5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What was FCAs school of thought?

If you want to see a production challenge, look at 2015 F150. Not only did they have to re tool two plants to produce the new truck, they had to make major modifications and upgrades to mass produce aluminum. They also had to upgrade and train all of the dealerships. Then, they had to create an all new infrastructure in the aluminum industry to support producing the best selling vehicle in the US out of an all new material. And yes, there was some bumps but their transition should be looked at as the gold standard in production. They never missed a beat. I had to write a paper on it. Impressive. FCA cant get a belt driven electric motor add on right.
One of Fords more significant accomplishments in introducing the aluminum F150 was ensuring that they had a widespread network of fully trained aluminum body repair shops aside from their own facilities. Many dealerships are getting away from maintaining their own collision repair areas and thus contract the jobs out. Had they not had this foresight things could have gone bad quickly. I recall asking my insurance agent if my rates would spike should I purchase one of these. I was assured they would not because the home office had already addressed this issue and were confident Ford had its ducks in a row for this launch. When an insurance company believes (pardon the pun) you know you're in good hands.

Last edited:
If you want to see a production challenge, look at 2015 F150. Not only did they have to re tool two plants to produce the new truck, they had to make major modifications and upgrades to mass produce aluminum. They also had to upgrade and train all of the dealerships. Then, they had to create an all new infrastructure in the aluminum industry to support producing the best selling vehicle in the US out of an all new material. And yes, there was some bumps but their transition should be looked at as the gold standard in production. They never missed a beat. I had to write a paper on it. Impressive. FCA cant get a belt driven electric motor add on right.

Gearing up for production of the 2015 F150 was no small feat thats for sure. I remember reading a lot about all the hurdles they had to overcome and what it took to re-tool the factories and set up a completely new infrastructure.

It was an epic launch. Not just a new design, but an all new infrastructure, increased aluminum production capacity, on site recycling of scrap aluminum, training, ect. So someone tell me again why FCA cant get a bolt on hybrid accessory right from launch?

It was an epic launch. Not just a new design, but an all new infrastructure, increased aluminum production capacity, on site recycling of scrap aluminum, training, ect. So someone tell me again why FCA cant get a bolt on hybrid accessory right from launch?

Ford still sells that F150....:p

What are these widespread issues? I've heard isolated instances of glitchy 12" screen (even older 8.4 systems require updates from time to time), water through antenna/3rd brake light (every manufacture has this), funny sound from noice cancelling system, now the magnet missing in door (edit: brake noise). Non of these are huge, widespread problems, and not every truck is leaving with these issues. There are many more "happy" trucks on the road. 2015 F150 launch wasnt without minor hiccups either (misaligned cab corners comes to mind). One exception or goof I'll add was the tow mirrors deleting 360 camera.

IMO they have done a "slow ramp up" with holding back 3.6/5.7 w/ e-torque and rambox and rebel and reg cab. And they stated summer or "later" release for these items from the get-go. Per pickuptrucks.com they won't be getting an etorque to test until August. I do think they opened up ordering of the etorque too early but you guys only have yourselves to blame for pushing dealers to push FCA to open up ordering. They just did what they were being asked to do, which is their fault if they gave in too early.. If EPA is in fact holding up etorque to perform internal verification then FCA's hands are tied by that timeline also.
In late February FCA opens up its configurator for people to build and price the all new 2019 Ram 1500. As long as it does not say late availability or has no price next to an item it can be built now. I go to my dealer and am advised that FCA will take the order for my Rebel effective March 6th. On March 7th I've placed my order, received a VON and POC. On March 10th I now have a VIN and am in D status (dealer has allocation and all parts are available for this build). Why then do I not have my vehicle over 3 months later? The many members of this forum who are in the same situation are only a sample (I'm guessing) of an even greater number of people not involved with forums wondering, where is my vehicle? This is not the dealers fault that FCA pushed them to accept orders because you can't place an order unless FCA opens the banks. They "talked it" but failed to "walk it"!

In late February FCA opens up its configurator for people to build and price the all new 2019 Ram 1500. As long as it does not say late availability or has no price next to an item it can be built now. I go to my dealer and am advised that FCA will take the order for my Rebel effective March 6th. On March 7th I've placed my order, received a VON and POC. On March 10th I now have a VIN and am in D status (dealer has allocation and all parts are available for this build). Why then do I not have my vehicle over 3 months later? The many members of this forum who are in the same situation are only a sample (I'm guessing) of an even greater number of people not involved with forums wondering, where is my vehicle? This is not the dealers fault that FCA pushed them to accept orders because you can't place an order unless FCA opens the banks. They "talked it" but failed to "walk it"!
Perfect description. If it isnt available, dont offer it. Period.

Couldnt have said it any better. I order on 4/8/18 and as of today 6/21/18 still no truck also. I been in KZ for 30 days!!! How is that possible? Just ship the F'n truck. Hire more drivers! Get more contracted drivers and companies! This isn't that hard to figure out?!?! FCA is very quick to take the cash from buys but where is the product? Honestly, only reason I ever went with RAM was because my family gets EP pricing. Well this is my 3rd and last RAM. Customer service is garbage also. 2nd Ram was a lemon and dealing with that process for 6 months was/is hell on earth.

Adding some perspective:

I ordered a stock bathroom vanity and sink top from a big box home improvement store on 4/13. It was a new design and offering. Finally arrived at the store available for pickup earlier this week (6/18). Upon driving 1 hr to go pick it up, then 1 hr back, opened up the packaging and the sink top has a massive crack in it. Now back to waiting for a new one to come in and another trip back to town.

We moved into our house on 6/4, and would have expected to have this bathroom vanity, sink, and faucet long installed by now (it is for our common main floor/guest bathroom). Unfortunately, my wife HAS to have this vantiy, otherwise we'd long ago have gotten a different one due to the wait.

If I have to wait this long for something as simple as a vanity (couple boards and drawer) and a sink top, I think y'all should relax a little bit :)

Adding some perspective:

I ordered a stock bathroom vanity and sink top from a big box home improvement store on 4/13. It was a new design and offering. Finally arrived at the store available for pickup earlier this week (6/18). Upon driving 1 hr to go pick it up, then 1 hr back, opened up the packaging and the sink top has a massive crack in it. Now back to waiting for a new one to come in and another trip back to town.

We moved into our house on 6/4, and would have expected to have this bathroom vanity, sink, and faucet long installed by now (it is for our common main floor/guest bathroom). Unfortunately, my wife HAS to have this vantiy, otherwise we'd long ago have gotten a different one due to the wait.

If I have to wait this long for something as simple as a vanity (couple boards and drawer) and a sink top, I think y'all should relax a little bit :)

$100 vanity vs 60k truck? hmmmm I don't see the relation here. Pretty sure FCA was planning for the 5th Ten a lot longer then this vanity you speak of but nice try.

Vanities dont cost 60K and we are not ordering trucks from xxxmart
exactly, pretty sure FCA could have planned this a lot better then this company planning/building a vanity lol

Missed the point entirely. If something as simple as a vanity couldn't be delivered in 2 months I'm not surprised something as complex as a truck wouldn't be delivered in 2 months. Cost difference is moot IMO, just because something costs more doesn't necessarily mean it should magically be produced faster. You could argue communication should be better and I would agree.

Slow ramp up = good.
Having to wait for your truck = bummer

Missed the point entirely. If something as simple as a vanity couldn't be delivered in 2 months I'm not surprised something as complex as a truck wouldn't be delivered in 2 months. Cost difference is moot IMO, just because something costs more doesn't necessarily mean it should magically be produced faster. You could argue communication should be better and I would agree.

Slow ramp up = good.
Having to wait for your truck = bummer
You missed the entire point. As I stated pretty sure Ram has been planning this 5th Gen build a lot longer then your vanity lol

So i googled average wait times when ordering a vehicle. Edmunds article suggests 8-12 weeks. You're approaching 11 looks like? I would have expected at least 12 when ordering a completely brand new (save engine) truck.

What evidence is there that production is not going close to plan? Another thread mentioned purposeful (planned) 60% line capacity recently has ended (as planned). Articles suggested earlier that there were supplier issues (which have affected more than just FCA) - hard to plan for supplier issues with just-in-time production practices. EPA maybe but e-torque was "later in the year" as was rambox from the get go (neither of which should affect you based on sig).

I see you ordered a quad cab which has 6-4" bed. My best guess is that most early production was allocated to most common cab configuration of crew cab and bed configuration of 5-7".

I read months back about the brand new Ford expedition missing capacity needs early on, despite not having significantly larger monthly sales.

Couldnt have said it any better. I order on 4/8/18 and as of today 6/21/18 still no truck also. I been in KZ for 30 days!!! How is that possible? Just ship the F'n truck. Hire more drivers! Get more contracted drivers and companies! This isn't that hard to figure out?!?! FCA is very quick to take the cash from buys but where is the product? Honestly, only reason I ever went with RAM was because my family gets EP pricing. Well this is my 3rd and last RAM. Customer service is garbage also. 2nd Ram was a lemon and dealing with that process for 6 months was/is hell on earth.
I pretty much already know what I'm going to say when my truck finally arrives: Finally got my truck and love it. Special Note to Ram Cares, if you think for one moment that I forgive you for the hell you've put me and others through forget it. My loyalty to you is gone. If you want to get it back you damn well better pucker up and kiss...

I just got an email survey from FCA about my web chat with them on 6/16. Problem is - I didn't web chat with them on that date. Maybe the root of their information date errors is system wide?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back