5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What was your dealership experience when you bought your Ram?

Cortesio

Reaction score
What kind of experience did you have buying your new truck?

My Ram was the 5th vehicle I've purchased in my adult life and the third new one. I'm not an expert negotiator by any means, but I'm pretty confident I can go into a dealership well-informed and come out with a good deal. The first was a 2004 GMC Envoy I bought used in 2010. I traded that in on a new 2013 Subaru Legacy. Later in 2013 I cosigned with my girlfriend (now wife) to trade her clapped out 1999 Chevy Tracker with 197,000 miles for a 2006 Subaru Impreza. In 2016 my wife and I had a house built and I decided I needed a new truck for house stuff so we traded the 2006 Impreza towards a new Chevy Silverado. It wasn't my proudest moment because the impulse literally came from wanting to buy a table saw that afternoon and knowing we couldn't fit it in either of our sedans. This year I decided if I was going to be paying a nice healthy truck payment, I wanted to get into something I really wanted to keep for a while.

I was very particular about the options I wanted on my truck. I required that it have the ASG and that was a bit of a sticking point with the purchase because I didn't want to spend over $50k. Locally, there were only a few Limited's with that option. I could not find a Laramie with the ASG within 150 miles. The handful that were even farther than that were loaded with every other option too and had MSRP's closer to $70k. I looked into ordering one but the incentives on the 2020's weren't as good.

I visited a Ram dealer near my work and asked what they could do about locating one for me. The salesman I dealt with was pretty relaxed. He was straightforward about my options and didn't push back when I steered the conversation towards final purchase price and trade value of my Silverado instead of monthly payments. He offered a fair price for my trade the first time out and he found a truck I was interested in located at a dealership in Chicago that they could get and sell me for under $51k. It wasn't exactly what I wanted so I told him I'd talk it over with my wife and decide if we wanted to go for it. I found the dealership that had the truck and looked through the rest of their stock. Listed right next to the one he showed me was the truck I ended up buying that had every option I wanted (except the RamBox) and was the color I wanted for only a couple thousand more. I shot him a text and asked if he could get that truck instead and he told me he could.

Just to keep the impulse down and check myself before I got caught up in the first thing that came my way, I went to visit another Ram dealer that was closer to my house. Pretty much total opposite experience. That guy fit every stereotype of an aggressive salesman and my wife got quite a kick out of me telling her what his next trick would be each of the dozen times he got up to "talk to his sales manager." Extreme lowball on trade, very reluctant to talk about price instead of payment, casually asking for SSN to run credit without asking me to, arguing about the impact of hard versus soft credit pulls, said I was screwing over the next guy by asking for a higher trade value, absolutely without a doubt could not move on the price of the truck. He tried to impress me by saying he had to call his GM at home (this was around 8:30PM). The truck he located had a cheaper MSRP than the one I set up with the other dealer, but he wanted to charge a higher purchase price while offering 25% less trade value for my truck.

I was very straightforward and told him he was trying to sell me a truck I wanted less than the other one and that the only way I would make a deal with him is if he gave me a low enough price the justify giving up some of the optional stuff I wanted in the other truck. Several more back and forth's with him going to talk to someone and he told me he worked it out to beat the other deal. He thought he had beat it by $250 which was bad enough because I told him I needed a significantly cheaper deal to be interested. To make it worse, his didn't do the math right and was actually still $250 higher than the other deal. When I pointed that out, he argued that I couldn't do simple math in my head.

Of course this whole thing took the better part of two hours and we were ready to leave. While he was out on his final disappearance to talk to someone, my wife and I stood up and were waiting. I wasn't personally offended by the guy trying to make a living and I had every intention of at least thanking him for his time for the sake of politeness, but the last straw was when he came back and saw we were about to leave. He suddenly said he could make something work for a few thousand more off to get where we wanted to be. I declined and said he had his chance to make a deal earlier and we didn't have any more time to give him. He just turned to walk away and said "Ok let me tell my sales manager." I stood there dumbfounded for a second before my wife and I just walked out.

I texted the other dealer after I left and let him know I'd be in first thing in the morning to put a deposit on the truck in the morning. shortly after I put the deposit down, I got an email from the GM of the other dealership. They found the same truck I had just paid a delivery deposit on and offered me a deal that worked out to be about $3k less than the deal I had with the one I was at. I was willing to pay the extra $3k just to avoid dealing with them again, but I did mention it to the SGM. He didn't want to budge on the price and I didn't feel like pushing the issue. He ended up knocking a few hundred more off to drop me to an even $52,000 and that was fine with me.

