5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the No. 1 thing that disappointed you the most about your truck ?

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
- No 360 "top down" view

I honestly believe the 8spd ZF is the best truck transmission going in the half tons.

You know there is a 360 top down view camera option, right? You just didn't get it in your truck.

I've been driving an F150 for 3 weeks now while my truck has been in the shop ('cause I backed into a pole). I think the 10-speed in the F150 is nicer than the RAM transmission. It is at least as smooth and it responds to requests for moderate acceleration much more quickly/nicely.

I have the 3.92 rear end in my truck. Same as I had in my '09. My '09 had a 6-speed tranny and I could kind of understand turning higher RPMs while cruising at normal Interstate speeds (i.e. 80 MPH). I really thought with the 8-speed they would have the gears spaced out better so that I could still have good take-off power for towing (with the 3.92), but also still have a decently tall 8th gear so that I could cruise at 80 and not be turning 2200 RPMs (and thus, guzzling down the gas).

Fidomac

Reaction score
They made the cabin quieter but they forgot to work on the squeaky console :LOL:
They will replace the console lid if you complain... the new lid appears to be a little heavier and better constructed and doesn't squeak at all

Geobound

Reaction score
You know there is a 360 top down view camera option, right? You just didn't get it in your truck.

I've been driving an F150 for 3 weeks now while my truck has been in the shop ('cause I backed into a pole). I think the 10-speed in the F150 is nicer than the RAM transmission. It is at least as smooth and it responds to requests for moderate acceleration much more quickly/nicely.

I have the 3.92 rear end in my truck. Same as I had in my '09. My '09 had a 6-speed tranny and I could kind of understand turning higher RPMs while cruising at normal Interstate speeds (i.e. 80 MPH). I really thought with the 8-speed they would have the gears spaced out better so that I could still have good take-off power for towing (with the 3.92), but also still have a decently tall 8th gear so that I could cruise at 80 and not be turning 2200 RPMs (and thus, guzzling down the gas).

You know there's a backup camera for these, right?? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

What's your overall opinion on the F150 then? Aside from you liking the transmission better, is there enough in it for you to regret your purchase??

Consider an F150 next time around?

I half arsed looked at an F150, but really bang for you buck says Ram 1500 all the way.

Phiefer

Reaction score
I've had my Limited for a year now. 8700 miles. My biggest issue is the autonomous rear braking. I have issues with the braking going off when I back out of a driveway with an average slope down to a level street. Does not happen on my driveway, but many others.
I finally took the truck to my dealer and after taking a ride with the service manager who experienced the problem, he mentioned how low the sensors are mounted below the rear bumper and doubted a fix would be possible. After hearing this the rear autonomous braking is my main dislike!

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What's your overall opinion on the F150 then? Aside from you liking the transmission better, is there enough in it for you to regret your purchase??

I half arsed looked at an F150, but really bang for you buck says Ram 1500 all the way.
I'm coming from 18 years of Ford trucks and the F-150 was the only thing on my mind when I was replacing my F-250 when it got totaled (not my fault). I sat in a Lariat and was uninspired. It had some nice touches but didn't have the personality I was looking for. I never even took it for a test drive as I knew, no matter how great the drivetrain was, I would not be happy. I'm not a fan of the Tundra styling and I won't buy a GM truck (personal preference and experience).

Every vehicle will have its shortcomings and issues. The only truck I knew that I would look forward to getting back from the service department was the RAM.

For my next vehicle I'll start the process over again and see what's out there as who knows what things will be like 10 years from now. Maybe it's a Ram, maybe it's a Ford...who knows?

Just my .02

Lit_AF

Hardware Geek - Pro Detailer
Reaction score
The biggest disappointment is the poor paint quality (orange peel) and the poor panel fitment (grill alignment, door gaps, etc.). I didn't really notice the paint quality and fitment issues until I had the truck for a couple weeks. If I had noticed them when I bought it; then I probably would not have bought it. I'm still frustrated by a couple mechanical things, but I really do love the ride and comfort of the truck.

Even brand new Ferrari's got orange peel.
It's part of the production of any car nowadays, and guess what, many painters say its completely fine to get a new car with orange peel, it doesn't chip during shipping etc.
Only way to achieve no orange peel is by wet sanding, and more sanding. Let alone panels with minor imperfections that would just add to cost of any car manufacturer.
Dealers have a way to measure orange peel. My new Rebel had insane orange peel on the hood with little micro bubbles from factory, they had to repaint it and reduce $3,000 from the total price.

When it comes to alignments I totally agree with this, by today's standards / tolerance, this shouldn't be a thing anymore. Everything is laser aligned by default.
My truck did 5,000~km (3,100 miles~) and the tail gate cracks and pops when lowered. When I turn the truck on, a huge pop can be heard, couldn't find what is it.
The passenger mini glove box light is on all the time too lol :LOL: Transmission downshifting from 2 to 1 lunges forward, list goes on.

Can't wait for the first oil change at dealer so I can report all those issues.
Won't complain when you get 5 years warranty (which soon will be voided haha :p) and 5 year maintenance service including brake pads and battery.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's not RAM specific but I would have liked to see someone (other than KIA) go to a longer factory B to B warranty. The 3/36 goes so quickly, in my case the 3 years is up before the miles. Then you get to have paid $1500-2,000 for an extension that just adds a couple years (since they start from the day it was placed into service). To me, if I pay for a 5 yr 75K factory extended warranty that should be 5 years and 75K past where I bought it, not just adding 2 years and 29K miles... That's my grrr.
I'm aware that these warranties are a high-profit item but honestly, with all the tech in these trucks, its scary to not have something.

SAURKRT

Reaction score
The proximity FOB that does not unlock the door when approaching the truck just bugs me.

Not sure I understand.

You have the keyless entry, and you can't just walk up, grab the handle and have the door unlock? How do you unlock it?

SAURKRT

Reaction score

Not available in the Laramie unless you get Level 2 Equipment, which requires you to get E-Torque, which precludes you from adding a Whipple SC. So, not an option for me.

Klute

Reaction score
Not sure I understand.

You have the keyless entry, and you can't just walk up, grab the handle and have the door unlock? How do you unlock it?

100% correct. The handle does not have the little button that you push with keyless prox entry. It's an additional option that I ASSumed that's how it worked in test drive. My fault, I should have researched the options in depth before purchase.

Raydar

Reaction score
I hate the "auto park" thing, when you're trying to back up with the door open.
I get it. It's a "safety" feature. But there should be an "interlock" button that you can press, before you shift into reverse, in order to defeat that system, if you're going to have the door open. Some people use these things on farms and stuff, and actually LOOKING where you're backing is a requirement.

My A/C is not stellar, but it's never left me sweating in 90+ degree summer (in Atlanta) heat. I've read the "heater hose valve" posts, but I'm not ready to commit to doing that, just yet.

.... the slow down shift to 1st when coming to a stop and then the truck shifting from second when you hit the gas pedal and giving you some whiplash... I think they need to do another shift profile software update for this issue.

Okay. I'm glad it's not just me. It ought to shift to 1st sooner - or stay in 2nd longer.

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not sure I understand.

I think he means it unlocks when he is a couple feet away maybe. IF your hands/arms are full then that might be nice.
Actually, I've noticed that when I hand wash the truck with the fob in my pocket, as I go over the door handle with the sponge/brush it locks and unlocks repeatedly... I don't touch it with my hand, just the wash mitt/soft brush.

Klute

Reaction score
I think he means it unlocks when he is a couple feet away maybe. IF your hands/arms are full then that might be nice.
Actually, I've noticed that when I hand wash the truck with the fob in my pocket, as I go over the door handle with the sponge/brush it locks and unlocks repeatedly... I don't touch it with my hand, just the wash mitt/soft brush.

It's called keyless 'Enter-N-go' option. I only have keyless (lock/unlock/remote start) fob.

derp

Reaction score
I hate that I can't have both Jonesy and Reilly's moms going for a hayride in the back of the rambox at the same time.
Shoresy.jpg

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You know there's a backup camera for these, right?? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ha ha! Yeah... yeah... I was looking at my backup camera. And the pole was dead center behind me. I even clipped the trailer hitch just barely. My excuse is that it was night time. I was backing into a space in front of a convenience store. The lights shining out the front of the store had my backup camera really washed out. And the pole was painted white! It really blended into the background on my screen. Ooops!!!!

Re: The F150. Well, it's not a totally fair comparison. I was driving an F150 XLT, which is almost the lowest trim level. Cloth seats. Small stereo screen. No heated seats. Regular cruise control, but not adaptive. And it was the 5.0V8, not the 3.5EB.

My truck is a Laramie with the Level 2 package, so almost every option RAM offers.

So, with all that said....

I did like the way the engine/tranny package worked in the F150 a little better than the Hemi. It was a lot smoother takeoff from a light. I have eTorque and the process of taking my foot off the brake, engine starting, me getting on the gas seems a lot more jerky than it did in the F150. The F150 had engine start/stop as well. I was very surprised that it was dang near as unobtrusive as the eTorque start/stop. My Hemi and that F150 are the only 2 vehicles I have driven where the stop/start did not bother me at all. My ex's Jeep Cherokee and her 2 Mercedes that she's had/has had/have start/stop and all of them are so annoying I would always turn it off.

All in all, I guess I would rate the F150's engine/tranny as ROUGHLY equal to my truck. EXCEPT, that it was getting 2 - 3 MPG better fuel economy (according to its onboard computer). That definitely puts it a rung higher on my ranking chart.

The F150's ride was not as pillowy soft going down the road as my truck with the air suspension. But, the F150 felt a little more taut when turning. Driving the F150 has convinced me to get the Hellwig sway bar that everybody on here is raving about. If I can keep my pillowy ride and also have it feel more taut/planted in the turns, that will make me pretty happy.

The F150 had the center seat with fold-down armrest storage. Not a big center console like my truck. Of course, I did not like that as well.

The back seat area of the F150 was smaller. More like the size of the back seat area in my old '09 RAM - except that the seats folded up to leave a total flat area (unlike my '09). That just reminded me that I really wish RAM had left that alone. I would rather have the back seat area be smaller, like the '09 was. Then I would have been more inclined to get a 6'4" bed. But, I drove one and with the overall 13" of extra length, compared to my '09 with a 5'7" bed, I just did not like it. It "drove" too long for me.

Will I go back to Ford for my next truck? I HIGHLY doubt it. I had only Fords for about 20 years before I got my '09 RAM. I will probably be looking to trade my current truck in 2 or 3 years - either for a diesel or a better gas engine. I highly doubt that Ford will catch up in all the areas where they are currently behind by then. 5+ years from now? Who knows. I'm not really a brand loyalist. When it's time for a new truck, I will always consider every option and buy what I like best, regardless of brand.

I've had my Limited for a year now. 8700 miles. My biggest issue is the autonomous rear braking. I have issues with the braking going off when I back out of a driveway with an average slope down to a level street. Does not happen on my driveway, but many others.

There is another thread on here where someone else posted that they complained to their dealer about exactly what you said - braking just from backing out of a driveway - and the dealer replaced some module with an updated version that pretty much fixed their problem.

I have the same issue - which is why I turned off auto-braking and then ended up backing into a pole. I am going to see about getting the updated module put in my truck at my next service.

derp

Reaction score
Ha ha! Yeah... yeah... I was looking at my backup camera. And the pole was dead center behind me. I even clipped the trailer hitch just barely. My excuse is that it was night time. I was backing into a space in front of a convenience store. The lights shining out the front of the store had my backup camera really washed out. And the pole was painted white! It really blended into the background on my screen. Ooops!!!!

Re: The F150. Well, it's not a totally fair comparison. I was driving an F150 XLT, which is almost the lowest trim level. Cloth seats. Small stereo screen. No heated seats. Regular cruise control, but not adaptive. And it was the 5.0V8, not the 3.5EB.

My truck is a Laramie with the Level 2 package, so almost every option RAM offers.

So, with all that said....

I did like the way the engine/tranny package worked in the F150 a little better than the Hemi. It was a lot smoother takeoff from a light. I have eTorque and the process of taking my foot off the brake, engine starting, me getting on the gas seems a lot more jerky than it did in the F150. The F150 had engine start/stop as well. I was very surprised that it was dang near as unobtrusive as the eTorque start/stop. My Hemi and that F150 are the only 2 vehicles I have driven where the stop/start did not bother me at all. My ex's Jeep Cherokee and her 2 Mercedes that she's had/has had/have start/stop and all of them are so annoying I would always turn it off.

All in all, I guess I would rate the F150's engine/tranny as ROUGHLY equal to my truck. EXCEPT, that it was getting 2 - 3 MPG better fuel economy (according to its onboard computer). That definitely puts it a rung higher on my ranking chart.

The F150's ride was not as pillowy soft going down the road as my truck with the air suspension. But, the F150 felt a little more taut when turning. Driving the F150 has convinced me to get the Hellwig sway bar that everybody on here is raving about. If I can keep my pillowy ride and also have it feel more taut/planted in the turns, that will make me pretty happy.

The F150 had the center seat with fold-down armrest storage. Not a big center console like my truck. Of course, I did not like that as well.

The back seat area of the F150 was smaller. More like the size of the back seat area in my old '09 RAM - except that the seats folded up to leave a total flat area (unlike my '09). That just reminded me that I really wish RAM had left that alone. I would rather have the back seat area be smaller, like the '09 was. Then I would have been more inclined to get a 6'4" bed. But, I drove one and with the overall 13" of extra length, compared to my '09 with a 5'7" bed, I just did not like it. It "drove" too long for me.

Will I go back to Ford for my next truck? I HIGHLY doubt it. I had only Fords for about 20 years before I got my '09 RAM. I will probably be looking to trade my current truck in 2 or 3 years - either for a diesel or a better gas engine. I highly doubt that Ford will catch up in all the areas where they are currently behind by then. 5+ years from now? Who knows. I'm not really a brand loyalist. When it's time for a new truck, I will always consider every option and buy what I like best, regardless of brand.

There is another thread on here where someone else posted that they complained to their dealer about exactly what you said - braking just from backing out of a driveway - and the dealer replaced some module with an updated version that pretty much fixed their problem.

I have the same issue - which is why I turned off auto-braking and then ended up backing into a pole. I am going to see about getting the updated module put in my truck at my next service.

I had to disable rear collision to back out of a friend's driveway, and it certainly has no half measures on getting a perfect back in. when she brakes, it's ALL THE WAY. even when I expect it the loud and jarring nature of the automatic braking is unsettling.

my wife is not happy with adaptive cruise control's coarse management of follow distance. she says it is too "lurching" for her liking.

Firebird

Reaction score
I finally took the truck to my dealer and after taking a ride with the service manager who experienced the problem, he mentioned how low the sensors are mounted below the rear bumper and doubted a fix would be possible. After hearing this the rear autonomous braking is my main dislike!

I hate the braking feature, so I turned it off on my touch screen.

cw_mi

Reaction score
HK stereo apparently has 900watts? Lol oh ok :rollseyes: ...blaringly loud with no substance or bottom. The Alpine had it head and shoulders above this and would shake the mirrors. Apparently there was supposed to be an “amplifier enhancement update” but my dealer couldn’t find it. Ps I’m in Canada. 2019 3500 Laramie with the smaller screen and knobs.

Interesting. I have the H/K system and think it's the best OEM system I've ever heard. In the majority of my past vehicles I had aftermarket systems.
It does seem to differ quite a bit though with the source audio.

Users who are viewing this thread