5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's Your RAM story?

Gary1243

Reaction score
I for one am fascinated with the stories behind people. It is pretty amazing whether it be your next door neighbor, a church elder, a homeless person, or just a friend when you hear their story what you can learn. What about how you acquired your new Ram? I bet there are some very interesting, even perhaps remarkable stories out there about how you ended up with your Ram? If you don't mind share it. I bet we all will learn something. Here's my story..............

I had no allegiances to any particular brand over the years. I’ve owned one 1981 Ford F150 (well one used ranger for a while but it doesn't count), one 1988 Chevy K2500, and lastly a nice little 2008 Nissan Frontier. All 4x4s and I had good luck with all of them. I generally buy new and keep them for a long time.

In March of 2021 I finally grew tired of being bounced around all the time with my Nissan so decided it might be time to get another truck. At the time I did not realize the supply problems the pandemic was beginning to create with vehicles. Ram won me over this time because of the stellar reviews and to me, great looks. I had pretty specific requirements and am usually very practical (meaning I usually sway towards the less expensive side of things when I can). In mid-March of 2021 they still had the 6-10k rebate programs going on. Our local dealer had about 70 trucks in stock. Almost all were those ghastly night or sport editions:)! And loaded with about 10k of options I didn’t want. Must haves at first were a Bighorn 1500, black or burgundy, etorque V8, 33 gallon tank, chrome package (what can I say I’m Old), power trailer mirrors for my very narrow and very short garage, 3.92 rear axle, running boards, tow package, and level 2 package (blind spot monitoring a must for me). No surprise to most of you out there, but that was difficult (and in some cases impossible) to find anywhere as I soon found out Bighorns did not come with power folding trailer mirrors. The local dealer said he had to order and would only do MSRP without any guaranteed rebates. Well to me that was a bit of a gamble so I declined (it ended up being a pretty smart choice unknowingly to me at the time). He also didn’t want to waste time helping me find something on a dealer trade because it wasn’t out there.

Long story made even longer……After several weeks of scouring the websites and numerous phone calls to about every dealer west of the Mississippi i struck out. Well, not completely, as they all had something they wanted to sell me at a price I was not willing to pay. After several weeks of this I ended up finding two, 1500’s at a dealer 60 miles away. One black and one white, both had the exact specifics I wanted plus more , even the chrome package that apparently no one wants these days. But the down side was they were Laramies. Which at the time violated every principle I had for a truck (luxury and exceeding 50k). Never even looked at one before. They had them both priced at 51K (No sales tax in Or). I called and they were both still on the lot so I drove there. I had driven to dealers before but the truck for sale always ended up being a phantom truck (didn't know dealers did that before). When I pulled into the lot I saw them immediately parked side by side in a completely separate area. A white with chrome package Laramie and an identical diamond black with chrome package. It was love at first sight. The salesman gave me the keys to both and said go knock your socks off. It took like 10 seconds and I was hooked. So called the wife and told her a potential change in my plans about a truck and the 51k price tag and she gave me the green light. When I got back the salesman said they had a problem. They had previously made a dealer trade on the black one. Without going into too much detail I started very firmly (and perhaps loudly) questioning their tactics and after a few minutes the manager told me that they just switched the white one to the dealer trade and I could gave the black one.

In the end I guess they just wanted to get rid of that black, chrome eyesore! I still had to suffer through the obligatory financial paperwork hell where they tried to run it up to 61k (MSRP was 58k), but in the end I drove off the lot with it at 51k.........a year later BEST truck I have ever owned by far. I hope to have it for many years.

Gary

56 Pontiac

Reaction score
My story is simple. When I moved back to Florida from Hawaii, we lived (where wife had settled) in Bradenton and I got a job in Fort Myers. Wanted something cheap and easy on gas for the ~200 mile round trip daily commute. Did NOT want a rice-burning ****box, thought a pickup might be useful so I bought a new 1997 Chevy S-10 4 cyl. 5-speed stick.
In 2002 I upsized to a new Dakota quad cab. In 2012 I upsized again to a new Titan. And finally (mostly wanting modern conveniences like bluetooth phone and USB tunes) my final upsizing to my new 2022 Ram Bighorn.