I've never bought a vehicle that wasn't in dealer inventory before and all in all I'm happy with the deal I ended up with. I definitely knew I was not in a strong negotiating position not buying off the lot, but I was counting on the dealer wanting to add another closed sale to their quota without needing to make too much money off me. I'm sure I could have saved a good bit more on an in-stock truck, but it was worth the extra I paid to get something delivered that was exactly what I was looking for.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Nice descriptive message about two very different deals.
I was kinda in the same boat, dealer #1 was $2-4K less than where I bought, and the truck at dealer #1 had maybe $1K options more. I ended up at dealer #2 due to being much closer and much easier to work with. Wife hated dealer #1 (lower priced one) and it wasn't worth it to me (aggravation) to save a couple-three K.
Sounds like you made the decision that best suited you. Let the "save every cent" types "enjoy" the fighting. I'm past that.

Oliver392

Reaction score
Friends and Family Pricing (FFP), invoice -1% (Join TreadLightly.org for $100.) + you get all incentives that are available. Avoid all the "let me talk to my manager" non-sense. Just find a dealer that will give you the most for your trade. (For my recent deal I found a dealer that gave me $2.5K more for my trade)
Order the truck that you really want. Order to delivery is right around 4-5 weeks now.
Also, sign up for a brochure and updates on Ramtrucks.com. It is a bit of a crap shoot, but you could possibly receive "personal cash" offers. I received $1000. All totaled I was at $3000. in rebates for my 2020 Limited.

I went to 4 different dealers. 2 of the 4 were terrible. I ended up driving 50 miles to a dealer that I had purchased 4 other vehicles from. Very easy purchase.

I know, this doesn't help you now, but maybe next time.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just picked up a 2019 Limited this past weekend.

Had to drive almost 6 hours to get one that I wanted with the pricing I wanted.

Safford Ram in Fredrickburg, VA. Al Allee was the rep I worked with and would recommend him to anyone. No non sense here it is deal where they discount it to as good or better than anyone in the SE.

Cortesio

Reaction score
Friends and Family Pricing (FFP), invoice -1% (Join TreadLightly.org for $100.) + you get all incentives that are available. Avoid all the "let me talk to my manager" non-sense. Just find a dealer that will give you the most for your trade. (For my recent deal I found a dealer that gave me $2.5K more for my trade)
Order the truck that you really want. Order to delivery is right around 4-5 weeks now.
Also, sign up for a brochure and updates on Ramtrucks.com. It is a bit of a crap shoot, but you could possibly receive "personal cash" offers. I received $1000. All totaled I was at $3000. in rebates for my 2020 Limited.

I went to 4 different dealers. 2 of the 4 were terrible. I ended up driving 50 miles to a dealer that I had purchased 4 other vehicles from. Very easy purchase.

I know, this doesn't help you now, but maybe next time.
That’s awesome. I recall when I bought my 2013 Subaru they had a similar deal with joining an affiliated organization to get that kind of pricing. The one sticking point was you had to be a member for more than six months before it qualified. Does Tread Lightly have any sort of timeframe restrictions?

Ultimately, I was incredibly lucky to find the truck I did in the color I wanted that had every option I was looking for minus the RamBox (and now that I’m a couple thousand miles in maybe the 33gal tank haha) so I have no regrets for my ignorance...yet. I do have a buddy who might be in the market soon so I will pass the info along to him. Thanks for the heads up.

Just picked up a 2019 Limited this past weekend.

Had to drive almost 6 hours to get one that I wanted with the pricing I wanted.

Safford Ram in Fredrickburg, VA. Al Allee was the rep I worked with and would recommend him to anyone. No non sense here it is deal where they discount it to as good or better than anyone in the SE.

I debated the idea of going to the dealer that originally had the truck and avoiding the local dealer middleman altogether. It would’ve been close to a 6 hour drive for me as well but I work an odd rotating schedule so it would have taken some scheduling gymnastics to get me, my wife, and my trade to the dealership during business hours. Ultimately I decided the price I was offered for the local transfer was close enough to justify not taking a trip.

