5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats the first car you drove/learned to drive on?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My sister bought my niece a 1988 Dodge Omni 2.2l 5-speed to teach her to drive on.

Sixshooter54

Reaction score
Learned how to drive in 1970 in a 66 Ford Galaxie 500 2D with a 390. First car two years later was a white 64 Galaxie 500 XL with 390. Wish I still had it.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score

’84 Chevy Chevette 5 door. Got it for $250 when I turned 16 in ’97. Loved that little car! Super clean, no rust, passed inspection on the first try and I was gone, man. First taste of freedom.
I had a ‘76 2 door hatchback

skyhawk42

Reaction score
86 mustang. Was my moms, became my first car. Still wanting to find one to restore back to the way I remember it.

gofishn

Reaction score
Saw the thread title and been trying to remember ever since.

Think it was the 1969 Chevy, Dog Turd Brown, 4dr, I bought for $50 in 1975 but can't swear to it.
Immaculate, bare bones car but OPEC oil embargo meant all the big V-8's were going cheap at the Wholesale Auto Auctions.
350 V-8, Auto, A/C, AM radio that made my 13 yr old Self the happiest kid in town.

EDIT:
Forgot, it was an old International Travelall.
Stick Shift, Think it was on the Column but really can't remember.
I CLEARLY remember not setting the brake, having it roll down the hill, hitting that Fire Hydrant,
which Hi-Centered it and kept if from going into a house.

Dad tried to be Mad but couldn't stop laughing.
Mom was mad enough for both of them though.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
1983 Chevy Cavalier Station Wagon, in various hues of blue, 2.0L EFI and auto.

Was the "family truckster", my brothers and I use to ride in the back cargo area, looking out at the drivers behind us, lots of fun, really miss you can't do that anymore.

It was eventually handed down to me when I turned 18 as my learning car. Didn't look great, but drove surprisingly well and had a good amount of pep.

Nels

Reaction score
71 Ford Galaxy 500 station wagon for me. Seems like it was about 30 feet long. Only drove that once at 14 when my parents didn't know i took it for a spin. At 16 when i had my license it was a 76 Jeep Cherokee 2 door. Rust bucket but I loved that beast

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
1978 Chevy Nova……my moms car.

First time I drove it on my own after getting my license I beat the living snot out of that thing.😆

Straight 6. Think it finally died at about 400,000 miles.

2019Raven

Reaction score
1968 Chevy truck on logging roads. She was a 3/4 ton truck sitting on a 1 ton chassis, single cab with 8 foot bed. Green in color. I loved that truck.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1975 Ford F-250 when I was 8. Learned how to drive in potato fields and picking up straw bales. Had such a good granny gear you could set the steering wheel, get out and buck bales, then get back in at the end of the row. Loved that old truck.

397STROKER

Reaction score
Learned to drive in a full size Ford van with no side windows. Went to take the driving test and the guy asked my father can he drive this and my father responded he drove it here. First car was a 73 Satellite.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
company cars 1st job out of high school. mostly a 96-99 ford Taurus. but got tons of practice with other cars as well.
It was a tight and shared parking lot with another company so we would constantly had to move not just the company cars but others as well for incoming and outgoing deliveries

maybrfd

Reaction score
Title say it all.
I learned to drive on the back roads in NH on what we called "Range" roads and logging roads in a 1924 Dodge! Granted it didn't look like much, it was in it's glory days a touring coupe. The farm my folks bought in 1955 came with 80 acres, big old farmhouse and a huge barn and that is where the 1924 Dodge sat. It had been striped of it's body from the front fenders back and a wagon seat was the only seat and a wooden pickup style box was constructed on the back. I wish I had a picture to post.
No exhaust except a down pipe on a huge 4 banger with a three speed on the floor. It had spark advance on the column and all the free air and bugs you could ask for.
The tires were huge and that thing could go anyplace. I used to drive for hours in the back woods, stopping a few ponds and fish. the radiator leaked like a sieve so a water can was a must and the gas tank was a 3 gallon tank fastened to the firewall, gravity fed so extra gas was right beside the water. It only broke down once and I was near a paved road near a farm asked the guy if he had a coil and capacitor to spare, gave him ten bucks and it did turn out to be the cap but I was on my way back.
After I got my drivers lic. I lost interest in it but I learned how to wrench on a car! Ahhh, good times!
Good ol' days.. . A 1963 cross country rambler station wagon, with three on the tree, unless we include Johnny poppers....had to stand up to drive, and use blocks on the pedals; crank start...took two of us kids to turn it. God forbid you were the one it back fired on.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I started parking vehicles and moving them in and out of service bays at the family auto repair shop at age 11. I think that helped me learn how to drive better than when I actually got on the highway. When I did get on the road, I had an ‘89 mustang gt.

Speedo

Reaction score
My first car was a '79 ZX with the 5 speed manual. Absolute blast for a 16 year old but wildly unsafe in hindsight.

_____
Streamerplus

Last edited:

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I starting riding motos to work and trails with my dad at 13 yrs old, and they all were enduros with lights. Looked legal, never got stopped. I learned to drive a car in a 78 ford 2 door LTD, in the country around the block. It had so much play in the steering, I just kept turning the wheel till something happened. It was my dads work commuter, and I really never drove it again. Mostly drove my moms 80 Chevette at underage 15 in the country, with a 4 sp and hi output 4cyl. Would spin on pavement thru 1st into 2nd, but full of people would struggle uphill above 65mph. She let me drive her car underage to work, but wouldn't let me have a BB gun, go figure. Driving really was like the Dukes of Hazzard around where I lived, and nobody got hurt because you knew how to handle a car. Probably helped I'm in a heavy winter snow zone. Turned 16 and bought my own car, a stick also. Hate that most cars cannot fully turn off traction control. Would prefer stick, but a sport programmed auto is livable. Have drag raced motos and cars off/on since '88. My mom drag raced in '67, my kid dragged in '17, all at the same track.

Neil McCauley

Reaction score
The family '93 Cutlass Ciera. Had some other memorable firsts in that vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread