5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the No. 1 thing that disappointed you the most about your truck ?

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I recently drove through the Majave Desert. I had to set my AC Auto to 74 because it was too cold at 70. My truck has not had an issue cooling my interior for a year now. I do close the sun shade on extremely hot and sunny days to aid the cooling, as a ton of heat is introduced with it open. Seems like there may be a mixed bag on AC performance. Mine consistently cools down within a few minutes after sitting in the blazing sun/90-100 temps here currently. A good dealer should be able to resolve.

Away2ME

Reaction score
I HATE being blinded by the full bright dashboard lights every time I turn the truck off at night.
The dashboard light level should always match the dimmer dial setting when it is dark outside.
Even better would be to provide an easy-access control to black out all or most of the dashboard. (I had a 1990 Saab with that feature and found it very useful).

UKreject

Reaction score
I got conned by Ram over the non heated non power folding tow mirrors. And now winter is here once again. I love my truck except for those mirrors. No other issues. But I will always be pissed off about the mirrors. I will go to a Ford in a couple years when I can afford it. I think GM trucks are ugly ugly!!

YawnY

Reaction score
Find a shop that knows how to do alignments. There are usually 2 reasons for your problem. Tire pull which can be verified by switching tires side to side. Or an alignment tech with no clue. Remember that road crown can be an issue. On a flat surface it should go straight with a straight steering wheel. All comments are based on a stock vehicle. Any mods you made, then all bets are off. If you can get a print out of your last alignment, PM it to me. Maybe I can help.
I just had another wheel alignment done at the dealer, still same thing. They crossed the front tires, and i can still change lanes by putting the wheel straight. On any road. They booked me in for another appointment next week. I left the dealer an hour ago, turned around and went right back. They refused to go for a ride with me and won't confirm there is an issue. I worked as a license tech for over 10 years, and have done thousands of alignments something is off if my wheel is always pointed left and the truck pulls right.

Talpa

Reaction score
The gold colored trim on my Laramie around the radio and center console.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
wanders around on hwy more than any truck I've ever had (yes I lowered tire psi)

That is weird. I have the air suspension and I have thought to myself many times how smooth it drives and how well it stays right where I have it in the lane.

I have a few that are annoying like the shaking at highway speeds but the worst is probably the wind noise with these trucks. It's very loud on the interstate and the wind noise happens to show up around 35mph. Rear doors always sound like the windows are down. Overall the truck is not very quiet, I feel like my 09 ram was quieter.

As above. That is just weird to me. Mine is totally smooth on the highway. And quiet. DEFINITELY, noticeably quieter than my '09 was.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
That is weird. I have the air suspension and I have thought to myself many times how smooth it drives and how well it stays right where I have it in the lane.

As above. That is just weird to me. Mine is totally smooth on the highway. And quiet. DEFINITELY, noticeably quieter than my '09 was.
Agree. My truck is smooth and quiet as a tomb inside the cabin. Even with the MF exhaust.

Psyonic64

Reaction score
Taking it in tomorrow. The mirror still works just tries to reset a couple times and is slow to fold open. Makes a loud popping noise .
Taking it in for the rear end whine mostly.
Let us know how this turns out... My passenger mirror doing the same thing.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My # 1 thing that disappoints me is the engine. The crappy gas mileage and relative lack of performance.

I have the Hemi w/eTorque. I'm getting 14.5 MPG, hand calculated, over the last 7000 miles. I never expect to get what the sticker says. But, this is kinda ridiculous.

I wouldn't mind the mileage, if it was laying down 450 - 500 HP and 450 - 500 ft-lbs of torque.

But, the engine feels/drives just like my '09 did. And gets about the same mileage (with the same rear end gearing and with an 8-speed tranny versus the 6-speed in the '09). And that's sad.

What's even sadder is that my truck has been in the body shop now for just over 2 weeks (getting fixed after I backed into a pole). I have been driving an F150 rental for over 2 weeks now. I like my RAM better in every way - except the engine. The Ford is an XLT, which is a low trim level. I figured it must have the 2.7L EcoBoost. It takes off from a light better. It accelerates around cars when passing better - for the times when I just tip into the throttle for gradual acceleration. When I put it to the floor, it's hard to say how the acceleration compares to full throttle on my Hemi, but it certainly doesn't feel hugely different.

So, just now I went out and looked under the hood of the Ford to confirm what engine it has. It's a V-8! So, it must be the 5.0L. It drives nicer (engine-wise) than my Hemi AND it is getting way better mileage. At least according to the Ford's onboard computer - I have not hand calculated it. I drove the Ford to NC last weekend. Same trip I've done in my RAM. The RAM gets 16-ish MPG on that trip. The Ford 5.0 V8 got 19.something.

Before I bought my current truck, I was holding out for a new RAM with either an EcoDiesel OR a bigger/better/faster gas motor. I only bought the new truck when I did because of the June rebates. I could not pass up 26% off MSRP. When the EcoDiesel proves itself, or when Dodge comes out with a better gas motor, I will be heading to my dealer to look at a trade-in.

I have not driven an F150 with the high output 3.5 EB (like they put in the Raptor and now in their Limited trim). And now I don't want to. I bet I would like it a LOT better than the Hemi... In fact, if the ED turns out to be problematic and they don't start offering a better gas motor, I would even consider going back to Ford to get a Limited with the 3.5 HO EB.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The most disappointing thing about the truck is having to pay money for the Sirius Guardian. I get having to pay for Sirius Radio... But to me the ability to assist if my truck gets stolen, or to use the app to lock my doors, or to find my truck on a map to see where I am parked should all be included with the purchase.

The second biggest thing would be the slow down shift to 1st when coming to a stop and then the truck shifting from second when you hit the gas pedal and giving you some whiplash... I think they need to do another shift profile software update for this issue.

*** UPDATE TO POST*** The fan for the Heating and A/C needs to be much more air flow at setting 7. The fan motor can go faster but the Software is slowing it down for some reason because it blows faster on Auto then put on speed setting 7.

***** Newer Update ***** Related to the sentence above the Software Coding and management is my biggest complaint. The downshift still bugs me but I have changed my driving habits to get around it either not doing a California roll or being more gentle with the gas pedal after a slow rolling through Stop Sign.

Last edited:

cw_mi

Reaction score
Number one complaint, I think , would be my color choice. I should have went with Silver. This truck seems like it is dirty more than it is clean. I might just be cursed though, since I bought it in the winter.
Followed by :
Paint quality
Gas mileage
A/C efficiency
Lack of power folding mirrors (tow mirror)

Geobound

Reaction score
Number one complaint, I think , would be my color choice. I should have went with Silver. This truck seems like it is dirty more than it is clean. I might just be cursed though, since I bought it in the winter.
Followed by :
Paint quality
Gas mileage
A/C efficiency
Lack of power folding mirrors (tow mirror)

Is Delmonico Red in the US the same as Pearl Red in Canada?

I've got the Pearl Red and absolutely love the colour.

I have driven black, white, red, blue (several versions of actually), and silver vehicles before (from different manufacturers over many years), and this one seems to look best in terms of dirt appearance.

Yes I can see the dust on there when up close, but from a distance it looks pretty good.

White is just a disaster and would never consider going that route again..........of course this is jut my opinion.

cw_mi

Reaction score
Is Delmonico Red in the US the same as Pearl Red in Canada?

I've got the Pearl Red and absolutely love the colour.

I have driven black, white, red, blue (several versions of actually), and silver vehicles before (from different manufacturers over many years), and this one seems to look best in terms of dirt appearance.

Yes I can see the dust on there when up close, but from a distance it looks pretty good.

White is just a disaster and would never consider going that route again..........of course this is jut my opinion.

I'm not really sure. And I really do love the color...as long as it's clean. And being it is my first new truck since '01 I'm super anal about it and can't stand when it's the least bit dirty. So a lot of it is just me and my perceived luck....as I currently look out the window and can see it raining on my truck....

b.w.royder

Reaction score
Ac is terrible, have some noise in the interior at 2k rpm that drives me insane, and the engine lugging on take off I always have to put in tow mode to make it smooth on take off.