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score
I have no complaints about the dealer that I actually purchased from, and am happy with the truck. The dealer I thought I was buying from however, was pathetic

I used Tread Lightly to completely avoided the price negotiations. I decided I wanted to order and was going to use the local dealer until I made the mistake of listening to my wife. The company that handles her marketing handled the marketing for a Ram Dealer 30 minutes away and she was convinced that they were going to give me the best price and customer service. After briefly trying to explain 1% below invoice was the starting point and there probably wasn't much of a price difference I gave up and went with her dealer. I emailed exactly what I wanted to the dealer and after that the experience went down hill. I repeatedly asked for the VON, which he could never produce. Next I called Ram directly who informed me there were no orders from that dealer. I then called the GM who informed me that I was correct, it had not been ordered, but assured me it would be by the end of the day. It was finally ordered, but when I was able to see the build sheet I saw the tow mirrors were added, deleting my 360 view which was not what I requested. I also noticed the sunroof was missing, which I later found out was not available for order at the time. I once again called the GM who gave me a story about how he orders all of his vehicles through another dealer and a few other excuses. Eventually my vehicle arrived and I was then informed I would have to drive three hours away to pick it up, which was never disclosed previously. The GM assured me the other dealer would make everything right. After my three hour drive, neither the salesman I was assigned or the GM knew anything about the situation and had no idea I was using Tread Lightly pricing. After throwing in a couple of things free of charge and offering a few thousand off of MSRP, I presented my Tread Lightly number and demanded my 1% below invoice. Eventually the GM at this dealer came out and explained he was not aware of any of the problems and that he had ordered the vehicle as a favor since the other dealer had gotten into financial trouble and FCA would not allow them to order vehicles.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I have no complaints about the dealer that I actually purchased from, and am happy with the truck. The dealer I thought I was buying from however, was pathetic

I used Tread Lightly to completely avoided the price negotiations. I decided I wanted to order and was going to use the local dealer until I made the mistake of listening to my wife. The company that handles her marketing handled the marketing for a Ram Dealer 30 minutes away and she was convinced that they were going to give me the best price and customer service. After briefly trying to explain 1% below invoice was the starting point and there probably wasn't much of a price difference I gave up and went with her dealer. I emailed exactly what I wanted to the dealer and after that the experience went down hill. I repeatedly asked for the VON, which he could never produce. Next I called Ram directly who informed me there were no orders from that dealer. I then called the GM who informed me that I was correct, it had not been ordered, but assured me it would be by the end of the day. It was finally ordered, but when I was able to see the build sheet I saw the tow mirrors were added, deleting my 360 view which was not what I requested. I also noticed the sunroof was missing, which I later found out was not available for order at the time. I once again called the GM who gave me a story about how he orders all of his vehicles through another dealer and a few other excuses. Eventually my vehicle arrived and I was then informed I would have to drive three hours away to pick it up, which was never disclosed previously. The GM assured me the other dealer would make everything right. After my three hour drive, neither the salesman I was assigned or the GM knew anything about the situation and had no idea I was using Tread Lightly pricing. After throwing in a couple of things free of charge and offering a few thousand off of MSRP, I presented my Tread Lightly number and demanded my 1% below invoice. Eventually the GM at this dealer came out and explained he was not aware of any of the problems and that he had ordered the vehicle as a favor since the other dealer had gotten into financial trouble and FCA would not allow them to order vehicles.
Gads, what an experience! While this is the first time I've heard about your program (it sounds good), I'm surprised you got even the right series/trim truck with 4 rims on it... That was a lot of errors on the dealer's part. Good thing you checked what was ordered or you might have gotten a classic quad cab with the V6...

RJS

Reaction score
I spent a fair amount of time researching discounts and trade in values as well as talking with some dealers at distance to buy a loaded 19 Laramie. When I though I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted I went to a local dealer about 14 miles away that's pretty well rated for their service.

The closest truck I wanted was 300 miles away according to their computers. We talked about deals for about an hour. The salesman made two trips to the sales manager, one on final price and one on trade in value. They were pretty close to the other prices I had found so they went and got the truck and I picked it up about three days later. The whole negotiation was friendly and reasonably professional.

Their total discount was not as good as the others but they made up the difference on the trade in value which helps in Michigan as you only pay tax on the difference in value.

I'm glad I bought locally as the sunroof and a rear window needed repair. In the next day, over night stay for parts and back on the road repaired the next day, thanks for being a good customer.

I've also used the Mopar 15% off coupons twice now with them and they had no problem accepting them. There parts prices on the two items were also under the Mopar list on the website to start with.

Overall, about as good as I've had at a car dealer in a number of years. Feeny, Midland, Mi.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
HATE dealerships.

I was really looking for a Limited MFT 1500 4X2 in Granite fully loaded.

Dealer #1 - 30 minutes away, had a 4X4 without the MFT, so I figured give it a drive. He told me the numbers (knocked $12K off sticker) and I was OK with that. Told him I would decide on Monday (this was a friday) and not to call and hassle me until Monday. 30 minutes later, he calls - leads with "I'm not trying to hustle you - BUT - another dealer wants to do a trade for this truck, if you can put $1K down, I can hold it for you". Told him to give the truck to the other dealer, and not bother calling me again.

Dealer #2 - Had a 4X4 optioned the way I wanted - sort of - no MFT and some stuff I didn't want. I also drove a 2500 similarly configured with diesel, but really didn't care for the ride or noise from the engine (which is considerably louder in the cabin - not nearly as quiet as the DuraMax or PowerStroke competitors). We worked on the numbers, and he basically knocked off the $2k of options I wasn't interested in. Then told me the "rebate deals" would be gone on Monday - when he previously told me the deals were good until the 15th (monday would have been the 14th) - we went round-n-round with "Offers Good Through October 15th" means GOOD ON OCTOBER 15th. Also wanted to go get my trade appraised - which I told him didn't factor into the number he was giving me - TOTALLY UNRELATED.

Dealer #3 - I had gone in a week earlier to look at a 4X2 Limited with the Colors and Options I wanted. Didn't notice until he pulled it out, that it was an MFT - salesman didn't know either. Took a drive and told him I would be back. Came back a week later to do the deal. Mgr told me he'd knock $10K off the sticker (67K-57K) and that would make it a loss for him. Called BS on him - as those were all DEALER REBATES, and didn't come near to being a loss for him. Got $15K for my trade (which was a little more than I actually expected) - and I could have hassled for more, but I just didn't feel like playing games that day. So out the door ended up at $47K all told - financed 20 with Chrysler at the RIP OFF RATE OF 8.9% (with a decent score and 2 paid in full car loans in the last 5 years - jokes ON THEM - I HATE carrying debt and will pay it off in the 1st qtr of 2020 as it would have been a hassle to write off the 47K this tax year). Finance Mgr tried to talk me into the extended they were offering, but couldn't come near the coverage or price I got for the 7/Unlimited MaxCare I was quoted from someone recommended here ($300 over cost according to them and an acquaintance that works for FCA Corp).

Salesman @ #3 was OK - a veteran (which I have respect for until he told me he left disabled as an OFFICER - YECH! OFFICERS). I usually ENJOY torturing salesman and squeezing the last $$ out of a deal, but my heart just wasn't in it this time. I was exhausted from a couple of weeks of driving EVERY TRUCK FROM EVERY MANUFACTURER, before deciding on the RAM (which was the first one I drove when I started looking - from a dealership that didn't have anything in inventory). I typically find one on the lot that's done the way I want - not having the requisite patience to custom order and wait. I bought from Dealer #3, instead of trying to get another dealer to get that particular truck from them - because I considered the salesman & mgr to be THE LEAST SHADY of the other dealerships I'd been to.

Rick

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
RSConsulting - thanks for the detailed experience info. Kinda' surprised you ended up with #3 due to the lie the manager had told you (however its car lots, the usual thought is they all lie...).
You got a nice price on a Ltd!
Hope you are ok with the 4x2 but in Florida, probably no issue at all. Boat ramps might be tricky unless you have LSD (anti-spin) or ELock.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
RSConsulting - thanks for the detailed experience info. Kinda' surprised you ended up with #3 due to the lie the manager had told you (however its car lots, the usual thought is they all lie...).
You got a nice price on a Ltd!
Hope you are ok with the 4x2 but in Florida, probably no issue at all. Boat ramps might be tricky unless you have LSD (anti-spin) or ELock.

They ALL LIE. Par for the course. I shop for what's on the lot - so typically the dealer that has what I'm looking for - get's the deal - unless they're so skeevy I just can't deal with them.

No boat like never in the future either, so the 4X4 just seems like more stuff to break, down the road.

Rick

Tex_Ram

Reaction score
I found the truck over a week of online searching. Found the dealership that was offering the best rebates and called ahead to have a salesman pull it up front when I was on my way.

Truck: 2020 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Lone Star Night Edition with 12.0 Screen
MSRP: $54,995
Rebates Offered at dealership website came out to exactly $10,000
Online Price: $44,995

Arrived at the dealership at the time I told the salesman I'd be there, looked over the truck thoroughly, test drove it on the highway and back roads. Pulled back up at the dealership and went inside to do paperwork.

I inform him that I'd be paying cash and I tell him to go talk to the sales manager and bring me back their absolute best offer and that I'm only going to give him 1 shot at it or I'll go somewhere else.

He brings back his paperwork and says since I'm not financing through them that they can't offer me all the rebates so instead of $10,000 in Rebates they are offering me $1500 in rebates.

Rebates: $1500
First offer: $53,495
First offer including TT&L (Total Drive Out): $55,800

I tell my wife to go get in her Durango that we're leaving and told the salesman I wasn't going to be penalized for paying cash. He begged me to allow him to at least go tell his sales manager that I was leaving.. I said ok.. You got like 2 minutes.. My wife proceeded to go get in her durango..

Less than 2 minutes later he comes running out of the sales manager office with another offer...

Rebates: $13,500
2nd Offer: $41,495
2nd Offer including TT&L (Total Drive Out):$43,500

I signed the offer, told him to go get the paperwork ready for me to sign and get the truck detailed and ready that I'd be back in about an hour so we could go eat dinner.

Went and ate dinner, explained deal to wife, she ok'ed it, showed back up an hour later, went straight in to sign paperwork was given my keys and was gone..

Test Drive: 30 Minutes
Negotiates: Less than 10 Minutes
Paperwork: Less than 10 Minutes
Total Time at Dealership: Less than an hour

By standing my ground I saved over $12,000 and ended up exactly where I wanted to be at drive out price.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I found the truck over a week of online searching. Found the dealership that was offering the best rebates and called ahead to have a salesman pull it up front when I was on my way.

Arrived at the dealership at the time I told the salesman I'd be there, looked over the truck thoroughly, test drove it on the highway and back roads. Pulled back up at the dealership and went inside to do paperwork.

I inform him that I'd be paying cash and I tell him to go talk to the sales manager and bring me back their absolute best offer and that I'm only going to give him 1 shot at it or I'll go somewhere else.

He brings back his paperwork and says since I'm not financing through them that they can't offer me all the rebates so instead of $10,000 in Rebates they are offering me $1500 in rebates.

I tell my wife to go get in her Durango that we're leaving and told the salesman I wasn't going to be penalized for paying cash. He begged me to allow him to at least go tell his sales manager that I was leaving.. I said ok.. You got like 2 minutes.. My wife proceeded to go get in her durango..

Less than 2 minutes later he comes running out of the sales manager office with another offer...

I signed the offer, told him to go get the paperwork ready for me to sign and get the truck detailed and ready that I'd be back in about an hour so we could go eat dinner.

Went and ate dinner, explained deal to wife, she ok'ed it, showed back up an hour later, went straight in to sign paperwork was given my keys and was gone..

By standing my ground I saved over $12,000 and ended up exactly where I wanted to be at drive out price.
Simply crazy the stupid games they play. Good for you. Why can’t a business just give a buyer a fair price and that’s it? Carmax isn't cheap but at least they don‘t play games. I’ve never looked into Carvana either.

Cortesio

Reaction score

It’s amazing how compelling a customer walking away is to a salesman. I should have played that card myself earlier instead of entertaining his back and forth to the point I just plain didn’t want to do business there.

I really felt like he figured me for a chump. I had done my first test drive in a new Ram a few months ago with him and just wanted to give him a shot at pitching me a better deal than I was getting at the other dealership. He was all “Hey buddy!” when I came to my appointment with him and he thought he just had to find a truck and name a price to close an easy layup sale.

Looking back, the first numbers he brought me were so out of line that I should have called it quits there. That said, I did enjoy the sharp change in attitude he had when I told him I had been offered a deal more than $10k better on a nicer truck from the other dealer. He definitely stopped calling me buddy after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
It’s amazing how compelling a customer walking away is to a salesman. I should have played that card myself earlier instead of entertaining his back and forth to the point I just plain didn’t want to do business there.

