5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's in/on your bed?

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
I ordered a 21 Big Horn, waiting to get more info on build, shipping, delivery, etc. I did not get the Bed Utility Group, it included stuff I didnt want, so, I'll have a naked bed. I think I'm against spray in liners, I understand they are tough but I think they are rough and potentially damaging to things that are easily damaged.
I'm thinking of getting a Bed Rug and a cover.

antwon412

Reaction score
I have mine Line-X’d. Love it. Definitely a rough surface though. If I didn’t have a Bed-Slide mounted, I’d grab a rubber bed mat most likely.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I ordered a 21 Big Horn, waiting to get more info on build, shipping, delivery, etc. I did not get the Bed Utility Group, it included stuff I didnt want, so, I'll have a naked bed. I think I'm against spray in liners, I understand they are tough but I think they are rough and potentially damaging to things that are easily damaged.
I'm thinking of getting a Bed Rug and a cover.
What is it about the BUG you do not want/like. Package is a pretty good deal (lights, bed step, rails, liner) for $845. I did not get it and installed the rails, bed step and lighting (LED strip) later at about $600 and some work. Line x is about $600 in my area. I've used the bed rails and find them useful. At age 65 the bed step is a nice convenience and lighting is a necessity.
A bed mat would probably go at about $100 to eliminate the roughness of the spray in liner on the floor.
I find the bed of my 2019 is less substantial than my 2001 so added protection is not bad with a spray in liner.

When I ordered mine I did not really evaluate the BUG and as time went on I kept getting each piece (no liner though, 2001 is for rough stuff).

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
What is it about the BUG you do not want/like. Package is a pretty good deal (lights, bed step, rails, liner) for $845. I did not get it and installed the rails, bed step and lighting (LED strip) later at about $600 and some work. Line x is about $600 in my area. I've used the bed rails and find them useful. At age 65 the bed step is a nice convenience and lighting is a necessity.
A bed mat would probably go at about $100 to eliminate the roughness of the spray in liner on the floor.
I find the bed of my 2019 is less substantial than my 2001 so added protection is not bad with a spray in liner.

When I ordered mine I did not really evaluate the BUG and as time went on I kept getting each piece (no liner though, 2001 is for rough stuff).
Lol, you mostly right about how useful it would have been. I didn't like the LED, it's only 1, on 1 side, I really like symmetry and think it should have another on the other side. I didn't like the step, thought it might hang down and get caught or scrape on something. I like the idea of the spray in line, but it's way too rough, I plan on moving finish material at some point and even lounging in the bed when it gets warm again.

Jako

Reaction score
Lol, you mostly right about how useful it would have been. I didn't like the LED, it's only 1, on 1 side, I really like symmetry and think it should have another on the other side. I didn't like the step, thought it might hang down and get caught or scrape on something. I like the idea of the spray in line, but it's way too rough, I plan on moving finish material at some point and even lounging in the bed when it gets warm again.
Unless things changed the light is on both sides, unless you are talking about turning them on. The locations seems to limit lighting the bed. I put LED strips on the backside of the bed rail, relatively cheap and easy depending on how you want to install. I have the billet silver and DiamondBack cover so the inside is very bright. I have used the bed rails to transport several things, also tying long lumber to the "high points" of the rail at the tail end of the bed gives me added security. The bed step is only a problem if "you leave it deployed and forget it's there". I have a shin scar to prove the point. I am still viable enough to step up onto the bumper to get over the tailgate and into the bed but at the end of a long day it makes my life a little easier. Also helps when washing the tonneau cover.

The bed rug gets great reviews on the forum. Seems there can be problems in freezing temps with the area between the bed and tailgate.

Best of luck on your "build".

Here is some info from the forum for tonneau covers. I was overwhelmed when I first started looking at tonneau covers. There are a lot of choices.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a full bed rug installed in the gen 4 over a naked bed and after 5 years when I traded it in and pulled the bedrug that naked bed still looked new. I had a topper on it but also hauled wet stuff, spilled gas, hauled mulch and the bedrug handled it. I camp in my bed alot and the cushion of the bedrug was awesome. My gen5 came with a spray-in and I like it but miss the comfort of the bedrug and was actually pricing out the bedmat xlt last night to install over the liner.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got the Ram boxes, BUG and a tonneau cover but no spray in bed liner, my truck is bright white so it is bright under the tonneau with the lights turned on, I might paint the underneath of the tonneau cover with white latex paint, it would make it a lot brighter.
One thing that I wish FCA would offer is a choice of colours for the spray bed.
I had both bumpers on my 2011 Outdoorsman Linexed colour matched gray, and also colour matched the top coat with metallic paint. The reason for the gray linex is in the event of a scratched top coat, the underneath would be gray.
I didn’t want the lined bed because I made and installed an aluminum rolling bed for my 2011 Ram and now installed it in my Rebel. The 2011 had no Ram boxes but it it still fit. It locks in three positions, all the way in, even to the tailgate and 22 inches out past the tailgate. It has to lock because if the bed was loaded and if the truck was on an incline, the bed would roll out after opening tailgate.

Attachments

• 5FB71A0B-802B-49BA-BC59-4161B3D4793C.jpeg
    5FB71A0B-802B-49BA-BC59-4161B3D4793C.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 180
  • 9A61D55B-5A2B-482A-A1E8-155938A7DE09.jpeg
    9A61D55B-5A2B-482A-A1E8-155938A7DE09.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 180
  • 7BB18789-A55B-4BE9-9DCB-84796FD8A4D5.jpeg
    7BB18789-A55B-4BE9-9DCB-84796FD8A4D5.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 194
  • CFCF7979-DCF8-4478-8A8F-9E0DFF72CB67.jpeg
    CFCF7979-DCF8-4478-8A8F-9E0DFF72CB67.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 202
  • DB7ADE09-DAE8-40C9-81B9-3BCA646D8947.jpeg
    DB7ADE09-DAE8-40C9-81B9-3BCA646D8947.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:

midntrdr

Reaction score
I’m not a fan of spray in liners because I don’t like the rough texture, I’m sure they’re bulletproof just don’t want to scratch up my stuff. I’ve always had drop in liners that the dealers including in the sale, I don’t keep my vehicles long enough to be worried about rust underneath, and I’ve seen drop ins pulled out of 10 year old trucks with just some scuffed up paint. Never tried the bedrugs but I end up with a lot of dirt, sand, firewood, etc in my bed so I would wonder if I could ever get it clean. A new one I saw recently was one called dual liner, it’s a plastic drop in liner material on the sides and then a rubber mat on the bed floor. It seems like a good compromise.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of spray in liners because I don’t like the rough texture, I’m sure they’re bulletproof just don’t want to scratch up my stuff. I’ve always had drop in liners that the dealers including in the sale, I don’t keep my vehicles long enough to be worried about rust underneath, and I’ve seen drop ins pulled out of 10 year old trucks with just some scuffed up paint. Never tried the bedrugs but I end up with a lot of dirt, sand, firewood, etc in my bed so I would wonder if I could ever get it clean. A new one I saw recently was one called dual liner, it’s a plastic drop in liner material on the sides and then a rubber mat on the bed floor. It seems like a good compromise.
I have a spray-in and keep a rubber bed mat in it. Best of both worlds...protects both truck and gear.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Highly recommend a combination of spray in liner with a heavy duty mat. However if I only had one choice, it's the heavy duty mat.

The heavy duty mat is honestly the best $90 you can spend on you truck bed. I had one in my F150 for 4 years, the bed looked perfect after I removed it, never bothered to clean underneath it either. If you don't really need the side protection, this is the best way to go.

The advantage of the bed mat is not only protecting the bottom of the bed, but also what you put on it. The soft rubber won't damage the finish of anything you put on it, but best of all it grips whatever you put in your bed, so no need to strap things down like boxes or whatever.

No more sliding objects in your bed, no need to cover things with fabric so the spray-in liner doesn't scratch it, just best of both worlds.

This is the one for crew cab short bed; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MRKYQP5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jako

Reaction score
Highly recommend a combination of spray in liner with a heavy duty mat. However if I only had one choice, it's the heavy duty mat.

The heavy duty mat is honestly the best $90 you can spend on you truck bed. I had one in my F150 for 4 years, the bed looked perfect after I removed it, never bothered to clean underneath it either. If you don't really need the side protection, this is the best way to go.

The advantage of the bed mat is not only protecting the bottom of the bed, but also what you put on it. The soft rubber won't damage the finish of anything you put on it, but best of all it grips whatever you put in your bed, so no need to strap things down like boxes or whatever.

No more sliding objects in your bed, no need to cover things with fabric so the spray-in liner doesn't scratch it, just best of both worlds.

This is the one for crew cab short bed; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MRKYQP5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This one is pretty grippy, flexible/soft and goes up the sides about an inch+. It is not like the ones made from used tires that are stiff. Weather Tech also makes one that is held down with velcro, Amazon reviews show some issues with the light weight.

SMARTLINER Custom Fit for 2020 Ram 1500 Crew Cab without Rear Underseat Storage Box × 1
Black / Truck Bed Mat
$119.00​
Discount
mail
3D1J-1P3X-IJ6Y
-$11.90
Subtotal
$107.10
Shipping
$0.00
Total
$116.60 USD
You saved $11.90​

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got the Ram boxes, BUG and a tonneau cover but no spray in bed liner, my truck is bright white so it is bright under the tonneau with the lights turned on, I might paint the underneath of the tonneau cover with white latex paint, it would make it a lot brighter.
One thing that I wish FCA would offer is a choice of colours for the spray bed.
I had both bumpers on my 2011 Outdoorsman Linexed colour matched gray, and also colour matched the top coat with metallic paint. The reason for the gray linex is in the event of a scratched top coat, the underneath would be gray.
I didn’t want the lined bed because I made and installed an aluminum rolling bed for my 2011 Ram and now installed it in my Rebel. The 2011 had no Ram boxes but it it still fit. It locks in three positions, all the way in, even to the tailgate and 22 inches out past the tailgate. It has to lock because if the bed was loaded and if the truck was on an incline, the bed would roll out after opening tailgate.
I’m replying to my own post, the rubber mat on the rolling bed is from my 1996 Dodge Ram with an 8 foot bed, I had cut it to 5’7” to fit my 2011 Ram Outdoorsman and now cut the wings off the mat to fit my 2020 Rebel with the Ram boxes. That mat was given to me 23 years ago, it was an aftermarket too, the rubber has a few wear cracks in it but is still good.

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
Line-x and rough country bed mat along with a weather tech hard tonneau cover.

oh and a large plastic storage container (which doesn’t move/shift with the bed mat) to put in say groceries

wwalljr

Reaction score
I have a DeeZee rubber mat fitted for the Ram. $75 maybe. I like it. Durable and non-slip. Access Lorado cover. I’ve used them on a few trucks now.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Linex Premium spray in liner - It's a hard coating, somewhat slick, and UV resistant. I really like the look, feel, and durability
DeeZee Rubber mat - for extra protection and non-slip surface
Truxedo Truxsport tonneau cover - roll-up style - I don't love this cover. Some water lays on mine and it has some slight wrinkling. I've tightened it as much as I can. Other people have had better luck.
Bedlights - installed under bed rails, Amazon, wired directly to battery

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
line x, undercover armor flex cover, Driver side undercover swing box, Hope Santa brings the Passenger side box.

Dodgeramfan

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a mat for the tailgate (DeeZee brand or similar)? Thanks.

Jako

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a mat for the tailgate (DeeZee brand or similar)? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/