Other than that great truck. It’s in the shop now I hit a deer with only 1700 miles. In a Nissan Pathfinder as a rental can’t wait to get my truck back. It will have a new ranchhand summit bumper, bedlined, and new KO2s. Very excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My # 1 thing that disappoints me is the engine. The crappy gas mileage and relative lack of performance.
While I agree the truck hits a plateau when you lay the hammer down, it's by no means a slouch considering it's a 5000+ lb truck.

A crew cab 4x4 has a 0-60 mph time of 6.1 seconds. That's not bad considering it's not a performance package or special model (e.g. SRT).

I do agree on the Ford powerplants. They seem to have the edge on performance but, in the end, it's a truck. As much as I would have liked more fuel economy or "pep" the truck they wrapped it in was uninspiring to me whereas the RAM captured the personality I was looking for which was higher on my list.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While I agree the truck hits a plateau when you lay the hammer down, it's by no means a slouch considering it's a 5000+ lb truck.

A crew cab 4x4 has a 0-60 mph time of 6.1 seconds. That's not bad considering it's not a performance package or special model (e.g. SRT).

I do agree on the Ford powerplants. They seem to have the edge on performance but, in the end, it's a truck. As much as I would have liked more fuel economy or "pep" the truck they wrapped it in was uninspiring to me whereas the RAM captured the personality I was looking for which was higher on my list.

Color me skeptical on a 0-60 of 6.1. But, it doesn't matter. What matters to me is, just for one example, the time my g/f and I were next to each other at a light. Windows down. On our way to meet someplace for dinner. She was driving her Mercedes GLA250. A turbo 4-banger that only makes 208 HP. Just before the light changed, she yelled "last one there has to pay." The light changed and we both hammered it. She did not get a jump on me, as far as the timing on the light. She BLEW MY DOORS OFF. And Mercedes only claims 7.1 sec for that GLA, 0-60.

I said before that the Hemi has a relative lack of performance. Relative means, as compared to the competition. I think the Hemi is the weakest (not just in terms of horsepower) "top tier" half-ton truck motor on the market. Ford and GM both have top tier motors for their trucks that are simply better than the Hemi. More power, more torque, more low-RPM torque, and, it seems, better fuel economy.

The Hemi is not BAD. It's just not up to the competition. Which should be no surprise considering how long it has been since the Hemi had any significant update. The '19 RAM 1500 was "all new" - except for the engine. Too bad, really.

jabara572

Reaction score
Color me skeptical on a 0-60 of 6.1. But, it doesn't matter. What matters to me is, just for one example, the time my g/f and I were next to each other at a light. Windows down. On our way to meet someplace for dinner. She was driving her Mercedes GLA250. A turbo 4-banger that only makes 208 HP. Just before the light changed, she yelled "last one there has to pay." The light changed and we both hammered it. She did not get a jump on me, as far as the timing on the light. She BLEW MY DOORS OFF. And Mercedes only claims 7.1 sec for that GLA, 0-60.

I said before that the Hemi has a relative lack of performance. Relative means, as compared to the competition. I think the Hemi is the weakest (not just in terms of horsepower) "top tier" half-ton truck motor on the market. Ford and GM both have top tier motors for their trucks that are simply better than the Hemi. More power, more torque, more low-RPM torque, and, it seems, better fuel economy.

The Hemi is not BAD. It's just not up to the competition. Which should be no surprise considering how long it has been since the Hemi had any significant update. The '19 RAM 1500 was "all new" - except for the engine. Too bad, really.

I dont know about anyone else but my hemi will smoke the tires anytime I floor it under 25mph. So much torque the wrangler duratracs cant even hook one bit. Also depends on your rear end, do you have a 3.21 or 3.92?

Its a 5,000lb truck, i think it gets up and goes just fine. The hemi seems decently fast and powerful to me, and I have a 530hp 2900lb corvette btw. The only thing that DOES suck is the lack of sport mode, the biggest thing that makes the hemi FEEL slower is the slow pedal response, but floor it and it moves. A pedal commander will definitely solve all feelings of sluggishness.

Twister

Reaction score
1. Going into my 8th week without a new back power slider (existing one shattered when closing the door) Case worker involved, it is taking way too long
2. Tow mirrors that are manual fold
3 E torque- bought it off the lot and did not realize it had it

Users who are viewing this thread