I really felt like he figured me for a chump. I had done my first test drive in a new Ram a few months ago with him and just wanted to give him a shot at pitching me a better deal than I was getting at the other dealership. He was all “Hey buddy!” when I came to my appointment with him and he thought he just had to find a truck and name a price to close an easy layup sale.

Looking back, the first numbers he brought me were so out of line that I should have called it quits there. That said, I did enjoy the sharp change in attitude he had when I told him I had been offered a deal more than $10k better on a nicer truck from the other dealer. He definitely stopped calling me buddy after that.

That's rich. If dealerships (cause' it's got to be the owner and/or GM that are allowing this sleaze) would just figure out what buyers want... it's not like it is hidden what people think of car salespeople.
Like I've posted before, I knowingly "overpaid" and stayed more local after getting (what I felt was) jerked around with a high-volume dealer in the NE. I spent a good $3-4K more than I had to (but saved 24 hrs round trip of driving) to buy just an hour away. The sales experience was fine where I went and the 23 year veteran salesman (at the same dealer no less) was very low key.
Then two months later when the big June rebates hit, I sent my son to the same dealer, he got a Ltd as well, got a great deal ($10K less than me for a bit more truck) and so that dealer sold two high profit trucks.
Morale of my story? The fair and low-key approach got the sales and also multiple referrals/positive reviews. The other guy gets negative reviews and a warning to mostly stay away from... I say "mostly" as I know that some enjoy fighting the dealer and a buyer who wants to can likely save money at the volume NE dealer.

Lit_AF

Hardware Geek - Pro Detailer
Reaction score
Well, I mean you can have as many as you want of Ram dealers in the US.
Not the case here. Check this below, no one else in the country can have privileges to sell any of the brands without his approval.
Talk about frustration. Good luck getting your vehicle as US spec'd, he won't service it too.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Well, I mean you can have as many as you want of Ram dealers in the US.
Not the case here. Check this below, no one else in the country can have privileges to sell any of the brands without his approval.
Talk about frustration. Good luck getting your vehicle as US spec'd, he won't service it too.
Yes this is a US/Canada issue, as opposed to outside the country/North America.

Cortesio

Reaction score
That's rich. If dealerships (cause' it's got to be the owner and/or GM that are allowing this sleaze) would just figure out what buyers want... it's not like it is hidden what people think of car salespeople.
Like I've posted before, I knowingly "overpaid" and stayed more local after getting (what I felt was) jerked around with a high-volume dealer in the NE. I spent a good $3-4K more than I had to (but saved 24 hrs round trip of driving) to buy just an hour away. The sales experience was fine where I went and the 23 year veteran salesman (at the same dealer no less) was very low key.
Then two months later when the big June rebates hit, I sent my son to the same dealer, he got a Ltd as well, got a great deal ($10K less than me for a bit more truck) and so that dealer sold two high profit trucks.
Morale of my story? The fair and low-key approach got the sales and also multiple referrals/positive reviews. The other guy gets negative reviews and a warning to mostly stay away from... I say "mostly" as I know that some enjoy fighting the dealer and a buyer who wants to can likely save money at the volume NE dealer.

Exactly.

I know salesmen are in the business to make big margin sales and earn the fat commissions that go with them. My wife was telling me about her only prior experience at a new car dealership when she was a minor and her parents were buying a minivan. They had young kids with them, weren’t informed about pricing or the whole process in general, and the salesman took them for a ride. It dragged on and between the restless kids and not having a clue what a good deal looked like, they agreed to pretty unfavorable terms.

Not wanting my pay to be based on how well I squeeze folks like that out of their money is why I’m not in sales. I don’t necessarily begrudge a salesman for taking down an easy mark because no one forces you to sign the deal, but you have got to be able to switch to a new tactic if a customer doesn’t pick up any of the bull you put down.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Yes. There's always the dumb buyer - I did that many moons ago, paid over MSRP for a "rare" one off truck at a dealer (new). It was the only one equipped like it was (trim, drivetrain, tranny), and probably should have sold for a discount but along came me, wanting a 4 speed instead of an automatic, so I happily paid a thou' over MSRP... I'll bet they were laughing after I left. But then, I traded not one but two older trucks to get the new truck. One of my trades sat on their lot over 90 days then they wholesaled it, so maybe it wasn't such a bad deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online