So that's it for my trucks, started small and gradually worked my way up to the top :)

Dave

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
i was a ford person since I got my driver's license. wife was driving a dodge mini van. then in 1994 I saw the new dodge ram and told the wife we need one of those. but we needed an extended cab so we had to wait until 1995. we ordered one in nov 1994 a 2500 but the dealer said the wait might be awhile as it was the first year of the club cab. and they were back logged. it came in march 1995. I drove that truck everywhere. that truck had all kinds of issues, spark plugs wires had to be re-located because of cross firing, a tsb was issued. the radiator was too small to pull a 9k fifth wheel over heating an issue until the radiator was replaced. I had a shift kit installed and the transmission shop recommended they pull the transmission apart because they had seen others put together incorrect. in the clutch packs instead of friction disk and then steal plate they were two clutch disks back to back. in two places. but all in all I kept that truck until the obd one computer died and no one could find a replacement, because of the chip shortage.

Wife was concerned I would not want a 1500 but we do not have a fifth wheel any more and all I wanted was a truck. so we went for it. good thing we did we are very happy with how it all turned out.

Mopar4u

Reaction score
Brand loyalty

im 47, never registered or owned any other brand besides chrysler. I go back to the k car days. Had to buy my 2022 cause i rolled my 2005 reg cab short box. Came away without a bruise or scratch, was warned how sore id be the coming days, didnt have any soreness. I loved that truck, RIP

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bought an 04 Laramie in March 2004. First brand new vehicle ever, second truck. Owned that up to 2016 when I bought my Promaster City. Regretted selling it, but oh well. Love my City, but was yearning for another truck. Traded in my wife’s Buick Regal T-Type because she no longer drives. Bought in April of 2021, I guess you could say this was my mid life crisis purchase…I turned 50 in January.

Dealer gave me 13k trade in for the Regal, I put down 8500 and financed the rest. Bank gave me 2.6% apr on my loan, and I try to pay more than the required amount every month. After years of rebuilding my credit, I am at a point where finances are not an issue anymore. Am lucky to have the job I do, happily married, 2 beautiful step daughters and 6 amazing grandkids that all live on the mainland.

Never considered myself brand loyal, I just like how the RAM’s look, even my City. Was actually looking at a Chevy Colorado ZR-1 with a diesel. Just too small for me. Nice drive, but couldn’t stand the window size also. Am glad I went with the RAM.

Drove Honda Accords and Civic’s, a couple of Toyota’s before the Laramie. Personally now, can’t stand Toyota’s mainly because all dealerships on island are run by one company. No dealing, no negotiating price. You pay what is posted. Can’t go to another lot and compare, because they all owned by the same guy. That and, it’s as if every garage in Hawaii has at least one Toyota in it. My neighbor has 3 Tacoma’s, plus a Corolla and a RAV4.

Having this truck now is totally impractical, which is why I kept my City.
But the ride comparison is night and day, and my back thanks me for getting back into a comfortable ride. My City gets me around to do shopping, errands etc. Truck is everything else.

Cool thread.
I too enjoy a good story, also like telling a good story, just not many will listen to it, lol.
Appreciate it!

wvinson

Reaction score
Was a good 'ole reliable Tacoma guy until I need a bigger and heavier truck to pull my Ag wagons. I thought the '14 Ram sport was the best looking truck on the road. I drove it and 4 Rams later, I'm in my '22 Limited and have never looked back.

Gary1243

Reaction score
Bought an 04 Laramie in March 2004. First brand new vehicle ever, second truck. Owned that up to 2016 when I bought my Promaster City. Regretted selling it, but oh well. Love my City, but was yearning for another truck. Traded in my wife’s Buick Regal T-Type because she no longer drives. Bought in April of 2021, I guess you could say this was my mid life crisis purchase…I turned 50 in January.

Dealer gave me 13k trade in for the Regal, I put down 8500 and financed the rest. Bank gave me 2.6% apr on my loan, and I try to pay more than the required amount every month. After years of rebuilding my credit, I am at a point where finances are not an issue anymore. Am lucky to have the job I do, happily married, 2 beautiful step daughters and 6 amazing grandkids that all live on the mainland.

Never considered myself brand loyal, I just like how the RAM’s look, even my City. Was actually looking at a Chevy Colorado ZR-1 with a diesel. Just too small for me. Nice drive, but couldn’t stand the window size also. Am glad I went with the RAM.

Drove Honda Accords and Civic’s, a couple of Toyota’s before the Laramie. Personally now, can’t stand Toyota’s mainly because all dealerships on island are run by one company. No dealing, no negotiating price. You pay what is posted. Can’t go to another lot and compare, because they all owned by the same guy. That and, it’s as if every garage in Hawaii has at least one Toyota in it. My neighbor has 3 Tacoma’s, plus a Corolla and a RAV4.

Having this truck now is totally impractical, which is why I kept my City.
But the ride comparison is night and day, and my back thanks me for getting back into a comfortable ride. My City gets me around to do shopping, errands etc. Truck is everything else.

Cool thread.
I too enjoy a good story, also like telling a good story, just not many will listen to it, lol.
Appreciate it!
Well done. I’ve enjoyed all the responses. It is just fun reading everybody’s experiences. Love Hawaii by the way!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Raised GM, first vehicle I bought after joining Navy was a 93 S-10 2.8 V6 5-speesd. Drive that for three years. In that time, the redesigned Dodge Dakota came out in 97. Loved the body style and knew I wanted one. Then in 98 the Dakota R/T was released and definitely knew I was getting one. Came home on leave in 98 before my first deployment and went shopping. Test drive a couple Dakota R/Ts. Found local dealer that offered $500 over invoice before we ever even sat down to talk options. Built one in the system and left with a hand shake guarantee that my dad would be stopping back at dealer in a few months to place the order so truck would be built and delivered before I returned off deployment. Came home to a brand new 1999 Dodge Dakota R/T. Have been a Mopar guy since then. I totaled that truck just after paying off the 3 year loan and putting 120k miles on it. Bought a 2000 Dakota R/T to replace it and still have that truck in my garage. Have also owned a 07 Dodge Caliber(2nd brand new vehicle), that got bought back as lemon, 05 Town and Country (family started), traded that for a 08 Charger SE+ 3.5l(ex-wife kept in divorce, the totaled) 92 Dodge Daytona IROC(totaled from tree limb falling on it), 91 Spirit R/T(got tired of fixing it) 05 AWD Magnum R/T(sold to buy my Ram), and 1966 Dodge D100(currently in garage). When Ram announced the Built to Serve editions, being retired Navy, I knew I wanted one. Especially being limited edition. Never thought I would sell my Magnum, but wanted the Built to Serve more. As soon as the Navy editions we're announced, I started calling dealers. Had a deposit down for one that I only knew the color of. Dealer couldn't tell me when it was going to arrive, but they had a patriot blue one I test drove. Saw others getting Thiers so looked at other dealers. Found another one with options I wanted at sister dealer to one I had deposit at, but they refused to work with original dealer despite being under same owner, and also couldn't tell me when it would be delivered. Then found one at a third dealer a little further away. They had one with all the options I wanted and said it was sitting in railyard waiting to get delivered to dealer. Said they could have it by end of week and wound ask to expedite the delivery. Called me the next day to say it was at dealership. Drive up there right away, and they hadn't even got it through PDI and salesman handed me keyfob and let me take it for a drive. Did all the paperwork and drove it home that day.

