5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats the first car you drove/learned to drive on?

Kicker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Title say it all.
I learned to drive on the back roads in NH on what we called "Range" roads and logging roads in a 1924 Dodge! Granted it didn't look like much, it was in it's glory days a touring coupe. The farm my folks bought in 1955 came with 80 acres, big old farmhouse and a huge barn and that is where the 1924 Dodge sat. It had been striped of it's body from the front fenders back and a wagon seat was the only seat and a wooden pickup style box was constructed on the back. I wish I had a picture to post.
No exhaust except a down pipe on a huge 4 banger with a three speed on the floor. It had spark advance on the column and all the free air and bugs you could ask for.
The tires were huge and that thing could go anyplace. I used to drive for hours in the back woods, stopping a few ponds and fish. the radiator leaked like a sieve so a water can was a must and the gas tank was a 3 gallon tank fastened to the firewall, gravity fed so extra gas was right beside the water. It only broke down once and I was near a paved road near a farm asked the guy if he had a coil and capacitor to spare, gave him ten bucks and it did turn out to be the cap but I was on my way back.
After I got my drivers lic. I lost interest in it but I learned how to wrench on a car! Ahhh, good times!

Reaction score
At age 12 a was taught to drive a '67 Fury III with a slant 6. At 13 I was driving a '50's 2 ton grain truck 15 miles to town to drop off grain.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
71’ Buick Skylark. Bought it off an elderly neighbor when I was 17. She was looking to get rid of it after her husband died and it had like 7000 miles. She basically gave it to me. I wished I still had it.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you don’t count farm equipment (some MUCH larger than any passenger vehicle), it’s a toss-up between a 1966 International single-axle dump truck with a 5-speed and an enormous throw or a 1982 GMC C1500...both around age 12.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My first car was a 1980 Camaro with a 305 and an automatic. $hit brown with beige vinyl interior. It had enough power to have some fun with it, but not so much that I couldn’t handle it. I loved that thing, awesome first car!

BmoreStew

Reaction score

’84 Chevy Chevette 5 door. Got it for $250 when I turned 16 in ’97. Loved that little car! Super clean, no rust, passed inspection on the first try and I was gone, man. First taste of freedom.

Toothninja

Reaction score
1985 Dodge Colt-manual transmission in which the highest gear/fifth gear was out. I was unable to go over 60 without sounding like it was going to explode!

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
1972 Ford Pinto was my first car, learned to drive on my Dad's Jeep CJ 7

Sjay

Reaction score
You guys have a great memory, had a friend who taught me how to drive, but I can't remember what type of car. My first car was a Buick Opel 4 speed (300$ in 1978) if it was windy the clutch would slip. Didn't matter, I wrecked that car 2 months after getting my license, hadn't learned yet that slippery roads did not provide very much traction especially going around a curve at 60 miles and hour.:rolleyes:o_O

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
First time behind the wheel (I was 13) was a ‘70 Pinto. 7th grade teacher let us ’play’ with her car in the school lot. i had zero knowledge of driving a stick and almost added a new doorway to the school building. Drivers ed was a ’76 Chrysler something or other, but 5 minutes after I got the license, I bought a ’73 Fiat sedan (friend of the family refurb’d junkers to mint and sold to kids for his cost...sweet deal!). That car taught me the value of doing some work myself: wiper motor cooked and a new one was $300 (in 1977!)...spent an afternoon manually rewinding the rotor and it worked fine for the cost of the copper wire. That car also taught me the hazard of a tiny wheelbase when you hit a patch of ice...it was totaled when it intersected a 3” sapling. (Which was lucky given that the steering columns on that model tended to rust thru and snap!). I did laugh when I bought the Ram...first car was Fiat and last car is FCA...I‘ve come full circle!

TimG

Reaction score
77 Cutlass 3 on the tree. That car was a tank! Actually wish I still had it some days when I'm around the "normal" Maryland drivers...

R

Rob5589

66 Chevy 3/4 ton, 283, 3 on the tree. The clutch pedal had a return spring the size of an old garage door spring o_O

JoeyGster

Reaction score
The car I learned to drive with was a 1975 Dodge Royal Monaco.

I ended up buying it from my dad and then spent a ton of money jacking it up with big fat back tires, aluminum slot rims, traction bars, chrome differential cover etc. I wasn't happy with it because it was all show no go. A friend of mine changed the gears in the differential for me and put a shift kit in the transmission which perked it up a bit, but it was no speedster. I also put true dual exhaust on it. This car was the start of the modding frenzy to come and that still continues some 40 years later.

K3vLVL4.jpg

FdJ7IOW.jpg

rah6887

Reaction score
76 Datsun pickup, 4 spd manual, in a giant cow pasture, I was 14.
My dad just turned me loose.

tncal

Reaction score
Mine was a 1958 push button TorqueFlite Desoto Firedome.....

Users who are viewing this thread