cab.

It's definitely a good "problem" to have, either way you win.
If they still made a rcsb in a "Sport" or similar type model, I would definitely go rcsb again.
I like the Ram 2500 truck as as well, but way overkill for what I am using it for. Just for going back and forth to work, shopping and the occasional hanging out. We'll see, I'm going to sit it out a year or two and "try" to save some cash. lol

blind prophet

Reaction score
I had always had Chevys. I know the 5.7 and LS engines, the quirks, and ins and outs. I had always had vehicles that were 10 years old or older. My last truck was a 2003 Silverado RCSB. It was step side with 4.8. It had about 370,000 on the original engine and transmission. It was on it's last leg. I am 43 and tired of working on ****boxes as my sole transportation. I had decided I wanted to get give RAM a chance. My wife and her family have been Dodge and now Ram owners since she was a young kid. I really like the look of them and decided that's the route I would go. I had been reading all the ram forums and getting a feel for what goes wrong with them and what people liked for a while. I was starting to look at used 4th gens but by the time I found one I actually wanted to look at, it would be sold by the time I was able to get time to go look at it. I knew I had to have a CC and 4x4. Well my wife decided she wanted a camper, so I had to step up my looking. Then at the end of October 2021, I finally found a 2020 1500 BTS with 8000 on the clock locally. I had already applied through my credit union so when I found the one I wanted, I could snatch it before someone else did. I texted with the salesman for a couple days and got him to send me pictures that were not on their website. I had the price and all the details negotiated before I went in for the test drive. By the time I got out the parking lot, I knew I was taking it home. It is by far the nicest truck I have owned and I love it every time I drive it.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1st car back in 2002 was a used 96 cadillac that overheated on a trip to vegas, took us 10 hours to make it. I replaced it wth used 94 grand cherokee and between me, my dad, my uncle and two cousins we put about 150k miles on top of what it already had, It was still in the family a few years back. It was sold to local mechanic for $300
Later vehicles were a 2000 lincoln ls and 2002 mitsubishi lanzer.
1st new vehicle was a 2012 jeep compass
One year later a purchase my fixer upper home and i added the roof racks to the compass and started to haul all kind of materials in the compass in and on the roof.
2017 finally decided it was time for a truck as the compass was taking a beating.
Went to check out the silverado, terrible sales team turn me off and decided on a 4gen quad cab 1500.
Last year traded my 4th gen for a 2021 built to serve crew cab 4x4. And transfer over the license plates from the 4th gen to the 5th gen
Chrysler has serve my family very well since around 2004.
My dad used to drive a 2002 grand cherokee that later sold to fix a 2005 grand cherokee that was given to us free becuase of a busted transmission. He still drives it
20180122_183654.jpg 20220109_125843.jpg 20220327_161449.jpg

BNJMN

Reaction score
- 200X s-10 wasn't big enough
- solid it bought 01 f150 supercrew; didn't make 180K before it was rusted out and unreliable
- couldn't find anything I perceived as better so I bought a 12 f150 in 2015.
- it's not had the best service history ( header, rockers/cab corners, 4wd system, etc etc) , and I should be able to sell it about what I paid for it.
- Couldn't buy a chevy based on wife's traverse POS ( trans). Didn't see anything great about the new Tundra.
- Basically left me with Ram, and I had been most interested in them anyway since the ecodiesel came out and the good reviews of the 5th gens. Hoping for 200K + before I spend money like this again.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was a GM guy my entire life and owned nothing but. During the 1990’s-2013 I bought a new Chevy truck every few years. 2013 I was getting ready to buy another new Chevy but just couldn’t like the new body style no matter how I tried. Went across the street and test drove a new Ram in Bighorn trim. That truck definitely caught my attention and I was amazed how far Ram trucks had come. I fell in love. After doing the research I decided I wanted a Laramie a few weeks later I bought one and haven’t looked back since. The styling and interiors are light years ahead of GM trucks and the Hemi is just a blast to drive. In 2017 I special ordered another Laramie. 119,000 miles on it so far and completely trouble free. Just ordered a 2022 Backcountry so really looking forward to the day it’s delivered.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread