5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the No. 1 thing that disappointed you the most about your truck ?

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Hmm - couple of things - but the most disappointing?

Lane Keeper/Assist is USELESS.

In my '16 Honda Pilot - it was almost like auto-pilot. As long as you kept your hand lightly on the wheel - it wold keep you centered in the lane, curves and all.

RAM will let you drift out of the lane and just jerk on the wheel.. I find it more annoying than helpful so I leave it off.

Considering HOW GOOD the adaptive cruise control is - the LaneKeep is a serious disappointment.

Rick

Geobound

Reaction score
Hmm - couple of things - but the most disappointing?

Lane Keeper/Assist is USELESS.

In my '16 Honda Pilot - it was almost like auto-pilot. As long as you kept your hand lightly on the wheel - it wold keep you centered in the lane, curves and all.

RAM will let you drift out of the lane and just jerk on the wheel.. I find it more annoying than helpful so I leave it off.

Considering HOW GOOD the adaptive cruise control is - the LaneKeep is a serious disappointment.

Rick

100% agree.

They really shouldn't call it lane keep assist, as it doesn't really assist me at all.

If I drift right and there is a painted line then it will give me a nudge, if I drift left into oncoming traffic and there is a white line I get a nudge, a yellow line gets me nothing and if it's any colour and faded in any way........hello ditch here I come.

joholio

Reaction score
HK stereo apparently has 900watts? Lol oh ok :rollseyes: ...blaringly loud with no substance or bottom. The Alpine had it head and shoulders above this and would shake the mirrors. Apparently there was supposed to be an “amplifier enhancement update” but my dealer couldn’t find it. Ps I’m in Canada. 2019 3500 Laramie with the smaller screen and knobs.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
HK stereo apparently has 900watts? Lol oh ok :rollseyes: ...blaringly loud with no substance or bottom. The Alpine had it head and shoulders above this and would shake the mirrors. Apparently there was supposed to be an “amplifier enhancement update” but my dealer couldn’t find it. Ps I’m in Canada. 2019 3500 Laramie with the smaller screen and knobs.
Can’t speak for the HDs, but the amp TSB made a significant difference on the 1500s. You can find that one in the Resources section of this site.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Always is a very subjective word lol

Hmmm - I would debate you on the vernacular - but twin screws are way better (ALWAYS) than a centrifugal. I run a Rotrex (centrifugal) on my Polaris Slingshot (2.4L GM EcoTec), only because they EcoTec Twinscrew (from the Cobalt) won't fit under the hood.

Not to take anything away from ProCharger - they are a well established player in the Forced Induction market - they make a quality product with good support. But for RAW HP/TQ that's always there - NOTHING BEATS A TWIN SCREW. There's also (typically) less "plumbing" for a Twinscrew.

Though the ProCharger is a pretty install.

proc.jpg

Rick

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I HATE being blinded by the full bright dashboard lights every time I turn the truck off at night.
The dashboard light level should always match the dimmer dial setting when it is dark outside.
Even better would be to provide an easy-access control to black out all or most of the dashboard. (I had a 1990 Saab with that feature and found it very useful).

not to mention reverse camera does the same for me .. I was like, "where is the dimmer on that camera!?"

I just had another wheel alignment done at the dealer, still same thing. They crossed the front tires, and i can still change lanes by putting the wheel straight. On any road. They booked me in for another appointment next week. I left the dealer an hour ago, turned around and went right back. They refused to go for a ride with me and won't confirm there is an issue. I worked as a license tech for over 10 years, and have done thousands of alignments something is off if my wheel is always pointed left and the truck pulls right.

This is a RAM dealer? They are "supposed" to test drive to confirm the issue. I have had to ask the Service Adviser to get 'hold of the customer so I could take him out with me to understand what they were feeling (and I was hearing).
In my state, if you take the vehicle back 4 times within (just forgot the actual days or months) for the same issue and it was not fixed, you are allowed to put in a claim for the Lemon Law. If the dealer holds the vehicle for 40 days straight without fixing - lemon law. There is also a $$$ limit as well for the 3rd claim.

While I agree the truck hits a plateau when you lay the hammer down, it's by no means a slouch considering it's a 5000+ lb truck.

A crew cab 4x4 has a 0-60 mph time of 6.1 seconds. That's not bad considering it's not a performance package or special model (e.g. SRT).

I do agree on the Ford powerplants. They seem to have the edge on performance but, in the end, it's a truck. As much as I would have liked more fuel economy or "pep" the truck they wrapped it in was uninspiring to me whereas the RAM captured the personality I was looking for which was higher on my list.

Stock vehicles have problems with Wide Open Throttle. I've learned years ago to go with 3/4-ish throttle to 'beat someone off the line" .. you have to find the 'sweet spot' for your rig.
I def. agree with the Ford power over my Chevy and Ram. But I still went with my Ram as well :)

Color me skeptical on a 0-60 of 6.1. But, it doesn't matter. What matters to me is, just for one example, the time my g/f and I were next to each other at a light. Windows down. On our way to meet someplace for dinner. She was driving her Mercedes GLA250. A turbo 4-banger that only makes 208 HP. Just before the light changed, she yelled "last one there has to pay." The light changed and we both hammered it. She did not get a jump on me, as far as the timing on the light. She BLEW MY DOORS OFF. And Mercedes only claims 7.1 sec for that GLA, 0-60.

I said before that the Hemi has a relative lack of performance. Relative means, as compared to the competition. I think the Hemi is the weakest (not just in terms of horsepower) "top tier" half-ton truck motor on the market. Ford and GM both have top tier motors for their trucks that are simply better than the Hemi. More power, more torque, more low-RPM torque, and, it seems, better fuel economy.

The Hemi is not BAD. It's just not up to the competition. Which should be no surprise considering how long it has been since the Hemi had any significant update. The '19 RAM 1500 was "all new" - except for the engine. Too bad, really.

That is what we call "Horsepower to Weight Ratio" ..
395HP @ 5500# = 13.92 hp/#
208HP @ 3200# = 15.38 hp/#

Mine rides much nicer with the RAMAIR installed -- but I'm only still running 85 no ETH at the moment for testing.

900 watts across 19 speakers .. roughly 48watts per speaker/driver .. and that is PEAK, not RMS.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That
Hmmm - I would debate you on the vernacular - but twin screws are way better (ALWAYS) than a centrifugal. I run a Rotrex (centrifugal) on my Polaris Slingshot (2.4L GM EcoTec), only because they EcoTec Twinscrew (from the Cobalt) won't fit under the hood.

Not to take anything away from ProCharger - they are a well established player in the Forced Induction market - they make a quality product with good support. But for RAW HP/TQ that's always there - NOTHING BEATS A TWIN SCREW. There's also (typically) less "plumbing" for a Twinscrew.

Though the ProCharger is a pretty install.

View attachment 39106

Rick
That’s actually my motor and depending on what you are actually looking for in more power a twin screw isn’t what everyone necessarily wants.

smonska

Reaction score
1) Body panel fitment/alignment, my drivers door is pretty bad, open case with a dealer about it. (of all panels, it's the one I see closest getting in every day!) Early build, May of 2018.
2) No HD radio if you didn't get NAV? It's 2019. This caught me off guard in my LVL 2 Bighorn 8.4.
3) Key fobs don't open the doors. What did they save on this, $10?

On the flip side, I'm surprised to hear people have problems with MPG/performance or road noise, which are my particular truck's strong points. My 3.92 Hemi 4x4 has been surprisingly good on fuel, I've broken 20mpg unload on the highway and never worse than 16.5 in-town. Then again, my expectations were lower than some buyers, with 3.92s I thought I'd get 15ish, so I was thrilled to get over 20MPG on my trip home.

Like Jabara572 I have Corvette (436hp) and a Ducati, so I have some high standards for acceleration, and it's more than exceeded my expectations for performance. It'll light both rear tires even when I don't want to. Didn't burn a drop of oil in 4k miles to first change, guess I got a good one with respect to the mill.

Quietest truck I've been in for road/wind noise

Last edited:

rdtompki

Reaction score
Interior lighting, quality not quantity. The front map "lights" are anemic and ditto the above-door lights in the rear seat. The pano sunroof is nice, but eliminates having a true overhead dome light in the rear, something that is especially valuable when you use the rear seat for gear.

jabara572

Reaction score
1) Body panel fitment/alignment, my drivers door is pretty bad, open case with a dealer about it. (of all panels, it's the one I see closest getting in every day!) Early build, May of 2018.
2) No HD radio if you didn't get NAV? It's 2019. This caught me off guard in my LVL 2 Bighorn 8.4.
3) Key fobs don't open the doors. What did they save on this, $10?

On the flip side, I'm surprised to hear people have problems with MPG/performance or road noise, which are my particular truck's strong points. My 3.92 Hemi 4x4 has been surprisingly good on fuel, I've broken 20mpg unload on the highway and never worse than 16.5 in-town. Then again, my expectations were lower than some buyers, with 3.92s I thought I'd get 15ish, so I was thrilled to get over 20MPG on my trip home.

Like Jabara572 I have Corvette (436hp) and a Ducati, so I have some high standards for acceleration, and it's more than exceeded my expectations for performance. It'll light both rear tires even when I don't want to. Didn't burn a drop of oil in 4k miles to first change, guess I got a good one with respect to the mill.

Quietest truck I've been in for road/wind noise

I agree, even though I have a Rebel i seem to have lucked out in the mpg department. On a completely flat road going 55 it seems the truck will do 22-23 mpg, going 70mph in the rolling highways of GA i am averaging between 18-19, which seems is a few mpg higher than most rebels. There is another 19 Ram Rebel at work (crew cab, coil sprung), and it seems to be about 3/4 to 1" higher in the front than mine, not sure whats up with that but maybe it explains my better mpg than most. I also have the 3.92's and actually think its a benefit as with any higher rear axle I dont think the truck would stick in MDS as much as it does. When MDS kicks on it can barely maintain speed with the 3.92's I couldnt imagine it staying on at all with the 3.21's.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is what we call "Horsepower to Weight Ratio" ..
395HP @ 5500# = 13.92 hp/#
208HP @ 3200# = 15.38 hp/#

I understand. My point was mainly that the GLA is only spec'ed at 7.1 seconds, 0-60, and it blew my doors off. So, claims of a stock Hemi getting 6.1, 0-60, leave me very skeptical.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most disappointing? The fact that the 6.4 isn’t available in the 1500

this right here.

I LOVE the truck, but the "complaints" are:
#1 Stock exhaust too quiet.
- Passenger seat not automatic, on Level2 Equip group Rebel? Huh?
- A/C a little inferior to the gen4 truck.
- hyper-active automatic braking to the point I disabled it and have never thought about it since.
MANY times I've see the screen go red slowing down gradually in traffic. Had it auto-braked and been on I'd have been hit from behind.
But this isn't why I got the truck so I'm not too bugged about it, I see it as a bonus
- No front camera
- No 360 "top down" view

Still a huge fan of this truck, I would pick it over any of the others on the market dollar for dollar
And on the "Absolute" total truck market, the GMC 1500 AT4 would be second.
I consider the interior on that inferior, the performance a wash, the engine is powerful BUT needs premium fuel.
This, vs the Ram's 5.7L Hemi, which lived life as a 3/4ton Engine for a long time. That's durability you can believe in.
I honestly believe the 8spd ZF is the best truck transmission going in the half tons.
Then there's the price difference for an equivalently optioned truck, and I do not believe GMC is giving you more truck.
And no Ram-boxes.

Users who are viewing this thread