Gary1243

Reaction score
Raised GM, first vehicle I bought after joining Navy was a 93 S-10 2.8 V6 5-speesd. Drive that for three years. In that time, the redesigned Dodge Dakota came out in 97. Loved the body style and knew I wanted one. Then in 98 the Dakota R/T was released and definitely knew I was getting one. Came home on leave in 98 before my first deployment and went shopping. Test drive a couple Dakota R/Ts. Found local dealer that offered $500 over invoice before we ever even sat down to talk options. Built one in the system and left with a hand shake guarantee that my dad would be stopping back at dealer in a few months to place the order so truck would be built and delivered before I returned off deployment. Came home to a brand new 1999 Dodge Dakota R/T. Have been a Mopar guy since then. I totaled that truck just after paying off the 3 year loan and putting 120k miles on it. Bought a 2000 Dakota R/T to replace it and still have that truck in my garage. Have also owned a 07 Dodge Caliber(2nd brand new vehicle), that got bought back as lemon, 05 Town and Country (family started), traded that for a 08 Charger SE+ 3.5l(ex-wife kept in divorce, the totaled) 92 Dodge Daytona IROC(totaled from tree limb falling on it), 91 Spirit R/T(got tired of fixing it) 05 AWD Magnum R/T(sold to buy my Ram), and 1966 Dodge D100(currently in garage). When Ram announced the Built to Serve editions, being retired Navy, I knew I wanted one. Especially being limited edition. Never thought I would sell my Magnum, but wanted the Built to Serve more. As soon as the Navy editions we're announced, I started calling dealers. Had a deposit down for one that I only knew the color of. Dealer couldn't tell me when it was going to arrive, but they had a patriot blue one I test drove. Saw others getting Thiers so looked at other dealers. Found another one with options I wanted at sister dealer to one I had deposit at, but they refused to work with original dealer despite being under same owner, and also couldn't tell me when it would be delivered. Then found one at a third dealer a little further away. They had one with all the options I wanted and said it was sitting in railyard waiting to get delivered to dealer. Said they could have it by end of week and wound ask to expedite the delivery. Called me the next day to say it was at dealership. Drive up there right away, and they hadn't even got it through PDI and salesman handed me keyfob and let me take it for a drive. Did all the paperwork and drove it home that day.
okay…I got to ask. How do you put 120,000 miles on a vehicle in 3 years? Enjoyed the read. Best of luck to you!

Cajun_

Reaction score
hurricane destroyed my Silverado that my dad gave me as a graduation gift. GM all looked like ***, Toyota was last updated over a decade ago, Ford wanted me to buy a truck before it reached the dealership for 10k over sticker. Went look at a ram power wagon and left with a 1500. The limited was cheaper than any thing else on the lot with leather. The end.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
okay…I got to ask. How do you put 120,000 miles on a vehicle in 3 years? Enjoyed the read. Best of luck to you!
Drive it everywhere. California to Nebraska twice a year and back. California to Ann Arbor Michigan, then Niagra Falls, and back to Cali once. Phoenix, Az a couple times. At least once a month driving three hours to go to drag strip. Almost every weekend was out "cruising". I buy my vehicles to enjoy driving, not to sit in garage looking pretty. Was young and single at the time. Did the math a d it averaged out to about 700 miles a week. Was doing oil changes about once a month, go through a set of tires about every 6 months, with tire rotations every oil change.

Last edited:

Jgbstetson

Reaction score
Two kids and road trips have rise to the need for a truck. I had a Tacoma but was very let down by quality and performance. I actually had a deposit down on the new tundra, but the longer I looked at it....I just couldn't. That and the fact that you got so much more for your money with a RAM. Also very disappointing that you cannot build your own Tundra.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While I'm not a MOPAR-only guy, most of my vehicles have been MOPARs. AMC Eagle, Chrylser Lebaron GTS, Ford Explorer 2Dr (with a stick!), Jeep Grand Cherokee (2), Chrysler Sebring (2-bought off my father) and Mazda 3. My father and I also bought an F150 in 1996 that we still have and share. The Ram is the first vehicle I'd bought new since 1995.

My wife and I have been looking at RVs for years and in late 2020, finally found the one, a Lance 2075. It was new and roughly 25% off MSRP--the dealership was changing directions and going to the smaller towables and just needed to move it. We went to look at it in our 2015 Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel and decided we liked it. But, being the cautious type, the dealer wouldn't sell it to us if we were going to pull it with the GC. I didn't know a lot about towing this size trailer at the time so I was a little miffed, but not angry (I later appreciated his guidance to look at a half-ton pickup.) We went home, a roughly three hour drive and I started researching trucks and lined up my cousin to help me go back and get the travel trailer with his F350. This was all in December 2020.

Once we got the camper home, I continued my research on trucks, compiling spreadsheets, just as I'd done with the camper. I spoke briefly with my local Ram dealer and test drove a truck there. I really liked the looks of the Ram and the 5th Gen over the Classic. My wife did part of the test drive and liked it as well. We test drove a hemi but based on my positive experience with the Jeep's ED, I wanted to go that route again, especially if the engine had been improved. When they got a Ram ED in, I asked about the price and it was MSRP less applicable incentives--something I think everyone here has heard before. Well, during all this, I'd been doing research on this forum and found the thread about getting the best price. So I reached out to Aaron at Mark Dodge last February and sent a list of the options I wanted and asked for a quote. I was shocked when he came back at something like 16-17% off MSRP (including $2250 in incentives.) I didn't even bother to haggle. Shortly after that we did the deposit and paperwork thing. A couple weeks later, before the truck had gone into D1, I had him add the Technology Package, which he was able to do. Then, the wait began. Aaron told me to expect 10-12 weeks, putting it at mid-July at the earliest. I managed to only bug him once for a status update. Originally, I was leaning towards a Laramie and hoping to minimize the net cost, but a good trade-in offer and great price from Aaron, allowed us to go up to the Limited.

Mid-July rolls around and I get "the call" while sitting at my computer on a Wednesday. Aaron's letting me know the truck is in. "This is perfect," I'm thinking. My wife is going to the beach with her sister's family on Thursday, I can let my parents watch the dogs and I'll drive down on Friday and bring it back on Saturday. The drive is roughly 12-13 hours each way. Well, my wife gets home and says "I'm not comfortable driving to the beach alone. Can you drive me?" Note that this beach is five hours from us and not in the direction of Lake Charles (Mark Dodge.) I was put off but not totally surprised because between us and the beach are several stretches of interstate where people drive like maniacs and there are a few interchanges she's not comfortable with (she's not tech savvy in terms of navigation systems.) Anyway, I told her I'd take her on one condition. From there (the South Carolina coast) we're driving to Louisiana to get the truck and then bringing it home--with our dogs. She agreed.

So, we went and did the beach thing, then at 11:00 on Monday (her sisters family is slow to get going in the morning) we headed out to Lake Charles--13 hours away. Traffic was horrible from roughly Savannah to Jacksonville but not as bad once we started travelling west. Still, with our late start, we made it only to Pensacola before my wife wanted to stop. We'd covered about eight hours, so obviously we weren't going to arrive at the dealership that day anyway, so we looked for a hotel. Sadly, the only thing we could find nearby that accepted pets was a Red Roof Inn that wasn't in the best condition. This was the first time we'd taken our dogs (beagles) into a motel and it's a weird feeling. It felt like we were breaking the rules and no one watching seemed to care. Anyway, we survived the night and hit the road again the next morning. We only had a five hour drive, but for some reason that now eludes me, we didn't reach Mark Dodge until mid-afternoon. I do remember slowing down for cloudbursts, and of course letting the dogs and wife stop at a rest area.

