5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What weight do I need a WDH?

kmck94

Reaction score
Hey guys, I searched and could not see where this was covered. I am about to tow a car hauler with a 5000 pound suv on it for a total of 7000 pounds including trailer. At what weight do I need a Weight Distribution Hitch? Problem is I don’t even think I can use one with the Uhaul trailers. I didn’t know the 12000 pound towing capacity meant you had to have a WDH.

It seems there are lots of specs about how much you can haul but none on when a WDH is needed.

Another note: this makes my hitch buying process much harder. I was going to get a B&W tri ball hitch for $235 but now I’m thinking I need to get a WDH instead??

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For a 1500 Ram your going to need a WDH and I have rented them from U-haul as well some years back. Other option would be to stop by a camping place and ask to rent a WDH if your not ready to buy one yet. You will need the spur set/Cleats set that will attach to Tongue of the trailer for the WDH levelers to attach to.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The newer receivers have a much higher rating. Give me a few to get the info (not 100% sure).

That said it is probably more than 7000 that would require it and the interesting thing with the car hauler is, you can move the vehicle and change the tongue weight.

The WDH helps most when you can't move the cargo (like a travel trailer)

Another interesting thing is, if Uhaul said you can do it, then it is ok as they are ultra conservative.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@Ramit392, interesting...I didnt realize you could rent WDH.

Thanks for the info..looks like I may be wrong...keep for getting my experience is with 2500.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Ramit392, interesting...I didnt realize you could rent WDH.

Thanks for the info..looks like I may be wrong...keep for getting my experience is with 2500.

The thing with the WDH is the cleats and the distributions bars as well as the hitch is all one system. Very expensive for a one time use,but RV centers always will rent them for hauling temporary for many users. The 2500 and 3500 would need the WDH for what he is hauling. The movement of the car will help as you say for the tongue weight tolerance being max of 10% usually of total weight being pulled on the 1500 half tons..I only brought it up from looking at his truck he has listed as the half ton on his signature. Hope it helps or gives an idea.

kmck94

Reaction score
I guess that’s what I’m getting at. What weight requires a WDH?
I had 1300 pounds of brick in my bed this weekend and it handled it like a champ without much rake. So if I only have 700 pound tongue weight with a 7000 pound trailer would I be okay?

Attachments

• 4F9F18F7-F771-4C92-92C0-C225DE553CC6.jpeg
    4F9F18F7-F771-4C92-92C0-C225DE553CC6.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 34

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With your cargo and weight of Trailer your at 8300 lbs. I think if I recall properly the weight of 1/2 ton 1500 requires WDH any thing over 5000 Lbs. Your tounqe weight would be about 830 lbs loaded and your good to about 900 to 1000 lbs depending on your pull capacity. All I quoted would be with your BED empty with no Payload. Payload would subtract from your max pull caps by what ever the payload weight is loaded. Hope that helps you.

kmck94

Reaction score
With your cargo and weight of Trailer your at 8300 lbs. I think if I recall properly the weight of 1/2 ton 1500 requires WDH any thing over 5000 Lbs. Your tounqe weight would be about 830 lbs loaded and your good to about 900 to 1000 lbs depending on your pull capacity. All I quoted would be with your BED empty with no Payload. Payload would subtract from your max pull caps by what ever the payload weight is loaded. Hope that helps you.

Total weight with trailer is 7000 lbs.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Total weight with trailer is 7000 lbs.

I'm sorry I see where you clearly said 7000 Lbs Trailer and 5000 Lb suv.....Your at 12000 lbs total and most likely over your trucks pull capacity. Not sure about finances etc etc, but have you just considered renting a u-haul truck with a hitch already on the truck?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sorry I see where you clearly said 7000 Lbs Trailer and 5000 Lb suv.....Your at 12000 lbs total and most likely over your trucks pull capacity. Not sure about finances etc etc, but have you just considered renting a u-haul truck with a hitch already on the truck?
He said a 5000 lb SUV on a trailer for a total weight of 7000 and then mentioned that a towing capacity of 12000 had to have a WDH.

I see were my error was. The Class IV Reciever is rated much different. I didn't think about it being rated lower when on a 1500.

It does say they recommend WDH over 5000lb trailer.

I have so many numbers running in my head as I am trying to figure how to get Powerwagon to work for my needs.

kmck94

Reaction score
He said a 5000 lb SUV on a trailer for a total weight of 7000 and then mentioned that a towing capacity of 12000 had to have a WDH.

I see were my error was. The Class IV Reciever is rated much different. I didn't think about it being rated lower when on a 1500.

I have so many numbers running in my head as I am trying to figure how to get Powerwagon to work for my needs.

Where did they say they recommend WDH over 5000 pounds? I haven’t come across it.

kmck94

Reaction score

What? I clearly said 7000 pounds total. Thanks for the help though.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It says so in the towing chart for 2019 Ram 1500...the link is here on the site. I would assume it is in the manual...but I dont have one...it is there in my 1999 manual though.

RenoRam

Reaction score
I have a 5000lb + camping trailer as dry weight and it can be considered a safety concern to ensure stability when towing. Just my opinion but also recommended by the trailer dealer for the same reason. Fortunately I had WDH from a previous trailer so it wasn't motivated by $$, just being cautious. Good luck with your choice.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What? I clearly said 7000 pounds total. Thanks for the help though.

Sorry just tried to help out got information on your weights confused .Any ways you need a WDH for any thing over 5000lbs and up to your trucks maximum pull capacity. Good luck to you hope it helped for what its worth to you.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score

its easy to do. LOL. I got confused with his trailer weight and cargo weight. But do understand what is needed for the 1500 1/2 ton and your correct the receivers are different for the 1/2 tons with them needing WDH over 5000. Its on the MOPAR weight tables.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Not only is the weight a determining factor but the wheel base as well trailer profile. The lateral motions need to be a consideration. I wouldn't throw 7k or 5k out there as arbitrary numbers...a 5,000# trailer that's 13ft high will track COMPLETELY different than a 7,000lb car hauler with wood stacked on it standing 4ft high.

Quicker10u

Reaction score
Whenever I am towing anything more than a small cargo trailer, I use the WDH. Race Car haulers (24-28ft) and 30ft cargo trailers ranging from 6000 to 8000 lbs are what I typically tow. There is no downside other than the upfront cost to running a wdh. Do it. I cant wait until next week when I get to try out my new RAM towing a 28ft Featherlite with my 3300lb car inside. It's about a 2 hour trek so it should be a good indication of how she'll do.

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
I used to tow my 3500 lb Camaro on a 1800 lb trailer behind my 2004 Buick Rainier 5.3L. It had absolutely no issues and had zero sway because weight on the trailer was setup correctly. Will be towing the same setup behind the Ram and won't be using a WDH either.

You will be fine with what you're doing OP. The UHaul trailer has surge brakes so you won't be able to use a WDH anyway.

Our boat is 26' and weighs well over 5000 lbs. and since the trailer has surge brakes, it isn't possible to setup a WDH on it (according to our trailer manufacturer). You can certainly modify trailers with surge brakes to accommodate a WDH but I never see it.

Users who are viewing this thread