I texted when we were maybe 30 minutes away and when we arrived, Aaron was outside to greet us. He knew what vehicle we'd be in since we were trading and I'd sent him pictures. He gave me the walkthrough/walkaround of the new truck. Since it was pretty warm (mid-July on the gulf) my wife and dogs stayed in the Jeep with the A/C running. We quickly finalized the paperwork--most had been done via email--and began to shift stuff from the Jeep to the truck. Despite the Ram having a generous back seat, it was packed tight because we didn't want to use the uncovered bed for any of our stuff. As we removed the last of the items from the Jeep, some Mark Dodge guys descended on it like a NASCAR pit crew. I think they practically had it pre-sold as it had been on their website for a week or so as "coming soon."

We made it only to the Baton Rouge area before stopping for the night--traffic was really bad. This time we found a nice La Quinta and the wife was much happier. The next day, we (well, I) was determined to make it home without another stop, outside of rest areas. Again, the actual time was much slower than the estimated time provided by the GPS because our rest area stops were pretty long. Still, aside from more cloudbursts along the gulf and a nervous stretch through Atlanta (in our brand new truck) we made it home late that night, safely.

Just a couple months later, we took it on a drive to see some "area" national parks we'd not visited yet--part of our "see them all" bucket list item. After that trip, we determined that in the first couple months of ownership, the truck had already been through ten states, three national parks, and taken the trailer on two trips. Not a bad start.

We loved the Jeep but in hindsight, we'd have had little to no payload when pulling the camper and the truck makes for a more stable towing experience. If I'd have realized how much of a swiss army knife this truck is, I'd have gotten it much sooner.

It's not the most interesting story, but I agree with the OPs assertion that in some ways every story is interesting. Whenever I'm in an airport, I watch all the people go by and know that they have just as many good/bad stories as me and our paths may never cross again. Or, maybe they will in some random place and time.

Gary1243

Reaction score
While I'm not a MOPAR-only guy, most of my vehicles have been MOPARs. AMC Eagle, Chrylser Lebaron GTS, Ford Explorer 2Dr (with a stick!), Jeep Grand Cherokee (2), Chrysler Sebring (2-bought off my father) and Mazda 3. My father and I also bought an F150 in 1996 that we still have and share. The Ram is the first vehicle I'd bought new since 1995.

My wife and I have been looking at RVs for years and in late 2020, finally found the one, a Lance 2075. It was new and roughly 25% off MSRP--the dealership was changing directions and going to the smaller towables and just needed to move it. We went to look at it in our 2015 Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel and decided we liked it. But, being the cautious type, the dealer wouldn't sell it to us if we were going to pull it with the GC. I didn't know a lot about towing this size trailer at the time so I was a little miffed, but not angry (I later appreciated his guidance to look at a half-ton pickup.) We went home, a roughly three hour drive and I started researching trucks and lined up my cousin to help me go back and get the travel trailer with his F350. This was all in December 2020.

Once we got the camper home, I continued my research on trucks, compiling spreadsheets, just as I'd done with the camper. I spoke briefly with my local Ram dealer and test drove a truck there. I really liked the looks of the Ram and the 5th Gen over the Classic. My wife did part of the test drive and liked it as well. We test drove a hemi but based on my positive experience with the Jeep's ED, I wanted to go that route again, especially if the engine had been improved. When they got a Ram ED in, I asked about the price and it was MSRP less applicable incentives--something I think everyone here has heard before. Well, during all this, I'd been doing research on this forum and found the thread about getting the best price. So I reached out to Aaron at Mark Dodge last February and sent a list of the options I wanted and asked for a quote. I was shocked when he came back at something like 16-17% off MSRP (including $2250 in incentives.) I didn't even bother to haggle. Shortly after that we did the deposit and paperwork thing. A couple weeks later, before the truck had gone into D1, I had him add the Technology Package, which he was able to do. Then, the wait began. Aaron told me to expect 10-12 weeks, putting it at mid-July at the earliest. I managed to only bug him once for a status update. Originally, I was leaning towards a Laramie and hoping to minimize the net cost, but a good trade-in offer and great price from Aaron, allowed us to go up to the Limited.

Mid-July rolls around and I get "the call" while sitting at my computer on a Wednesday. Aaron's letting me know the truck is in. "This is perfect," I'm thinking. My wife is going to the beach with her sister's family on Thursday, I can let my parents watch the dogs and I'll drive down on Friday and bring it back on Saturday. The drive is roughly 12-13 hours each way. Well, my wife gets home and says "I'm not comfortable driving to the beach alone. Can you drive me?" Note that this beach is five hours from us and not in the direction of Lake Charles (Mark Dodge.) I was put off but not totally surprised because between us and the beach are several stretches of interstate where people drive like maniacs and there are a few interchanges she's not comfortable with (she's not tech savvy in terms of navigation systems.) Anyway, I told her I'd take her on one condition. From there (the South Carolina coast) we're driving to Louisiana to get the truck and then bringing it home--with our dogs. She agreed.

So, we went and did the beach thing, then at 11:00 on Monday (her sisters family is slow to get going in the morning) we headed out to Lake Charles--13 hours away. Traffic was horrible from roughly Savannah to Jacksonville but not as bad once we started travelling west. Still, with our late start, we made it only to Pensacola before my wife wanted to stop. We'd covered about eight hours, so obviously we weren't going to arrive at the dealership that day anyway, so we looked for a hotel. Sadly, the only thing we could find nearby that accepted pets was a Red Roof Inn that wasn't in the best condition. This was the first time we'd taken our dogs (beagles) into a motel and it's a weird feeling. It felt like we were breaking the rules and no one watching seemed to care. Anyway, we survived the night and hit the road again the next morning. We only had a five hour drive, but for some reason that now eludes me, we didn't reach Mark Dodge until mid-afternoon. I do remember slowing down for cloudbursts, and of course letting the dogs and wife stop at a rest area.

I texted when we were maybe 30 minutes away and when we arrived, Aaron was outside to greet us. He knew what vehicle we'd be in since we were trading and I'd sent him pictures. He gave me the walkthrough/walkaround of the new truck. Since it was pretty warm (mid-July on the gulf) my wife and dogs stayed in the Jeep with the A/C running. We quickly finalized the paperwork--most had been done via email--and began to shift stuff from the Jeep to the truck. Despite the Ram having a generous back seat, it was packed tight because we didn't want to use the uncovered bed for any of our stuff. As we removed the last of the items from the Jeep, some Mark Dodge guys descended on it like a NASCAR pit crew. I think they practically had it pre-sold as it had been on their website for a week or so as "coming soon."

We made it only to the Baton Rouge area before stopping for the night--traffic was really bad. This time we found a nice La Quinta and the wife was much happier. The next day, we (well, I) was determined to make it home without another stop, outside of rest areas. Again, the actual time was much slower than the estimated time provided by the GPS because our rest area stops were pretty long. Still, aside from more cloudbursts along the gulf and a nervous stretch through Atlanta (in our brand new truck) we made it home late that night, safely.

Just a couple months later, we took it on a drive to see some "area" national parks we'd not visited yet--part of our "see them all" bucket list item. After that trip, we determined that in the first couple months of ownership, the truck had already been through ten states, three national parks, and taken the trailer on two trips. Not a bad start.

We loved the Jeep but in hindsight, we'd have had little to no payload when pulling the camper and the truck makes for a more stable towing experience. If I'd have realized how much of a swiss army knife this truck is, I'd have gotten it much sooner.

It's not the most interesting story, but I agree with the OPs assertion that in some ways every story is interesting. Whenever I'm in an airport, I watch all the people go by and know that they have just as many good/bad stories as me and our paths may never cross again. Or, maybe they will in some random place and time.
Reading your story sure made me smile. I enjoyed it!

Users who are viewing this thread